996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tried my new Moton Suspension at Pocono Long Course (Corner Photo Sequences too!!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 10:08 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Tried my new Moton Suspension at Pocono Long Course Today

So off we went to Pocono. The 6Speed Group met at the track. It consisted of me, TonyNJ, dmilzoff (and son) and Tony and Jeremy from PES. The weather was good and the track was superb!! It was actually the first time I ran this portion of the track.

Myself, Tony@PES and dmilzoff are seasoned track junkies. Jeremy is getting his sea legs and this was a first time for TonyNJ.

The day was divided in two halves. The first half we ran portions of the Tri-Oval with the double infield and the second half of the day was amazing!! We ran two of the straights and one of the banked corners!! How cool!! I hit 157 before I had to start braking for the infield section.

Here are some pics from the day:

New Suspension with Nearly Zero Lean. Compare with the Ferrari

Passing this guy was a joke!!

This is why I like PDA…….VARIETY!!!

Full acceleration onto the front straight from the infield.

A few pics of the KPVTT in the paddock garage.

Last edited by KPV; 06-19-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:09 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
TonyNJ on the front straight.

TonyNJ accelerating onto the front straight.

Instructor/Driver conference.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with the new suspension. It is all I ever wanted from this car. The interesting thing is that a new weak link has reared its ugly head!!! The tires!!! Does the phrase….â€ÂSlip sliding away†mean anything to you? LOL

I will need to look into 18’s with some Hoosiers for the track. UGH!!! More $

Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Sounds great! Wish I could have been there.

I have my Moton's ordered and should have them installed in a little over one week (I hope).

Old 06-19-2004, 10:14 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
how were your times compared to the other TT's and compared to your PSS9 times? There is no question you should be on 18's. Why don't you just sell the 19s and get some 18s with PS Cups? You could probably end up not outlaying much cash.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:39 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
awesome. Glad you are enjoying them. Car looks like it has no roll at all. Do you have any in-car devices to do Gforce #'s?

Old 06-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Ken... car looks great at the track... right at home! In fact, the only thing that looked out of place this time was the 19" wheels, ha.

Wonder if they'll ever come out with 19" race rubber? Gallardos use pretty similar sizes to our 19" setup. Anyways, it's no brainer that 18" track rubber is the way to go, but just wondering outloud.

What is that film that you've got all over your car? Is that just a regular aerokit front bra? I should get some of that stuff for the track.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KPV
[B][u]I will need to look into 18’s with some Hoosiers for the track. UGH!!! More $
Ken: Just lose the 19" wheels and try some Michelin Pilot Sport Cups -- you'll be amazed at the difference.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Exotic Performance
xico is infamous around these parts
get some michelin PS2 . Call me ill get you a deal,(they are great)

Old 06-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Moderatorette
Porsche Babe is infamous around these parts
That looks like an insane course; I know you guys had a great time.

Once again Great pictures. I love the way the cars show themselves on the track

The newest track junkie - TonyNJ - It's addicting
Heard YOU had a BLAST - Knowing you, can't imagine what took you so long to get on the track in the first place

Wish I could have been there, the only thing that can keep me away from the track - A broken foot!

Old 06-19-2004, 01:36 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Ken,

Judging from one above pic it appears your frame is twisting. Maybe the rear sway needs to be stiffer or maybe tying your sway bar together with the coil towers?

You would also be amazed what 9.5's on 265 MPSC's in the front and 12.5's on 315 MPSC's in the rear will do. Also have you firmed up your motor mounts?

Old 06-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Orli930 is infamous around these parts
KEEP PRACTICING, your going to need it!!!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 08:45 PM
KPV
Tim,
I wish you could have been here too. I guess, you would rather be golfing.

You will definitely have pride of purchase.

Offroadr35,
This was the first time I drove these two course configurations (one morning configuration and one afternoon configuration). To be honest, at 2.5 miles, it took a little while to learn it. I kept saying to myself...OH, this is that turn!! By the end of the day, I got the hang of it. We didn't time ourselves. There is simply no comparison between the two suspensions.
Regarding the use of 18's, in my opinion, the only benefit to going to 18's is the better choice of tires. Obviously that is a huge thing but I am hoping with the release of the 997 with its 19 inch wheels, we will soon have better tire choices. They are the same sizes as what we are all running right now. Until then, I could go 18, but it requires special 18's to fit over my brakes and that is a big expense. By the way, the Brembos performed very well considering I was slowing from 160 to 60 repeatedly on each lap on the front straight, not to mention all fo the other braking involved.

Soon2be993tt,
I have to agree, especially with the addition of the new sway bars, the car stayed amazingly flat. Very confidence inspiring. No in-car G-force device. What do you recommend? What options are out there?

StephenTi,
I know, I know, 19's. Read my comments to Offroadr35.
THe film is a "Track Wrap" that comes in 30 inch x 50 foot rolls. It has a slight tack to one side and is safe for your paint. You can order it for $25/roll from IMP. Call Joe Casella there at 973.253.3900 and tell him Ken sent you.
THe front bra is a Speedlingeried that I purchased through the board with a 5% discount. They are a sponsor. It is made for the GT2 bumper. Excellent piece. All is pristine beneath it!

Jack,
Ugh!!! I know!! I know!!! It is an expensive change that I am not looking forward to.

Xico,
I will be looking at new tires. Can you email me your source's tire prices? If you don't have my email, talk to Orli. Thanks!!!

Michele,
We all missed you!! Your enthusiasm last time added a certain spice to the day. We are planning two other days this year so you will have a chance to redeem yourself!!!
They are:
  • Sunday, July 25 - Pocono North Course - TonyNJ and I will be taking the MINI's!!!
  • Friday, Saturday and Sunday, October 8-10 - Watkins Glen - UNBELIEVABLE TRACK!!!! I did this on my Ducati last year and it was amazing!!!
So, mark them on your calendar!!! We hope to see you there!

Chad,
What the heck are you talking about? The car has felt very torsionally stiff to the point that I am lifting a wheel when angling up driveways and such. On the track, it felt perfect....except for the tires. Please explian your comment.

Orli,
Just a little reminder for you my friend...........
I have been tracking since 1985ish. Tony has now tracked once. Sean has tracked his M3 and motorcycle and I am not sure about Ron. So, regarding the Tail of the Dragon, I reiterate.............
Run and Hide!

Old 06-19-2004, 10:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Ken,

Look at the rear of your car in the fourth pic of your car. Yes, the weight is being transfered to the far back rear tire and so it appears to be too much body roll at that location. If anything the front appears to be slightly light as if you are accelerating hard out of a turn in a lower gear. I believe the rebound stroke on the new four ways would also help eliminate this.

Ken, this is no flame, just what it appears to me and I may be wrong in my conclusion and advice.

Last edited by cjv; 06-19-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Nice shots Ken. The car looks great on the track... right at home!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:01 PM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
Ken
Your car looked superb out there. It was nice to see a track junkie as well as a mod junkie.
OK. So I'm sold on the shift upgrades that you have. One feel of your shiftier and - exactly which combination are you using and where is the best deal for the set up?

PS. You were doing 160 at the end of the straight !?! WOW. I was redlining 5th (148 or so) at the end of the back straight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tried my new Moton Suspension at Pocono Long Course (Corner Photo Sequences too!!!)