996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Build quality?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Headdoc is infamous around these parts
Build quality?

I now have a small list of items that are covered under warranty. Clanking in my door; rear brake light so loose it may fall off; convertible gasket falling off; passanger seat clanking. The worst is the loud and constant "creaking" noise coming from the inside of my convertible top. Is this covered under warranty? The noise definitely takes away from the driving experience.

My BMW had virtually no problems or annoyances throughout the four years I owned it.

This pisses me off as this is not a ford focus where craftsmanship is performed by robots.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
Headdoc, what kind've porsche do you own? A turbo cab? I would be very pissed if they creaking noise was not covered under warranty. Depending on the year of your car, sounds like a few extra problems than the usual...

Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
In my experience, cabs tend to make creaking sounds due to the lack of rigidity...

T

Old 08-26-2004, 04:42 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Porsche build quality is superb IMO
especially if you compare it to some of the Italian sports cars...

Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure if I agree totally with that msindi.
RMS comes to mind. I can't tell you how many posts I've seen re: failed spoilers, dash and door vibration etc. I've had paint problems on my 03. I owned a 01 C2 before that and from new had interior vibration issues with that car on an ongoing basis. I'm really not sure where my future buyning intentions lie now. Just waiting for what 997 glitch appears!

Old 08-26-2004, 11:59 PM
I understand that I am to expect certain issues not found in coupes, more pronounced body flex, etc. I have had the car 7 weeks and the noise in the top is constant and loud. Do dealers honor warranty claims of this nature.

After all, we are talking about $150k car.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:17 AM
OKHJOON190 is infamous around these parts
headdoc you got my midnight blue tt cab ... im sorry you have had problems with it ... i still have not put my top up since i got the car... i hope mine doesnt creek as well ... but i do know that the dealer will take care of anything you have problems with

Old 08-27-2004, 06:55 AM
Greg L. is infamous around these parts
I have had minor problems including rattles covered under warranty. If you are inclined to DIY, renntech.org has several TSBs posted regarding fixing rattles/squeaks.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:40 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
My ford doesn't rattle.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car. I guess my expectations were that I would not experience so many little problems so early.

OKH, We need to meet sometime so you can see your creation first hand. Maybe at Lucent.

dgussin1 My ford doesn't rattle.

With that kind of luck I would go to Vegas. My 99 Cobra Vert must have been made by blind, one armed, mongoloids because that thing was a POS.

I will make an appt. at the Auto Gallery this week so that they can address my concerns. Anybody have good/bad expereinces there?

Last edited by Headdoc; 08-27-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
adsc4s is infamous around these parts
Why would you say your car was not assembled by robots?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:28 AM
That's true, but they are German Robots.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:19 AM
OKHJOON190 is infamous around these parts
anytime ... id love to meet and put our cars side by side

Old 08-28-2004, 02:31 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Headdoc
I understand that I am to expect certain issues not found in coupes, more pronounced body flex, etc. I have had the car 7 weeks and the noise in the top is constant and loud. Do dealers honor warranty claims of this nature.

After all, we are talking about $150k car.

they should, We've had my girlfriends accord in for rattles numerous times and they always get fixed, unfortunately then it's just something else

Old 08-28-2004, 04:13 AM
RKS
RKS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by TUUNER
In my experience, cabs tend to make creaking sounds due to the lack of rigidity...

T
IMO Porsche has created an exceptionally rigid body for the tt cab. I don't get any "creaking" on the street or track. Have had the top up only once or twice in 7k miles so can't really tell if it creaks or not. Haven't driven a coupe hard, but I can't imagine it being much stiffer that this cab.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build quality?