997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

1st mod ordered today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
1st mod ordered today

Went to the dealership today and heard the sports exhaust for the first time on a 997. Sounds reasonably agressive but I think I like the sound of the Fabspeed better. The main advantage that I see is of the PSE system is that it comes with a switch for changing modes between quiet and loud. The added plus is that the dealership's tech will install a separate toggle switch to make it loud all the time or quiet all the time overriding the exhausts automatic cutout points. My wife already thinks the car is too loud so I can keep it completely quiet for drives with the wife and switch to loud for me and my boys. I have an appointment for monday to get it installed. I am going to tape a digital recorder to the back bumper and get some before and after sound files.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:59 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
I guarantee you my wife will never select the "sport" button to make it louder and tighten the suspension. That is a MAN button that will please few women.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
And Robert, I thought it was gonna be a Reus sound upgrade.
So how do you like it compared to the 996?

Old 11-03-2005, 12:30 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
I love the MAN button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find myself driving with it on all the time. Does anyone else do this?

Old 11-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, time for a PSI Exhaust....you heard it!!!

hahaha

Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by gdctus997
I guarantee you my wife will never select the "sport" button to make it louder and tighten the suspension. That is a MAN button that will please few women.
You are absolutely right! My wife can't drive a manual tranny car so it doesn't matter anyways but still... it's nice to take the cab for drives out of town. If I make it any louder or stiffer, we'll never take it anywhere out of town.

It's a performance compromise and it costs an arm and a leg compared to a comparable AWE or Fabspeed exhaust but at least I get the sound!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by neil.schneider
And Robert, I thought it was gonna be a Reus sound upgrade.
So how do you like it compared to the 996?
Nick,

Soundwise.. obviously, there is no comparison to the Reus system but the high end Bose option is pretty decent. I took it down to Rick @ Reus and it was the first time that he had listened to the Bose system in a cab. The interesting thing that he noted is that the Bose high end system sounds better in a cab with the top down than it does in a coupe. Once the top goes up though, the bass cancels and it sounds like the coupe. He is working on a 997 system now. His opinion is that the system could definitely use an upgrade vs a completely new system like the 996. The main thing that I notice about the system is that the door speakers are huge compared to the 996. The 996 uses a small driver in the door with a tuned box behind it to make big sound. The 997 uses a huge midbass driver and has multiple speakers on the door. I miss the Reus system but I don't have any complaints yet. Then again, that's what I said about the exhaust until I heard the PSE in person. Once Rick gets the 997 system ready I'll probably get it.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Nick,

I might have misinterpreted your post.... if you were asking about the car itself, I love the 997. It is a HUGE improvement over the 996. Everything is tighter, there are no creaks or squeaks. Going over railroad tracks, it is rock solid. The car launches like a MF and is very easy to launch. That was one of my main complaints about the 996. It was hard to get a hard launch from a standstill. It's caught me off guard a couple of times. I took off from a stoplight today with the top down and my neck just snapped back. I was thinking.... wow, that must have looked stupid. The PASM is an awesome feature also. It really stiffens things up so you get the best of both worlds. Nice and comfortable everyday drive but the option of making the car track stiff at any time. You simply can't do that with any aftermarket suspension system. I only wish the ride height was adjustable as well. The brakes I'm sure are better being big reds but I never felt the 996 brakes were inadequate. The interior is much much nicer and the nav system and PCM system in general is great. Overall, every little detail about the car is much improved. I've only put 1000 miles on it so I'm still breaking it in but I've had my moments. The performance difference is incredible. It leaps off the line and really pulls hard in 2nd and 3rd.

As far as negatives, the only thing I can think of at the moment is that I hear a lot of little rocks pinging against the wider rear end. They have that 3M stoneguard type stuff covering the rear fenders but still it makes me cringe just to hear all of those little rocks pinging against the side of the car. You coupe guys probably don't notice it but in a cab..... you can hear everything!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
6 speed shortshifter for me, and I play with all the buttons, come on guys.............................LOL