997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Excellence "The Perfect Turbo"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Excellence "The Perfect Turbo"

Anyone read this months "Excellence magazine" regarding Champions Motorsports "Werks K1"? I met Edrick Cosme, the design engineer for Champion Motorsport serveral months ago at Sonnen Porsche in Marin and he was working on this particular car and telling me how many exhausts systems/suspension systems/engine modifications/ body modifications/ etc. that this particular test car has gone through. I wish I could post a link to this article but maybe someone else can help me out here? Its a good read and I share some of Edricks comments especially regarding the suspension of this car. After 3 alignments my car feels better but still not up to what I expected (we have discussed this many times in the past already here on 6speed). For the record my car is still stock (for now anyway).

The complete package is pricey to say the least but parts of this package might be of interest to some of you. The custom paint job alone costs $20 -$25K. Actually the color looks much better in person. They were unpacking the wheels/rims already mounted in boxes when I arrived, swapping them out with the stock ones. Most of the rest of the car was already completed. Replicating the K1 to the tee will total $220k. I know thats way past GT2 territory but this car has some impressive numbers while retaining the AWD features of a Turbo. The interior is tastefully done and is one of the best I have seen. Hopefully someone can post the article for all to read. Its starts on page 52.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Ok I didn't have the time to scan the article this morning but here it is. There is a 2 page photo layout of this car that I did not scan (I am no way affiliated with Excellence magazine but i subscribe to it because I think its one of the best out there). I happen to agree with some of these observations and comments but not all of them.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
One more quick observation. The cars color as it appears in my scans are nothing like it in person. The color is not cream but a light battleship grey.

Last edited by gradyex; 03-12-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Thanks for the scans. Pete at Excellent is pretty sweet on this stage II + springs car, which lends some credence to what many of us have known already!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
eurospek is infamous around these parts
God I love this car. Color is amazing!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
marksk1 is infamous around these parts
The pictures really do not do this color justice.. It is a nice color, however, I dont know if it would be m y first choice for this car.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 AM
HobbsE46 is infamous around these parts
such an amazing car! THanks for the post

Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Got that in the mail a few days ago... The Tubi is a very, very nice exhaust on these cars for a number of reasons (weight, sound, fit etc..). Nice article indeed!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I think mainly I would just be interested in the suspension/engine/exhaust mods and leave out the rest (because for me it doesn't justify the costs). I don't have the ceramics so spending that much for the wheels and tires (which I really like) seems a bit much for $12,500. It will save weight but the steelies are heavy and the whole package W/ceramics makes more sense (if its already an option on your car). The cup tires here on West Coast roads might not be the way to go (as opposed to PS2's) unless your mainly a track guy or don't mind replacing tires often. Edrick told me that the coilovers might be the way to go for me because I can't drop my car too low and they are adjustable. He personally prefers the springs but knows where I live and the situations I deal with day to day (like entering my driveway).

Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
$220K Thats a bit much. Nice car either way....

Old 03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
90PSI is infamous around these parts
The car looks sick, but why 20K for a paint job? Am I missing something? Even though 10K is alot, it could still be justified as reasonable; but 20 is waaaay over the top. I say engine mods, suspension, aero kit, and exhaust......then throw on some Dymags and find a grey that's close but less $$$ and you got an attractive package to make yourself a hardcore, unique TT!

p.s......I LOVE the Werks carbon add on lip and spoilers

Last edited by 90PSI; 03-13-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM
kalanis is infamous around these parts
I know this thread is six years old, but the Werks K1 is listed for sale right now by Fisher Imports in Laguna Beach, CA for $99K. 11,000 miles on it still sounds like a good deal today.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kalanis
I know this thread is six years old, but the Werks K1 is listed for sale right now by Fisher Imports in Laguna Beach, CA for $99K. 11,000 miles on it still sounds like a good deal today.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Coast to coast in it's life - I've seen it listed for sale before - wonder how many owners there have been?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
kalanis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Coast to coast in it's life - I've seen it listed for sale before - wonder how many owners there have been?
Four previous owners. Here is the Carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_0

I just find that car mouth watering...

Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
And I'm sure that car was babied all those 11k miles .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Excellence "The Perfect Turbo"