997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Which 997 TT is faster Manual or Tips ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Which 997 TT is faster Manual or Tips ???

From a dig and rolling start 6 speed or Tip ???

Many magazines and Porsche states that Tip 997 TT is faster, is that true and why ???

Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT RUS
From a dig and rolling start 6 speed or Tip ???

Many magazines and Porsche states that Tip 997 TT is faster, is that true and why ???
Probably because it changes gears faster than someone can with a manual. But I am no expert - not taken delivery of mine yet. Top end though - they are probably about the same.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
I dont know...that is why I am aksing I just know that Porsche claim Tips be faster then 6 sp manual 0-62 by 0.2 sec...3.7 vs 3.9 and same 0-120 I think and even mid range pull if faster but I dont know why

Can anyone explain please...I wanna buy the one which is faster

Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
In a perfect world, from a dead stop the tip is faster. You can break launch it and build boost thus getting a better hole shot. The Tip also does not lose boost between shifts. On the move this advantage is reduced. It has nothing to do with shift speed.

In the 'real world' launching the tip is no easy task with owners reporting on here that they cant get it to do what Porsche says. So on the street I would venture a guess its a drivers race. Dont buy based on magazine data is my advice, you might find the marketing gets the better of ya.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
This is a oft discussed topic. A search will reveal a ton of opinions.

Here is a nice Car and Driver article that covers it pretty well:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Here is the key excerpt:

Going in, it was an uphill battle for the automatic. Our test car weighed 3584 pounds, a 70-pound penalty compared with the manual. Furthermore, the automatic launches without much wheelspin, unlike the manual, and it therefore doesn't get off the line as swiftly. We hit 30 mph in 1.3 seconds, which is 0.2-second off the manual's pace. But that early deficit is overcome by the Tiptronic's smooth and quick wide-open-throttle upshifts which keep the turbos spooled up, unlike what happens when you lift to shift in the manual. By 60 mph, that lost time is made up and the Tiptronic matches the manual car's 3.4-second blast. From there, it continues to gain ground and edges out the manual in the quarter-mile by a scant 0.1 second—11.6 seconds at 122 mph versus 11.7 at 121—and it stays ahead the rest of the way, hitting 160 mph in 22.1 seconds versus 23.8. In case you're wondering, that quarter-mile time is better than the quickest 505-hp Corvette Z06 we've tested.

Does this mean we'd choose an automatic over a manual in the Turbo? Unless you're planning to spend lots of time at a drag strip, where the all-wheel-drive system might not survive frequent four-wheel burnouts, the answer is no. While at the track the five-speed Tiptronic shifts smoothly and quickly, around town it can become bothersome. First off, Porsche automatics prefer to start in second gear, which seems strange coming from such a performance-oriented company. That means if you dig deep enough into the throttle from a standstill, you get a clunky 2-1 downshift. And the upshifts are often less than crisp, more of a slurring between gears. Also, we'd prefer proper shift paddles—left for downshifts, right for upshifts—mounted behind the steering wheel, instead of the Turbo's toggle switches on the front of the wheel that control shifts in both directions. And, not surprisingly, the response time is noticeably slower than automated manuals like Audi's rapid-shifting dual-clutch DSG. Not helping the Tiptronic's case is the $3420 option price, but maybe at the Turbo's starting price of $123,695, a few grand isn't important.

I added the emphasis on the last sentence of paragraph #1 just to dig the Z06 owners out there - hee hee.

I own a manual. I had not driven a manual since my job as a plumbing parts delivery guy when I was 16. I will say that to me it was a tough car to relearn how to drive a manual. I got frustrated several times. I stalled it a lot and got very nervous about buring up the clutch. But now that I have a pretty good handle on it, I can't imagine driving the car any other way. I suggest the manual.

Your best bet is to test drive them both and see for yourself. But I think that driving a automatic 911 is like swimming without getting wet.

Good luck.

Last edited by Barrister; 04-16-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
ive got a tip, but would recomend a manual if ur town isnt congested or its not ur daily car.... u get bored at times with the tip n feel like u wanna drive it like a proper sports car .... but if u dont wanna compromise on the comfort, then the tip is not a bad choice either.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
V-man is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Barrister
This is a oft discussed topic. A search will reveal a ton of opinions.

Here is a nice Car and Driver article that covers it pretty well:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Here is the key excerpt:

Going in, it was an uphill battle for the automatic. Our test car weighed 3584 pounds, a 70-pound penalty compared with the manual. Furthermore, the automatic launches without much wheelspin, unlike the manual, and it therefore doesn't get off the line as swiftly. We hit 30 mph in 1.3 seconds, which is 0.2-second off the manual's pace. But that early deficit is overcome by the Tiptronic's smooth and quick wide-open-throttle upshifts which keep the turbos spooled up, unlike what happens when you lift to shift in the manual. By 60 mph, that lost time is made up and the Tiptronic matches the manual car's 3.4-second blast. From there, it continues to gain ground and edges out the manual in the quarter-mile by a scant 0.1 second—11.6 seconds at 122 mph versus 11.7 at 121—and it stays ahead the rest of the way, hitting 160 mph in 22.1 seconds versus 23.8. In case you're wondering, that quarter-mile time is better than the quickest 505-hp Corvette Z06 we've tested.

Does this mean we'd choose an automatic over a manual in the Turbo? Unless you're planning to spend lots of time at a drag strip, where the all-wheel-drive system might not survive frequent four-wheel burnouts, the answer is no. While at the track the five-speed Tiptronic shifts smoothly and quickly, around town it can become bothersome. First off, Porsche automatics prefer to start in second gear, which seems strange coming from such a performance-oriented company. That means if you dig deep enough into the throttle from a standstill, you get a clunky 2-1 downshift. And the upshifts are often less than crisp, more of a slurring between gears. Also, we'd prefer proper shift paddles—left for downshifts, right for upshifts—mounted behind the steering wheel, instead of the Turbo's toggle switches on the front of the wheel that control shifts in both directions. And, not surprisingly, the response time is noticeably slower than automated manuals like Audi's rapid-shifting dual-clutch DSG. Not helping the Tiptronic's case is the $3420 option price, but maybe at the Turbo's starting price of $123,695, a few grand isn't important.

I added the emphasis on the last sentence of paragraph #1 just to dig the Z06 owners out there - hee hee.

I own a manual. I had not driven a manual since my job as a plumbing parts delivery guy when I was 16. I will say that to me it was a tough car to relearn how to drive a manual. I got frustrated several times. I stalled it a lot and got very nervous about buring up the clutch. But now that I have a pretty good handle on it, I can't imagine driving the car any other way. I suggest the manual.

Your best bet is to test drive them both and see for yourself. But I think that driving a automatic 911 is like swimming without getting wet.

Good luck.
i pick up my turbo in a couple of days. I to went manual what rpms do you take the car to before you come off the line. Also my car had 35 miles on the speedometer it was still factory wraped is that unusual?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
The mileage varies on some vehicles when you receive them. They "test" drive them before shipment. Mine was a little strange because it had 9 miles on the trip odometer and 7 miles on the regular odometer.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 AM
mister_jkd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gmoney
In a perfect world, from a dead stop the tip is faster. You can break launch it and build boost thus getting a better hole shot. The Tip also does not lose boost between shifts. On the move this advantage is reduced. It has nothing to do with shift speed.
+1 It more about boost pressure and maintaining it.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by V-man
i pick up my turbo in a couple of days. I to went manual what rpms do you take the car to before you come off the line. Also my car had 35 miles on the speedometer it was still factory wraped is that unusual?
4,000 RPM.....Should give you a good launch. Just be careful on the 1st-2nd gear shift. All that power will take a toll on the 2nd gear if you dump into gear. Talked to my Service Rep and had 2 cars come in with chipped, destroyed 2nd gears. Porsche won't cover it because they consider it "Abuse"

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
warranty

How can a warranty not cover a damaged 2nd gear mechanism??? Seems to me this would be impossible to blame on "abuse" and could just of easily happened on simple "agressive driving". Under the "abuse" philosophy, anything could be denied with manufacturer claiming it was driven too hard.....i.e. broken tie rod.. (He cornered too aggressively)....malfunctioning caliper (He braked too aggressively)....broken power seat (You must of cornered too hard while adjusting your seat and your lard *** put too much pressure on the motor)....

I mean come on now.....

Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 AM
V-man is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
4,000 RPM.....Should give you a good launch. Just be careful on the 1st-2nd gear shift. All that power will take a toll on the 2nd gear if you dump into gear. Talked to my Service Rep and had 2 cars come in with chipped, destroyed 2nd gears. Porsche won't cover it because they consider it "Abuse"
Can not help but ask on a 6 speed do we know how get off the line ( not drag racing) but with a nice smile on your face and not break 2 nd gear. I look forward to me delivery early next week just dont want to have baby the beast

Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 AM
pazman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dubai_TT
ive got a tip, but would recomend a manual if ur town isnt congested or its not ur daily car.... u get bored at times with the tip n feel like u wanna drive it like a proper sports car .... but if u dont wanna compromise on the comfort, then the tip is not a bad choice either.
Isn't that what its all about? A PROPER SPORTS CAR?
Going from a smg M3, I felt the need to get back into a manual, I think its more fun to drive, you can boost in all gears if thats what you want and are not limited to the TIPS nuances?
Wait for next generation TIP the DSG porsche equivalent?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Hmmm...Thanks for all comments guys...but if tip is faster and better for daily driver and less headache maintaining, then may be a Tip is a better choice

3 of my friends have 997 with Tips and they very happy...I would be very frustrated if they beat ME...

Anyone actually drove, tested and raced manual vs tip 997 TT ???

Old 04-18-2008, 09:46 AM
PorscheGuy949 is infamous around these parts
TIP, ive driven dozens. I like the manual better, but tips the way to go for pure speed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which 997 TT is faster Manual or Tips ???