996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Stereo System Installation in the Cab!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
New Stereo System Installation in the Cab!

Well I couldn't live with it any longer.. the stock system had to go.. and the new system is as follow... Obviosly a Cab is difficult to get decent bass out of unless you tear out rear seats or make enclosures behind the front seats.. I wasn't looking for a lot of bass just some good clean sound with a little punch... So this worked out perfect.. The system cranks, cruising at 100 on the freeway you can still hear it loud and clear!!

First the deck is a Kenwood 910 DVD/TV 6 1/2" LCD Screen..

The screen folds away

The Brain is hidden underneath the passenger seat.. And the antennas for the TV are behind the window pillars..

The front & rear speakers were replaced with Focal 100V2 component's 4" woofers with 1" tweeters.. The factory enclosures had to be modified for the Focal's to fit, also some glueing was involved.
They sound great!! So much better then stock!

What a perfect time to paint the screws that are used on the speaker grills..

In order to get some additional Bass. I bought the upgraded speaker enclosures that fit into the door panels, I then replaced the factory speakers with the Focal 5WS 5" woofer... These sound awesome! Excellent bass from a 5" woofer.. very impressive.. rock songs sound the best, when R&B Music is on the bass needs to be turned down..

Old 08-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
The 5WS had to be cut on the edges to fit flush in the factory enclosure..

The amp is a Phoenix Gold 500.4 A 4 channel amp with enough power to run everything..the factory carpet was ordered and will be replaced when it comes in..

Also I removed the factory CD Changer and replaced it with the Kenwood music Keg made by Phatnoise... This is the best thing made since slice bread I upgraded the hard drive to a 60gig which holds about 800 Cd's.. It took me 3 weeks to convert over 600 cds to MP3 format which will all be installed on the 60gig drive..

Link to more High Res Pics

Last edited by Kevin M; 08-18-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:14 AM
carlosfromspain is infamous around these parts
Nice setup! I like that hard drive too... 800CDs
I'm also using those Focals (in 6") but in my wife's car stereo installation, they are awsome!

Old 08-19-2003, 03:23 AM
EM 996 GTS is infamous around these parts
pimp!

Old 08-19-2003, 06:58 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great! where did you get those amazing low cost speaker boxes? LOL

Old 08-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Kevin - WOW! Really nice. How is the screen for videos? Is it convenient for both the driver and passenger to see the screen? How is the tv reception for local channels? Or is it primarily for DVDs?

You're really sinking time and effort and the car shows it.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Modaholic
Carlos.. yes the keg is awesome!! I love it... bought another unit for my boat... so you can just pull the hard drive out and take it from car to car or boat.. I'll probably get another one for the Cayenne

Darren..

Ken we watched a DVD on the way home from the coast.. the screen is very clear when the sun isn't shining down on it.. so top up for DVD/TV watching... I was able to glance down every once in a while and watch most of the movie... the sound is great so you catch what your missing while not watching... I was surprised with the TV tuner as well.. it was very clear on most of the full power stations in the local area.. The antennas, two of them, are in each window pillar behind the leather pieces. It made the trip go by faster for sure watching the DVD

Old 08-19-2003, 11:14 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
again KEVIN Nice system.. do you know the dpeth odf the door enclures and the factory speaker mounts on the 996,, i'm thinking of using Diamond Audio speakers on my car,, i also like focal, but i loved my diamonds on my old clk ... also i was wondeirng are you using seperates or coaxials???

i too am going for clarity over bass... im just piece by piece buying parts for teh 996....

it'll probably take me a year to do mine...

Old 08-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Modaholic
I honestly don't Joe.. but the focals have huge magnets I don't see why the Diamond's wouldn't fit... Im using separates in the front and rear.. and the doors are just a 5 3/8" coax woofer

Old 08-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by 02barebones996
again KEVIN Nice system.. do you know the dpeth odf the door enclures and the factory speaker mounts on the 996,, i'm thinking of using Diamond Audio speakers on my car,, i also like focal, but i loved my diamonds on my old clk ... also i was wondeirng are you using seperates or coaxials???

i too am going for clarity over bass... im just piece by piece buying parts for teh 996....

it'll probably take me a year to do mine...
Do not forget... you can mount a 6.5" driver in the stock location. The factory enclosure has to be removed, but any installer worth their salt and plasma should easily and cheaply be able to make a baffle. Also by using a 6.5" driver you can get a tuned 3 way component system (6.5" in doors, 4" and tweeter in dash) from Focal, JL, or Quart, thus only needing a 2 channel amp. I had that setup in my C2 (with subs) and it sounded excellent.