996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dealer wants to replace the clutch.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
arr0gant is infamous around these parts
Dealer wants to replace the clutch.

I bought my car in May and the clutch had a squeak that they said they'd fix. They tried everything and couldn't fix it and said it's just the way it is. It got worse so I took it in, they took it apart and said 3 parts need to be replaced so they may as well replace the whole thing since the tranny is already out. (minus fly-wheel since it's in good shape)

The clutch still works very strong and engages right away (no slippage). They said they would only charge me for parts and eat the labor.

They want $1300 for the parts. $1300 sounds like a lot, considering it's only a squeak as far as I can tell.

Three questions:
1. Does this price sound right?
2. Should I use their stock parts or should I get my own parts?
3. Should I just tell them to put it back together and live with the squeak.

2001 with 25k

Last edited by arr0gant; 12-11-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
bryantjew is infamous around these parts
clutch detail?

can you describe the speak a little bit? when does it squeak? i have a similar problem with my car... except it's a continuous ticking noise... it comes and goes at idle but right when i'm about to step down on the clutch (applying gentle pressure), it goes away. So I'm assuming it is clutch related.

Maybe it might just be better to buy a after market clutch and bring it to a tuner/shop that has experience working with Porsche... that is if you plan to modify your car's engine performance. If not, then keep everything factory/stock so you maintain higher resale value.

God bless,

Bryant

Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok, talked to the dealer. He convinced me to go ahead and do it. I will be saving a lot. They are replacing the Linkage, Pressure plate, Disk, Bearing etc... for $1300.

I told him NOT to order the new clutch yet, as I may want an after-market clutch. Should I get an after market clutch? Or stick w/ stock? The car has 0 mods and if I ever do ANY mods, it would be exhaust and Chip only.

Last edited by arr0gant; 12-11-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
do a GT2 clutch, that's what I have

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
bryantjew is infamous around these parts
depends on what you do.

if you're just chipping and exhaust, then you don't really need an aftermarket clutch... i'm just saying that if you're going to spend that kind of money at the dealer (they can be very persuasive in having you let them do your clutch), you might as well buy an aftermarket clutch because it will last you longer/higher performance. Also, after you chip and exhaust, there is a slight chance you may not want to stop there... I am getting my car chipped, exhaust, headers, diverter valves, and intake done at the end of this week... so if i had to choose, i would definately get a aftermarket clutch. and i probably wouldn't bring it to the dealer... they cost an arm and a leg. i would bring it to a shop that has worked on porsches.

God bless,
Bryant

Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Found the stock clutch on Pelican Parts for $934 shipped. I will save almost $400 for the same parts parts ordered by the dealer. They will still do labor free.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok, listen to this, after i called the dealer and told them the parts would be in tomorrow, they called me back and said, we want teh sale, we'll give you the parts for $960. I said, I payed $930, so $930 and I'll cancel my order with Pelican Parts. They said ok, DONE!

So, just cause I called Pelican to cancel- and thanked them, profusely!!

Amazing, the dealer dropped their price on the clutch assembly from $1300 to $930, JUST LIKE THAT, thanks to a little competition.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
So when you bought the car with this problem and they said that they would fix the problem no charge to you and then it gets worse because they were not able to fix it to their own satisfaction and now they want to charge you for a clutch? Is that what I am understanding??? Sounds like they owed you a clutch from the begining...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by porschedude996T
So when you bought the car with this problem and they said that they would fix the problem no charge to you and then it gets worse because they were not able to fix it to their own satisfaction and now they want to charge you for a clutch? Is that what I am understanding??? Sounds like they owed you a clutch from the begining...
No no no, after taking out the tranny, they determined the squeak was the linkage (which they are replacing for free). They then told me the clutch was 3/4 worn, and I should replace it, since they already have the tranny out, they also said they would NOT charge me ANY labor, $1300 for parts and that's it.

I got the price from PP on the clutch for $934, they then matched that price. Hence I get a brand NEW clutch, purchased AND installed from the dealer for $930.00. (who's the stealer now?)

Last edited by arr0gant; 12-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
You'll regret going back to stock. Even with a chip and exhaust, you'll be challenging 500 hp, and the puny stock disk will fry........

I just did the same thing, want to chip the car but tuners told me have clutch money in hand 15 seconds later so I said screw it and bought a 650 hp capable clutch kit. Total cost (parts and labor) $2,600.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:10 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bryantjew
if you're just chipping and exhaust, then you don't really need an aftermarket clutch... i

God bless,
Bryant
No, you do need an aftermarket clutch if your going to chip and do exhaust. I fried my clutch doing a 3rd gear pull the day after I got my flash and exhaust.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I just had a light weight flywheel/clutch put in and completely love it. It seems to spool up quicker and my butt dyno says its faster My tuner says it will handle up to 800HP

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Rasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really niceRasputin is just really nice
the stealer knows best cant miss a chance to upgrade on someon elses labor dime. good luck

Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
Originally Posted by arr0gant
No no no, after taking out the tranny, they determined the squeak was the linkage (which they are replacing for free). They then told me the clutch was 3/4 worn, and I should replace it, since they already have the tranny out, they also said they would NOT charge me ANY labor, $1300 for parts and that's it.

I got the price from PP on the clutch for $934, they then matched that price. Hence I get a brand NEW clutch, purchased AND installed from the dealer for $930.00. (who's the stealer now?)
Ok, got it now, so I guess you're going t update you screen name to "arr0gant Stealer"? Good job, always glad to see one us beat the man at his own game. I kinda agree with the others on the clutch that you are going to install. Why not go bullet-proof on their labor dime...