996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Opinions on Upsolute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:56 AM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
Opinions on Upsolute

I am a closet member of this chat group and now read it nearly every nite.
I have a stock 2003 996TT with 5000 miles and need to do upgrade. I'm cheap but I'm not dumb.
The Upsolute from a local dealer is $ 600.00 installed. He has a $ 150.00 remote switch option which will permit me to switch back and forth to stock programming. He can do the complete job in 2 -4 hours while I wait (and watch!), which I like.
Why is this chip so much less than the others? He does not dyno the car but claims the same 100 HP or so gain as the other chips. Is there a difference in quality or function?
Is the switching option wise to use when I service the car or will they know the car is chipped anyway?
Any personal experience/opinions on the Upsolute chip?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:12 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I had the Upsolute on my X50 and was not too happy with it. In life, you get what you pay for and this is what I learned the hard way! My problem with the Upsolute was that although there was definitely a noticeavle increase in power and max. boost, there was also an increase in turbo lag. I got my chip re-flashed to stock on Wednesday and am happier with the less turbo lag now present.
After researching, I believe that the GIAC (I am getting my level 4 next week - fingers crossed) is the best ECU upgrade available. It is a more comprehensive and more in-depth program than the Upsolute. I agree that it is WAY OVERPRICED (level 4 is upwards of $5K!!) but what can you do...

Old 08-29-2003, 12:16 PM
I was concerned about the GIAC because I understand that the dealer cannot overwrite it. What happens if the dealer has an upgrade for the chip? - It happened to me on my M5 when they needed to make changes to the programming.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:24 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
GIAC has a chipswitch and so you can kep your stock on one chip without an encryptor so reflashing should not be a problem...
I was actually not aware of Upsolute having a switcher...news to me.
Also, I have owned 4 996s since 1999 and not once did they issue an ECU upgrade from Porsche so that should not be a main concern.
If you are interested in the GIAC there was a special group buy discount but it will expire in a few days...PM or e-mail me if you want IN or need the details.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:09 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Yeps Stephen is top notch. In fact, so much so that we all voted for him to do teh exhaust test thingy. Very helpful and just a rabid enthusiast with the same car as us when it comes down to it

Old 08-29-2003, 03:17 PM
996twin is infamous around these parts
I agree.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Never heard of the Upsolute switch either. But I heard they have a 30 day return policy. I guess you could try it out and if it doens't work out, return it.

I never tried the upsolute, so i don't know how it performs. If not, check out powerchipsgroup.com They are chip tuners from Australia who has a shop in Santa Monica, CA. i heard they do great custom tuning.

Old 08-29-2003, 05:41 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by msindi
I had the Upsolute on my X50 and was not too happy with it. In life, you get what you pay for and this is what I learned the hard way!
I have to disagree with Msindi on this one. I have the Upsolute and am very pleased with the results. I have the standard 996TT software and the car will hold 1.0 bar no problem. The power comes on right away without any lag whatsoever and the car just takes off. The only issue that I have ever heard has been the PSM/ABS light going off. The MAF sensor was overwhelmed with too much air...thus setting off the light. This was fixed a while ago.

New updates cost you nothing, they can custom tune your ecu for 150.00 (need dyno chart with A/F) and they can return your car back to stock anytime. For the price it truly is the best bang for the buck. Im not affiliated...just a pleased customer

Time will only tell as with other products from other tuners out there.

I sent you a pm if you're interested in comparing cars, etc.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:39 AM
BCS996TT
[QUOTE]
New updates cost you nothing, they can custom tune your ecu for 150.00 (need dyno chart with A/F) and they can return your car back to stock anytime.

Does this mean that if I get my car dynoed first, Upsolute will set the program specifically for my car when I first get the chip? That sounds like a wise choice.

Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dmilzoff
BCS996TT
Does this mean that if I get my car dynoed first, Upsolute will set the program specifically for my car when I first get the chip? That sounds like a wise choice.
David,

I dont see why not.

If you have any additional mods, they do suggest that you get a dyno with A/F values so that they can custom tune your ecu.

Also, just to confirm, there is not a remote key fob to switch between stock and the upsolute program for our cars.

Old 08-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
GIAC is the way to go and Stephen is your man. He's selling a TT ECU upgrade on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2430144640