6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Pros/Cons of carbon ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Pros/Cons of carbon ceramic brakes

Hi all. I've been away for several years, Porscheless, but am coming
back to the fold. I am optioning a car and wondering about the CC
brakes. I will be street and autocross only.

The salesman said the rotors would never die, and at 60k miles, I'd spend
$2k on new pads.

I am reaching out to the independent knowledge for the news.
Thanks!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
OK, I did some searches (too excited to do it before posting! )
and I hear that for track they are great but will be expensive to
replace and you will have to, after a while. For street and autocross
they should last fine, but there are also stories of the occasional
rock between pad and rotor, destroying them both...

Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I know guys that use them at the track all the time. Your main concern would be the rears wearing out quickly because of traction control. Other than that, I wouldn't be concerned at all with autocross, since you speeds are much slower. A huge pro in my book is no break dust and beautiful yellow calipers. With that said, I'm a track junkie and run the steel set on my turbo.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Rostamon8 is infamous around these parts
A few months back a guy with a 991 Turbo S let an inexperienced driver take his car to the track and they smoked his ceramics. All four rotors and pads were destroyed $30k plus in repairs. On the other hand I have friends who track regularly and don't have a problem. The owner manuals once stated that the life expectancy of the brakes was 200k miles. This is very possible on the street. Just price out an iron rotor brake job, pads and rotors, and you will see that the ceramics will pay for themselves in no time. Not to mention less un-sprung weight and better performance.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:31 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rostamon8
A few months back a guy with a 991 Turbo S let an inexperienced driver take his car to the track and they smoked his ceramics. All four rotors and pads were destroyed $30k plus in repairs. On the other hand I have friends who track regularly and don't have a problem. The owner manuals once stated that the life expectancy of the brakes was 200k miles. This is very possible on the street. Just price out an iron rotor brake job, pads and rotors, and you will see that the ceramics will pay for themselves in no time. Not to mention less un-sprung weight and better performance.
If you plan on tracking your car your carbons Will wear out, I know I guy that smoked his in 4 track days, mine are 1/2 worn out in 5 track days. This is at Laguna Seca.