996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PCCB worth ordering or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Cab Lover
Oweyea is infamous around these parts
PCCB worth ordering or not?

Hey guys,

My turbo production got pushed back and I have the opportunity to make a change. Should I opt for the Ceramic Brakes or not? I've "heard" that they're incredible, wet or dry they stop on a dime. 3X more stopping power that the engine power. ect...

Bad side, I've heard that they make a lot of noise and that the rotors have been known to break.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues. First hand experience would be the best!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rob

Old 03-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Those brakes affect handling and acceleration because they're
lighter, but that will mostly have *zero* effect on typical braking.
"wet or dry' talk is silly. Every porsche in the last 40 years has
had brakes strong enought o lock up the tires at any speed, so
more brakes means nothing. The limiting factor is tire traction.

That being said, *I* would have ordered them for the lightness,
if they were available when I bought my car.
Joe

Old 03-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
It depends on how you want to use them. If you have plans on running at the track you might do best to pass on them. Replacement cost is stupid expensive and there is some debate about their durability. Take a look at this thread and decide for yourself.

The braking ability of the PCCB is the same as the cast iron rotors, their main advantage is in weight savings.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:23 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Sloth
It depends on how you want to use them. If you have plans on running at the track you might do best to pass on them. Replacement cost is stupid expensive and there is some debate about their durability. Take a look at this thread and decide for yourself.

The braking ability of the PCCB is the same as the cast iron rotors, their main advantage is in weight savings.
I agree with Sloth, it all depends on your intentions in the use of your car, first hand experience of the ceramics that are on the GT2 have been good so far, only street useage, 1,600 miles to date, not noisy, as for the GT3 that will probably see the track at some point, it will be arriving with steel rotors.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Cab Lover
Thanks for the information guys!

As usual, this site is a wealth of information!

Rob

Old 03-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
It takes some serious track usage to ruin them. Light track usage is OK.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
PCCB is not worth it. Too $ and too fragile in terms of the rotors. They can crack with an inadvertent bump with tools. The stopping distance is not improved and the weight savings can be made up in other ways. Never use really expensive wear items, run slicks on dry track, get good pads, get air to the brakes, keep rotor holes open, upgrade the front rotors to larger aluminum hub floaters, and keep good track of your actual track hours. Then report back to the board. Now get your rest and your vitamins.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
Rob,
when do you get your turbo? I am expecting to hear that it is red. . . am I correct. Will be disappointed if its not. Cant wait to see it. Keep me posted bro. Are you going to install a camera mount in the new turbo. Definately must install a Techart exhaust.
Ron

Old 03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Rob,
same here, but i finally decided to order it. figured that i might not track the car, so PCCB would be nice for me to have it... + it looks awesome! my thinking was a full set of Brembo would cost close to PCCB why just give it a try

Old 03-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Cab Lover
Ron,

The TT-Cab is going to be "speed" yellow. I had a Meridian C4S Coupe and now the Guards Red C2 Cab, so I wanted to try something new.

I really wanted the PCCB but fate stepped in and put a stop to my dream today. Dealer said that the production number has been assigned to my car and that no changes are possible. So no PCCB for me.

Oh well, things happen for a reason. I'm sure the turbo OEM brakes will be just fine. Probably won't see to much track time given that the TT is a cab. I can't wait!!

Went all out on this one! The PCCB is the only option I didn't get!

You'll have to wait for the pics!

Rob

Old 03-24-2004, 12:22 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I also got every option when ordering mine and had the PCCB decision...I think I made the right one and saved myself 8K and the pain of cracked rotors...If I could redo it Id pass on the X50 too....Brembos are da shizzle You can get them in yellow too (hint hint)

Old 03-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
Rob,
I only have to say one thing. . . "owe yea"

Old 03-24-2004, 08:11 AM
acw
acw is infamous around these parts
I would stay away from PCCB. Yes they are light but on top of the reliability issues, they don't grab very well when cold, when driving in the rain and when they start to get really hot.

AW

Old 03-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by acw
I would stay away from PCCB. Yes they are light but on top of the reliability issues, they don't grab very well when cold, when driving in the rain and when they start to get really hot.

AW
Some say that... mine grab like stink regardless of their temp and weather conditions. Once the pads get heat damaged they are worthless.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:33 AM
acw
acw is infamous around these parts
Interesting... I'll try to change pads.

AW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCB worth ordering or not?