996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheel Experts, will a 18x11 ET56 fit on a NB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Wheel Experts, will a 18x11 ET56 fit on a NB?

As the title says, I want BBS LM's but the only 11" Porsche wheel has an offset of 56. Will that fit on a NB?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:17 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not 100%, but I think that should be safe. Techart uses a 52 on an 11".

Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
Maybe....probably a little tight. How much camber are you running in the rear? It seems that the GT3 wheels go to near the limit, and you will be 7mm wider than those. I would say there is risk involved.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
The 56mm offsett will pull the wheel further inside than the 52 from techart. If anything, I'd think they are safer?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Scroll down on this thread for a comment from Damon at TR. He says a +55 is ideal. They sell BBS, so I think he'd be a good definitive answer for you.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=114950

Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
An 18x11 with an et55 will definitely rub the fender, not only that but it's the completely wrong offset for a NB.

Stick to a wheel that has an et62 or above.
For ref stock 996 GT3 have an et63 on the rear.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:22 PM
TheSpeedDemon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Exlondoner
An 18x11 with an et55 will definitely rub the fender, not only that but it's the completely wrong offset for a NB.

Stick to a wheel that has an et62 or above.
For ref stock 996 GT3 have an et63 on the rear.
+1 on this

The way around having less off-set and no issues is to use have a narrower tyre and/or more negative camber.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
18x11 will fit with an ET55 on the rear
18x9 will fit with upto an ET 36 on the front.

those are the absolute MOST you want to go on the fronts. Anything more and you probably WILL rub.

for the rear, i'm currently running victor equipment wheels with an ET52 and this is the absolute max you can run in a 19" rim. Another mm or two and you probably will rub.

so to answer your original question, yes the 18x11 ET56 will fit

Old 01-19-2008, 03:45 PM
So I guess the answer to this is...yes the wheel will fit, so that is the answer to the thread title.

However, it is not the wheel that will rub it is the tyre. So what tyre will you use on the 11x18 et56 that will not 'rub' ??? That is the real question.

Example question:

If I use a 11x18 et56 wheel, what is the widest tyre I can use without a rubbing issue?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
285's will be fine....285/35/18

Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
285's will be fine....285/35/18
Yep that is what I thought too, no wider though IMHO.

But then I am not the OP and this is not a concern for me as I have a set of factory GT3 wheels for track use with the correct offset, front and rear, so I will be running wider than 285 in the rear and not have to worry about rubbing issues.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:05 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Yep that is what I thought too, no wider though IMHO.

But then I am not the OP and this is not a concern for me as I have a set of factory GT3 wheels for track use with the correct offset, front and rear, so I will be running wider than 285 in the rear and not have to worry about rubbing issues.
Well that's it though. I want to run MSC 295 in the rear for track days. I found Champion RG5 with 11" and 62 offset but that is more money than the LM's. Well if I want an 11" guess I have to pay

Old 01-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Well that's it though. I want to run MSC 295 in the rear for track days. I found Champion RG5 with 11" and 62 offset but that is more money than the LM's. Well if I want an 11" guess I have to pay
Yeah I would just save your pennies and do it right the first time. I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago going back and forth on wanting wide as possible for my 996 NB. Finally settled on paying more for what I want and found, fortunately as they are hard to find, a factory set of GT3 wheels which again are the correct offsets and light too.

Keep us posted and GL on your final decision because ultimately it is your decision.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM
bk12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Yeah I would just save your pennies and do it right the first time. I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago going back and forth on wanting wide as possible for my 996 NB. Finally settled on paying more for what I want and found, fortunately as they are hard to find, a factory set of GT3 wheels which again are the correct offsets and light too.

Keep us posted and GL on your final decision because ultimately it is your decision.
SD-you picked up a set of OEM GT3 wheels? I have been looking and haven't seen any pop up. Great pickup!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by bk12
SD-you picked up a set of OEM GT3 wheels? I have been looking and haven't seen any pop up. Great pickup!
Yep, just going through the purchase now process. They are used but no damage to them, and they are painted black although they have been used and so they show signs of use on the painting too. Will post pics etc. once I have them and tyres installed. Getting ready to DE my car and I didn't want to mess-up my OZ's.

Keep your eyes and ears open and check with GT3 owners that like to track there cars a lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Experts, will a 18x11 ET56 fit on a NB?