911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Do you run a front plate on your 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:04 PM
y1der is infamous around these parts
i have not run a front plate in years, as for the hole, i went to lowes hardware section and bought some plastic plugs, painted to match with laquer rattle can, a dab of clear rtv to hold in place

Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
If you're not running stock....aka no cats or other offstreet mods on the street, don't play games with the cops....run a front plate if it's required by the state....your choice, your fine....Pipes

Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I ran without front plate on my 997S for 2+ years. No tickets or stops for it. And I was saved was a red light ticket (10pm slowed down for a right turn and went thru on red - I was tired). But with no front plate and a bus blocking the rear plate - no ticket. I'm a going to use a tow hook mount to put a plate on the front of the 997TT.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM
agw028 is infamous around these parts
In NY stopped once for rolling thru STOP sign. Cop said he understood why I didn't have a front plate.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 AM
ofishbein is infamous around these parts
I run a euro plate right now (but with my legit CA number). I figure at least I will comply with the spirit of the law, if not the letter. Before that I never ran a front plate and I have never gotten pulled over.

I heard that they have been ticketing cars parked at meters for no front plates in Santa Monica - to drive revenue, I guess. With the economy the way it is, it will probably get worse. Sometimes I watch oncoming traffic and it appears that about 10% of cars in So Cal don't have front plates.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
No front plate was a hassle in my experience because I gotten written up by a meter maid. The idiot couldn't written a for meter mark down because I have a Blue Placard, so he wrote me an no front plate and covered vin number as well, because my placard cover only the first two ONLY letters of the number on the windshield. I wasn't happy when I got, and I didn't even win the contesting, so I had to fork out 100 bucks for it.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned
brandongt3 is infamous around these parts
No matter what the law is, I'll never put a front plate on a P-car....just takes a lot away from the car imo

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
dhc3 is just really nicedhc3 is just really nicedhc3 is just really nicedhc3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by brandongt3
No matter what the law is, I'll never put a front plate on a P-car....just takes a lot away from the car imo
I agree, it totally ruins the front end look of the car. I don't think any sports car was ever designed with a white rectangle integrated in it's front end for appearance sake.
dhc3

Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 PM
TurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud of
I cant remember the last time I ran a plate on any of my cars.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Turbo911cm is infamous around these parts
Running no front plate in IL just gives the cops a cheap reason to pull you over or the meter maid to give you a ticket. Yes, it does not look right and the flow of the car is interrupted by a piece of ugly sheet metal, but..

I was written a warning for having a lic plate cover on my car (clear) by a bored state patrol man. First thing he checked after he pulled me over was if I had a front tag as well. I was lucky enough to have it and played stupid to the law prohibiting lic plate covers in IL.

State, county and local gov't are hurting on their budgets, I dont need to help them balance it with a lic plate ticket.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
I haven't ran a front plate for years and never gotten a ticket. There is this new thing called motorize hide away plate with a press of a button. I haven't seen it on a 911, but I am sure it could be useful. Check out this YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnrfk...layer_embedded

Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Turbo911cm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche05
I haven't ran a front plate for years and never gotten a ticket. There is this new thing called motorize hide away plate with a press of a button. I haven't seen it on a 911, but I am sure it could be useful. Check out this YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnrfk...layer_embedded

I have seen that before and it is pretty slick. Some of the cars I have seen it on the plate slides below the front lip, and we all know how successful that will be on a low vehicle.

I like how they have applied in the video to the Audi, at least it is protected and has a clean install.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 PM
rbuisa is infamous around these parts
I live in Oregon. I also take my car to Seattle quite frequently. I have been pulled over twice....and ticketed. Once in each state. I push the speed limit(of course) and also have a laser shifter........I have never been pulled over for speeding but twice for no front plate. I prefer running the car without, but as some said earlier.........of all the cars on the road, p-Cars and other exotics stand out and I don't need to give them a reason.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM
mdrobc13 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pipes
My Passport 9500 works overtime in my 87...the cops are around every corner..it's imposssible to drive through Easton without setting it off every couple of minutes.....driving down route 50 to Ocean City is an exercise in counting cops and speed traps. You can usually count at least 6 to 8 staties in the 45 mile trip. They gang up with 4 or 5 cars in one spot and have a dozen or more cars pulled over on the side at one time.
I live further south near Annapolis and have run my M3 since 2008 without a plate (BMW didn't put one on it when I picked it up at the factory) and so far no troubles.

Originally Posted by Pointby
No front plate on the GT3, none on my daily driver and none on my track car. But, I was ticketed late on night recently, after 9:00PM, in downtown LA for no front plate in the M3. It wasn't even a fix it ticket though. Just paid the $25 and still don't run a plate.
Yes that's the cost of doing business sometimes...I guess and driving a 911 or other semi-exotic or exotic.
Originally Posted by colt45
Maryland needs front tags but I would never drill holes in my bumper so my front tag is inside my car. If I get pulled over I will tell them it fell off.
Bumper plugs sells replacements for the holes. Fell off...LOL
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Virginia requires front plates but my CPO car came from a state that didn't, so there's no place to mount one. There are so many military in the DC Metro area with their cars from all over the US that you see many from states that require only a rear plate. I drive with no front plate and no one notices. I've driven past cops lots of times and they don't even look.
Mr. B
I am military also and I agree there are so many members with cars from all over that if they took the time to figure out what states require and do not require front plates the parking meter maids would never get anything else done. Also that works in your favor as often you're out of state but retain the plates from your home state thus they often don't ticket what they don't know. And like many have said; the fix it ticket is the price of admission so to speak and a minor hinderance vs. messing up the beautiful front ends of our automobiles.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Status Report

Originally Posted by mdrobc13
I live further south near Annapolis and have run my M3 since 2008 without a plate (BMW didn't put one on it when I picked it up at the factory) and so far no troubles.
Yes that's the cost of doing business sometimes...I guess and driving a 911 or other semi-exotic or exotic.
Bumper plugs sells replacements for the holes. Fell off...LOL
I am military also and I agree there are so many members with cars from all over that if they took the time to figure out what states require and do not require front plates the parking meter maids would never get anything else done. Also that works in your favor as often you're out of state but retain the plates from your home state thus they often don't ticket what they don't know. And like many have said; the fix it ticket is the price of admission so to speak and a minor hinderance vs. messing up the beautiful front ends of our automobiles.
I took delivery of my CPO in Feb. 2008, so I've had the car for 2 years. In that time I was pulled over once for no front plate and the cop was nice enough to give me a warning. It was helpful that I had the front plate with me in the trunk, along with a mounting bracket.
Mr. B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you run a front plate on your 911?