997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rotor Replacement (Track + Street Use)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Rotor Replacement (Track + Street Use)

After 26,000 miles (3500-4000 track miles) it looks like I may need to be replacing my rotors soon.

I didnt find any specific threads about rotors for the 997TT so Im just wondering what my options are.

Since I track the car alot I definitely wont be going OEM, I wanted something slotted. I know that brembo makes the floating two-piece for just under $2k, but should I go this route?

Are there good one-piece slotted alternatives?

Or should I just bite the bullet on the brembo rotors? Also does anyone know how much just the rotor is to replace if you already have the hats?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
You can't go wrong with Brembo, worth every penny.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
My tech works for the Farnbacherloles race team at times. He has recommended to me to buy the AP slotted rotors. He tells me they have better metallurgic properties and will last an entire season. Wonder if any Brembo users can comment on their experience with longevity.

Last edited by landjet; 01-17-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by landjet
My tech works for the Farnbacher Lollas race team at times. He has recommended to me to buy the AP slotted rotors. He tells me they have better metallurgic properties and will last an entire season. Wonder if any Brembo users can comment on their experience with longevity.
I've seen plenty of testing and had customers who have used both.
Brembo and AP, hands down, last longer than any of the other options out there.
These are definitely 2 of the best quality rotors you will find, and a huge part of that is indeed based on metallurgy.

One of the major benefits for the Brembo discs is the fact that they are considered street-able, without sacrificing performance. This is due to the patented McLaren float hardware, allowing for both radial and axial expansion without stress on the hats or wheel bearings. This also guarantees that the hat portion of the disc will not be considered a consumable item.

Brembo also has a full race version that uses a different style hardware, that makes these "track use only".
These tend to be a bit on the noisy side for a street car (same goes for all the AP aseemblies I have seen), and the replacement costs of hardware practically triples. There is a specific lifespan for the hardware (rated by "hours of use") as well as the hat/bell portion of the disc. I'm fairly sure these are not going to be the ones you're interested in, and the pricepoint of the first version is much more attractive.

Here's a link to the list of benefits I posted in another thread...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/2199832-post24.html

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
So if I get this right we basically have the following: (This is mostly from the perspective of track with some street)

OEM
Price: $1000 a set
Benefit: cheapest out there
Cons: crap because they are drilled, no benefit and fall apart in under a year.

AP Slotted
Price: I'm assuming 1200-1500?
Benefit: Proven quality product, but not a 2pc.

RSS 2pc floating
Price: $2400 a set ? (Is this front and rear together)
Benefit: All of the 2pc benefits
Con: too new to have any real world reviews on performance, longevity etc.

Brembo 2pc floating
Price: est $3600 a set
Benefit: Its brembo, its 2pc, 'nuff said
Con: costs about an arm and a leg, and I'm assuming the replacement rotors without the hats will cost roughly the same as AP slotted.

This sound about right?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Verify the RSS info, I believe they might have been making them for a while for third parties so might have tons of reviews we dont know about under a different brand? I could be wrong but worth looking into.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:12 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The AP's are 2-piece rotors that cost $1800 for the fronts initially, and $550 per disc replacement.

I have seen a company called DeMann selling one piece slotted rotors for $600 for the fronts, but I have no idea of their durability.

Last edited by landjet; 01-17-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The RSS ones are 2400 set of 4. they have been used by many ALMS series teams for several years.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
For the 2-piece Brembos, what is the replacement cost for just the discs, since the hats are reusable?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The RSS ones are 2400 set of 4. they have been used by many ALMS series teams for several years.
That looks very promising, any way to verify this?

Sorry I just dont know much about them aside from the plenum that they released.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Sure, check with sharkster, I believe he sells them and should be able to give you the info, or contact one of the shops building ALMS cars, F-L for example. I believe RSS is just the distributer for GyroDisc, not the manufacturer. In my research, they are a promising peice.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 01-17-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I have to really question if this is a worth while upgrade? I mean the big reds are more than good enough for DD and track use. Do you really need floating rotors on a 3500# street car??

Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Doug its not about necessity, it never has been!!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 AM
It is about necessity if you are tracking the car. The drilled rotors will not last more than about 3 weekends. Therefore the slotted rotors. My tech told me the AP rotors will last all season. Anyone who used the Brembos, can you give some info on their durability?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotor Replacement (Track + Street Use)