996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified

In my research I decided to try the MKII(2002+ muffler) PSE Style mod done to my 2003 996. As you guys know I was thinking about the Fabspeed and maybe Schnell, but in the end the fear of resonance kept me away from both...

I found a shop "Mufflex Performance Exhaust" in Trenton NJ (609-890-0481)which does a lot of custom stainless steel exhaust work and a lot of work on race car systems. The owner Denny is a porsche guy and was pretty excited to do the mod on the mufflers based upon the pictures I showed him.

I will try to attach a sound clip tomorrow, but what I can tell you is the sound is amazing from outside the car. Inside, you barely hear a difference with the windows closed since my cold air intake is so loud to begin with. With the windows down...The exhaust sounds deep and hollow now, like a real sports car, not too loud, just right... exactly like the factory PSE with the baffels open.

I drove it home on the NewJersey turnpike and the car drives the same, no change in anything else other than a wonderful sound when I open the window and floor it....

Attached are some pics Denny took of the work... If anyone is looking to do this, I wouldn't hesitate calling these guys, it was very reasonable concidering they removed the mufflers, did the work and reinstalled them. Less than $400 bucks for everything... I made an appt and waited also...

Old 04-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
Cool, cant wait to hear the clip. Would this hurt/help performance?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Shouldn't effect performance at all, it's the exact same thing as PSE with the baffels open. PSE itself is just a modified stock muffler which does the same thing but has a baffel which can be opened or closed electronically. If you have a 99 C2, then you have to do it slightly differently you use a smaller diameter pipe between the intake an output of the muffler or you can buy a cheap OEM 3.6L muffer from a 2002 or newer and have this mod done.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
can i do this to my 2004 4S? so bascially it only opens up when it's under full acceleration right? does that acutally bypass the muffler?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Pretty sure you can isn't the only thing different about the C4S exhaust is the tips which are extended to move closer to the center of the rear bumper.

BTW it doesn't bypass the muffler, just one chamber in the exhaust which is why it's nice and throaty on idle, but when you open it up she screams....

Just noticed your in the NY area, if you want to hear what it sounds like let me know...

Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 PM
tshack is infamous around these parts
Why would you need a smaller diameter pipe for a 99C2? I have a 01 C2...would I need to do the same thing?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM
With the mufflers on the pre 02 cars you can't tap the muffler chamber, it has too much wadding in it you won't get much sound. With the 02+ they opened it up more at the factory. For pre-02 mufflers, you tie the muffler intake and exhaust together with a small pipe to control the noise level. They have example pictures on rennlist. It's called a MKI muffler mod

Old 04-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Here's a picture from Rennlist on how you have to modify a pre-02 muffler to get PSE sound, though in this case it's identical to the PSE because porsche didn't have an "off" switch (which most people disable anyway on the newer PSE) Notice the small tube and the bend to lower the noise level since it's "Raw" sound coming off the cats...

Old 04-14-2007, 11:01 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
is it more loud when ur just crusing on the highway?

Old 04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Deeper rumble at idle/crusing but not much louder... When you accelerate/decelerate then it's louder and much muscular sounding...

Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoreyNJ
With the mufflers on the pre 02 cars you can't tap the muffler chamber, it has too much wadding in it you won't get much sound. With the 02+ they opened it up more at the factory. For pre-02 mufflers, you tie the muffler intake and exhaust together with a small pipe to control the noise level. They have example pictures on rennlist. It's called a MKI muffler mod
thank you for this post, it really cleared up the difference between mkI and mkII for me. the mkI mod is still a little silly though, it is essentially a smaller diameter muffler bypass pipe, yet the mufflers stay put, adding extra weight to the car when they aren't used anymore. i do understand somewhat though that because a smaller diameter pipe is used the sound is not as loud.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I tried this before getting my cargraphic cans. It sounded okay I guess. However, after parking next to a car with PSE and revving the motors, it didn't sound half as good as the PSE car. I promptly got rid of them and put some aftermarket mufflers on there. You would think it sounded the same, but it doesn't.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
the pse is a totaly different set of cans... it may look like the pse but sound wise PSE is king

Old 04-14-2007, 11:06 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
actually cargraphic export is king. pse is a close second though

Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
I thought Tubi was king....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified