997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Removing airbag stickers from the leather visors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 AM
winternj is infamous around these parts
Removing airbag stickers from the leather visors

Just wondering if anyone's removed the airbag warning stickers from the optional leather visors?

I have the Cocoa leather which seems to be very soft, and my car is about 6 months old, so I may have missed the boat on it, but they are becoming more and more of an eyesore to me.

I want to remove it, but I'm a little scared that it may damage the leather in the process.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 AM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
I have peeled mine (no damage) and there is some residue left on the visors which needs to come off. Maybe MoeMistry could chime in. Damm things are a bugger!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winternj
Just wondering if anyone's removed the airbag warning stickers from the optional leather visors?

I have the Cocoa leather which seems to be very soft, and my car is about 6 months old, so I may have missed the boat on it, but they are becoming more and more of an eyesore to me.

I want to remove it, but I'm a little scared that it may damage the leather in the process.

Thanks
Someone posted detailed instructions using isopropyl alcohol to loosen and remove the stickers and then 3M adhesive remover to get rid of the residue. I followed these instructions on my black leather visors and everything worked. I removed the visors, took my time and used lots of leather conditioner once the stickers were off.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
You'll have to join but here's the link to detailed instructions with great pictures.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5039

Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
miboxer96 is infamous around these parts
I think the renntech DIY was for the vinyl visors.

I did it, and it worked ok. Can still see a little bit of outline on my gray visors, but better than the airbag warning. Basically, soak a paper towel in 91% rubbing alcohol, and put the paper towel over the sticker for 15 minutes. Remove paper towel, and peel sticker off....clean area with goo off, and vinyl conditioner.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
do the euro ones come with these warnings?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by miboxer96
I think the renntech DIY was for the vinyl visors.

I did it, and it worked ok. Can still see a little bit of outline on my gray visors, but better than the airbag warning. Basically, soak a paper towel in 91% rubbing alcohol, and put the paper towel over the sticker for 15 minutes. Remove paper towel, and peel sticker off....clean area with goo off, and vinyl conditioner.
Your right - he did write the instructions for vinyl but someone posted a while back that he followed the same instructions for leather without a problem. I did too - actually worked better on my leather visors. On my vinyl visors I could still see a shadow outline of where the sticker was - not so on the leather. Other option would be to buy replacement visors without the US warnings from Gert at www.carnewal.com

Old 09-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Maison is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You'll have to join but here's the link to detailed instructions with great pictures.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5039
Would you mind copying posting the instructions/pictures here? Would rather not join Renntech forums.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:38 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
<TABLE class=ipbtable cellSpacing=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=post2 vAlign=top>

</TD><TD class=post2 id=post-main-25023 vAlign=top width="100%">Here You go - Originally posted to Renntech by "Orient Express." Had to do this in 3 sections to to posting limitations<!-- THE POST 25023 -->

In our modern litigious world, manufacturers have learned that they must advise the users of their product of everything that might hurt them by using the product no matter how stupid it is, so when the users do hurt themselves, blame the manufacturer, and demand compensation, the manufacturer can say they warned them. Thus everything these days from cars to coffee cups have warning stickers of some sort on them. So it is with airbags, and every car owner in the US is blessed with stickers on the sunvisor telling them to be careful.

If you are like me, I got the message a while ago, and don't need to be reminded every time I pull down the sunvisor.

So I decided to take the stickers off, and wanted to share my method of how I did it. The method I am describing will work with any sticker that is applied to a plastic or vinyl surface with the heat laminated decal process. This is what is used for the Porsche airbag warning label stickers.

What you will need:
91% Isopropyl Alcohol – Common rubbing alcohol available from your local drug store.
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover
Some paper towels
Vinyl Protectant such as Meguiars NXT Cockpit Shine
Sunvisors

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 800 x 532 ] - Click to view full image

Time to remove the 2 stickers from a sunvisor: less than 30 minutes.

Process:

1. While this process can be done with the sunvisors in the car, it is best to remove them and do the removal on a flat surface. To remove a sunvisor, no tools are required. Simply twist and pull the sunvisor off of its pivot arm. It will slide right off.

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 800 x 531 ] - Click to view full image

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
2. It is best to remove the vanity mirror and light assembly from the visor. This is because the alcohol can run down inside the sunvisor, and if it is left there, it can discolor the plastic. I also put a piece of paper towel inside the assembly to catch excess alcohol.

3. Take a piece of paper towel and fold it to the size the sticker that you are removing. Wet the paper towel with the alcohol and place it on top of the sticker and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes. Keep the paper towel wet, but not too wet that the alcohol runs off of the paper towel.

WARNING: Don’t use any solvent stronger than Isopropyl Alcohol. Stronger solvents will discolor the vinyl and plastic that the sunvisor is made of!

4. After 10-15minutes the sticker decal will have softened, and is ready for removal. Using your fingernail, gently loosen the sticker on one end, and start pulling it off. Patience is the key here. Take your time, and gently pull off the sticker in one piece. If it starts to tear, and is still sticking to the sunvisor, back off, put the wet paper towel back on, and let it soak some more. You are doing it correctly when you can pull off the sticker in one piece.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
5. After you have the sticker off, there will be a gummy residue left on the visor. Use the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover to get rid of that residue. When you can rub your hand or a rag over the sunvisor and it does not stick to it, you are done with that side.

Because the decal is applied with heat, there is some distortion of the embossed grain on the vinyl side of the sunvisor. This will leave a faint outline of where the sticker was. Polishing the vinyl can minimize this outline.

6. Next do the other side, same process.

7. After you have removed the decals, and have cleaned the surface of residue, polish the visor with the Vinyl Protectant.

8. Put the vanity mirror back in the visor, and slide the sunvisor back onto its pivot rod.

Step back and admire your work <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_25023-->

Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
To remove the visor requires more than just a gentle pull...but it will come off the stem...just pull straight so you don't stress or bend the stem.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks, carnuts.

How will it effect the lighted vanity mirror when it's pulled off? I guess I'm concern about the power source to the mirror? Or is the mirror light battery operated? Thanks, again.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Maison
Thanks, carnuts.

How will it effect the lighted vanity mirror when it's pulled off? I guess I'm concern about the power source to the mirror? Or is the mirror light battery operated? Thanks, again.
No impact on lighted morror - I belive the power comes through the stem.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing airbag stickers from the leather visors