996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

where do you put the jack stands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:03 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
where do you put the jack stands?

Hi.
I have a good jack, but if I want to change my own oil,
I need to get the whole back end up in the air, so I'd
expect to have to jack one end of the rear up, and
then put a jackstand somewhere under that end, then
do the same on the other side. However, when I jack
up one side of the rear, I use the jacking point for the
jack. What other part in the rear is safe for a jackstand?
thanks,
Joe

Old 03-24-2004, 05:45 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: where do you put the jack stands?

Originally posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi.
I have a good jack, but if I want to change my own oil,
I need to get the whole back end up in the air, so I'd
expect to have to jack one end of the rear up, and
then put a jackstand somewhere under that end, then
do the same on the other side. However, when I jack
up one side of the rear, I use the jacking point for the
jack. What other part in the rear is safe for a jackstand?
thanks,
Joe
Joe, this question has been posed to many mechanics ect including my dealer mechanic. It is safe to put the jack's rubber jack pad under the center on the 964 crankcase, rt in the middle at the lowest point of the crankcase where the seam is. Jack it up high enough to slip jack stands under each side of the main suspension member in the rear. Works great and I have done it quite often lately.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
Joe,
I have a jack that will reach the cross member in front of the engine. I lift there and place the stands under the jack points on the sides. Here's a link to the jack AC Jacks
-Glen

Old 03-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
There are two versions of the AC jack. Do you need the long version to lift the whole rear end or can you do it with the shorter version? It would be a lot easier to store the shorter version, if it actually works.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Alsodo you buy any of the adapters that they offer, as well?

Old 03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
I have the long version. It also reaches the front jack point on the S2000. I don't think the short version would reach either. I don't have any of the accessories but I will be ordering a set of their jackstands. They have a new version with a flat rubber padded top which will work great for the P-cars jack points.

Last edited by Dr. T; 03-24-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Great. BTW, how often do you change the oil? I drive the GT2 pretty hard, but not that often. I was thinking every 3K.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Any particular type of jack stand that you recommend? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
AC makes great jack stands as well. I also have their long jack. It is a thing of beauty.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 PM
I looked on the AC Hydraulics' website and there are a number of jacks to choose from. Any specific model number? Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:00 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Code Red
There are two versions of the AC jack. Do you need the long version to lift the whole rear end or can you do it with the shorter version? It would be a lot easier to store the shorter version, if it actually works.
The shorter AC will lift it from behind under the crankcase as I describe and it's about 1/2 the price of the long one. AC also makes the best Jack stands. You want the ones with the flat rubber jack pad tops.

This is where I bought my AC jack stands:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html

Old 03-24-2004, 07:01 PM
These are the stands. AC Stands They are quite pricey but so are our cars and we're trusting our lives to them! I change the oil every 5-7k or yearly, whichever comes first. Every 3k is probably overkill but it's cheap and fun to do it yourself.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Code Red
I looked on the AC Hydraulics' website and there are a number of jacks to choose from. Any specific model number? Thanks again.
The shorter reach AC floor jack that I use is the standard DK20.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:05 PM
The long is DK 13HLQ

Old 03-24-2004, 07:37 PM
I just bought the shorter jack online, since it seems like it will work to change the oil. I also picked up two jack stands, as well. Thanks for all of the advise.It sure makes it a lot easier once some one has already figured it out. It should be paid back after just a few oil changes based upon the prices that dealers charge in LA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: where do you put the jack stands?