996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Fire Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Ray M is infamous around these parts
Turbo Fire Update

Hi Guys, ColorChange and FineProperty enquired as to the status of my Turbo, so I thought I'd give an update. I'm so sick about this it’s painful to even think about.

For those of you who haven't heard my 'story', check out this link.

For the last 2 plus months my Turbo has been sitting in the back lot of a New Haven, CT area Porsche dealership in neglect. The car cover they eventually used allowed snow and rain to enter from the broken rear window and open driver's door window. The car is undoubtedly destroyed.

Porsche has had my 'problem' in their subrogation department from the get go. This is the only route it seems they are considering. (As the service manager said, 'this is what you have insurance for." )

So, at this point it looks like the car is going to be totaled. My insurance company will then go after Porsche, but this does nothing for me and I’d be forced to take a $50,000 hit on an immaculate car I had no intention of selling.

My guess is that they are doing this so as to not have to publicly admit responsibility, and will then settle the claim with my ins co on a no-fault basis.

This has been a truly horrible situation to go through. I hope if anyone else here ever needs Porsche to step up to the plate, they are more successful than me. Nothing, including even a hand delivered letter to Wiedeking (and copied to Schwarzenbauer), elicited a response. For those of you with mods, you should note that the first thing the district rep mentioned to me was my g*d damn K40 radar detector! It had nothing to do with the fire, but that is how he escaped giving me a rental car or anything at our first visit! Horrible….

At this point I can’t picture myself buying another new Porsche for a long time, and I never thought I’d hear myself say that after two 996TTs and a 996 C4 Cab. The only one I would consider is a 993TT, which I would only let my fav local Porsche shop touch (no dealer!).

Right now I am leaning towards picking up low mile ’02 or ’03 E39 M5 w/mods to drive for the next year. Then, hello M6….

Old 01-13-2005, 02:52 PM
O-Ace is infamous around these parts
That's horrible! Sorry to hear this.

-Awais

Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
I really would hire a good attorney. The most you could loose is another $5k or so, but you could really stick them for everything they deserve. At least check it out. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:18 PM
vrus is infamous around these parts
I am sorry to hear about your troubles...

But, I would agree.. You would be crazy to take the $50,000 hit without talking to an attorney first.

Don't sign any papers admitting the case is closed until you consult with your attorney.

Schedule the fire inspector and your attorney to both arrive at the dealership together and make sure he has the opportunity to do a thorough check of the car. Technically, you own the car so they cannot deprive you access to it.

I would bet that you will get 100% compensation (if not more) once an attorney is involved.

Don't let them get away so easy...

Old 01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
That just blows me away that they have a recall for this, admitting to fire potential, and then screw you like this. I put this in the same catagory as the 997 thread on Rennlist with 40,000+ viewings of how poorly a customer is treated by Porsche. I have 50 more years (I hope) of car buying ahead of me, that's at least 50 more cars to be bought, I don't think dealerships recognize the damage they do when treating even a single customer like this.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
That is total BS!!! I would get a lawyer asap.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
OMG that is bull****. I am sorry to hear that. Ashame that Porsche gives such bull****. I am going to tell everyone I know about this!

Old 01-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
OMG! Who is your insurance carrier? I would think the way this should go down is that the insurance company should replace your car with a similar car - a TT with mileage similar to yours. Then the insurance company would sue the crap out of Porsche. Anything less than that I would lanch the junk yard lawyer. I wouldn't care a rat's *** what it cost.

I say start a fund and take donations from folks here - sue the world

Old 01-13-2005, 05:21 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
The attitude is common with Porsche these days. It's pathetic. They will find a way to try to weasel out of warranty issues. Find a good attorney and make them PAY what you deserve, and a bit more for fu--ing you around!! I would also be sick over this. FWIW I hope it works out in your favor.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
This is total horse crap
This is also why I pay extra to use chubb and there agreed-value insurance so I am covered for an agreed upon by me amount not wholesale value

My 02 TT is currently insured for $110k which will get me out no worries

Old 01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I contacted my lawyer when mercedes refused to honor a an extended warrenty policy... that was only $2700 issue... it was solved.
Dont go thru ur insurance.... go after Porsche... especially if its about $136k.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Yes indeed, Chubb is more money but the only way to go, car or house.

Thanks,
Ted.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:04 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
Doesn't make me feel too optimistic about my clearcoat failure that is under "consideration" by Porsche right now. I can't see myself staying with the marque after I'm out of my current motor with bull**** stories like this.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Sorry to hear this I read your entire thread since this has started. Go after Porsche and make sure you get paid or worst case a new car, this is not the first fire inthe 996TT due to power steering fluid leaks.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Chubb is great - had them for years on home and cars.

Ray, very sorry to hear this. Porsche is a real stick-in-their-heels-and-don't-budge kind of company. Get the finest legal counsel you can afford, or someone in the field whom you know, and get the letters going. You should be able to walk away from this mess happier than you are right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Fire Update