Sad News about OUR ben lj, Ben Keatons.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:57 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
just thinking about this some more...can you imagine what the Ferrari driver who pulled in front of him must be going through today? I would assume everyone who was at that event is having a very rough time.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Sorcerer is infamous around these parts
Our Worst Fears...

I very rarely post on this board, but look at it everyday. For those of you who don't know me I am a 23 year old Porsche mechanic and my father and I collect Porsches of all vintage. I grew up at the Bridgehampton race track with Porsche club racing and went on to do many apprenticships in the Porsche business and most recently interned at Manhattan Motorcars during my last few years of college and apprenticed under Bobby Singh of Manhattan Motorsports. Working with Bobby we very often have built TT's with excess of 500+hp. This artform of Porsche tuning has become my greatest passion and has given my life which at times has been hard and confusing, great direction. However everytime Bobby hands the keys of one of these beasts back to a customer, I fear deeply that this kind of power could be getting put into the wrong hands. Recently there was a customer that we built a one-off car for with a sick amount of power. He told us that his wife was 8 months pregnant and I freaked out. An event like Bens death is the ultimate fear of the Porsche community. It is mind boggling that these "toys" that we work so hard for and bring us so much joy can quickly end our lives. Essentially everytime we get into our Porsches we are putting our lives in danger as we are baisicly strapping ourselves into tin cans and propelling our fragile bodies at insane rates of speed. I came across the post regarding Ben's death at about 5am NY time, and then the recent pics of his baby in his cars. I am as tough and mean as a kid from New York can be, but this tragety made me cry and I imediatley got on the phone to my girlfriend in LA who is probably the only person in the world aside from the other 6 speed memebers who could understand why I was so upset about the loss of someone I had never met.. There are many people in this world who own Porsches, but the sense of community among the board members here is overwhelming. I think it is great that this sub culture of Porsche nuts has such a forum to become such a tight community. Anyway everyone please be careful. This is a horrible beginging to the summer. Let us please not have anymore accidents this summer. Everyone must think of Ben and his little baby girl everytime they turn the key of their little German mechanical monsters... I have put a call into my cousin Leo Wolinsky who is the Deputy Mangaging Editor at the LA Times (and owns a Boxster) to bring this board to his attention. I felt it was necessary for him to make an attempt to bring this tragedy and the out pouring from our community to the knowledge of the general public.. Once again please be safe and my wishes are with Ben's wife and baby girl...

The Sorcerer
05 996 TT "S"
04 Cayenne "S"
91 C2 Cab
65 356 C

Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
I dont want to imagine what the other driver feels like. I agree, I bet everyone at that event was stunned.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:03 AM
CABRIO C4 is infamous around these parts
Very sad, my condolences go out to his wife and baby daughter.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I'm going to the track this weekend and pray that my four kids don't get the same call. Both family's have experianced a great loss. The pictures posted in the news are very hard to digest. May God bless both of you who lost your lives doing what you love to do.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned
Phoebe@EVO is infamous around these parts
I have gotten the pleasure of talking with Ben over the phone many times while his 996 was here getting a supercharger installed. Ben was a great guy and always had a positive view on life. My prayers go out to his wife and daughter. I also want to send my prayers out to the passenger that was with Ben, RIP.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Re: Our Worst Fears...

A thought occured related to the Post by Sorcerer and it scared me, I had a friend named Vatche who 10 years ago while testing a 600+ hp 911 and went to pass a car in a blind turn. He killed not only himself, but his brother who had a wife and child, as well passangers in a van he struck head on. This occured in North Jersey on Route 9W around Memorial Day 1995 just prior to me moving to S Florida. I just spent a moment thinking of the good times I used to have with him. and the fact that this kind of power in the wrong hands can be lethal and to remeber our own mortality.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
I very rarely post on this board, but look at it everyday. For those of you who don't know me I am a 23 year old Porsche mechanic and my father and I collect Porsches of all vintage. I grew up at the Bridgehampton race track with Porsche club racing and went on to do many apprenticships in the Porsche business and most recently interned at Manhattan Motorcars during my last few years of college and apprenticed under Bobby Singh of Manhattan Motorsports. Working with Bobby we very often have built TT's with excess of 500+hp. This artform of Porsche tuning has become my greatest passion and has given my life which at times has been hard and confusing, great direction. However everytime Bobby hands the keys of one of these beasts back to a customer, I fear deeply that this kind of power could be getting put into the wrong hands. Recently there was a customer that we built a one-off car for with a sick amount of power. He told us that his wife was 8 months pregnant and I freaked out. An event like Bens death is the ultimate fear of the Porsche community. It is mind boggling that these "toys" that we work so hard for and bring us so much joy can quickly end our lives. Essentially everytime we get into our Porsches we are putting our lives in danger as we are baisicly strapping ourselves into tin cans and propelling our fragile bodies at insane rates of speed. I came across the post regarding Ben's death at about 5am NY time, and then the recent pics of his baby in his cars. I am as tough and mean as a kid from New York can be, but this tragety made me cry and I imediatley got on the phone to my girlfriend in LA who is probably the only person in the world aside from the other 6 speed memebers who could understand why I was so upset about the loss of someone I had never met.. There are many people in this world who own Porsches, but the sense of community among the board members here is overwhelming. I think it is great that this sub culture of Porsche nuts has such a forum to become such a tight community. Anyway everyone please be careful. This is a horrible beginging to the summer. Let us please not have anymore accidents this summer. Everyone must think of Ben and his little baby girl everytime they turn the key of their little German mechanical monsters... I have put a call into my cousin Leo Wolinsky who is the Deputy Mangaging Editor at the LA Times (and owns a Boxster) to bring this board to his attention. I felt it was necessary for him to make an attempt to bring this tragedy and the out pouring from our community to the knowledge of the general public.. Once again please be safe and my wishes are with Ben's wife and baby girl...

The Sorcerer
05 996 TT "S"
04 Cayenne "S"
91 C2 Cab
65 356 C

Last edited by Marc; 06-04-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:17 AM
tofumann is infamous around these parts
RIP.....

I was riding on my so-called "track bike" on the very same track(CA Speedway) 5 days ago, and I was going to ride that track again on next Sunday. I also have a 3 months old baby-girl and love pushing my limit on the track. Don't know what to say but Ben..RIP. I'm sure you were a great father and your family will be well taken care of.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 AM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
My condolences and prayers go out to Ben and Cory's familes. I don't post too often and haven't much since I decided on an E55 over 996TT (couldn't roll a CGT like Ben )due to my growing family. However, I recall oftentimes reading Ben's posts and debates and how passionate he was about his cars. Like you guys say, even though we don't meet in person, we all share a common bond and it strikes a deep chord when one of us is lost, let alone in an occurence such as this one.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
I am so sad. I just went upstairs to talk and hug my 14 yr old son, who loves Porsches and especially loves watching his Dad at track days. I told him what happened and the look on his face was tragic. I so feel for all families involved.

Are track days worth the rush. The DE's in Colorado are so controlled and you rarely go over 100 MPH. We can be killed driving to 7-11. Guys and gals, please be safe. Our families deserve it. RIP Ben.

Ken

Old 06-04-2005, 11:31 AM
zwodubber is infamous around these parts
I really don't know what to say. Ben was one of those members who I didn't know in person but felt like a friend. I always looked forward to and valued his comments and experiences. Condolences to his family and all he touched.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:37 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
I am speechless. RIP Ben...you will be missed.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by SteveH
just thinking about this some more...can you imagine what the Ferrari driver who pulled in front of him must be going through today? I would assume everyone who was at that event is having a very rough time.
I hope he can protect himself by believing it was the marshall's fault ... I definitely would not want to be in his place right now.

We always say "**** happens", "it's racing" or "we know motorsports are dangerous" ... and yet ... here we are, when it hits so close to home, it's impossible not to question what we have for a passion.

Today I'm even prouder to be part of the 6Speed family, seeing how every single one, lurkers included, took the time to write a few words for a great contributor to the car enthusiast community, as well as a great man. I will not forget how he lived, as that it still is a great thing to look upon.

Once again, may Ben and Corey rest in peace, and all my thoughts go to their respective families.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 AM
gilzen is infamous around these parts
Please share a moment of silence and prayer for our dear brother Ben and his family. I pray may we never have to share another post like this again ,ever. Beyond that words fail me. Gil

Old 06-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
Condolences and prayers to his family and friends. Rest in peace Ben.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sad News about OUR ben lj, Ben Keatons.......