911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Newbie here from Northwest Arkansas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Quarterracer is infamous around these parts
Newbie here from Northwest Arkansas

I didn't see an intro forum so I hope you guys don't mind.

Hello, I'm Don and I'm from Siloam Springs Arkansas. Over the summer I recently acquired a '78 911 SC Targa from a family member. My knowledge on these cars is very minimal. In fact I know nothing about the car and am debating on whether or not I should keep it. So I figured I would at least join a new forum and see what I can learn. With as little as I have in the car I figured why not. I've got nothing to loose.

Well, here are a few pics of the car.

When I picked it up this last summer. My cousin had it in storage up in Kansas City.

The daily driver.

Past vehicles.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
welcome! she's a beauty!

now that you're on the pcar forum....we'll NEVER letcha sell her! you're part of the family now. =)

Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
lol, Thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Mk2GTiVR6Turbo is infamous around these parts
not sure about the wheels, but congrats man. i also have a 78 911 targa sc, great car but now i have to have my valves adjusted any plans for it if you keep it?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Welcome to the 6. I can't imagine anyone who has ever owned a Pcar would think about selling it. Everyone I know has some kind of plans to improve their ride or add some horsepower. These cars can get under your skin. I have owned mine for 21 years.....not a chance I would sell or trade it.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Love the original 911's. Welcome to 6bling.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mk2GTiVR6Turbo
not sure about the wheels, but congrats man. i also have a 78 911 targa sc, great car but now i have to have my valves adjusted any plans for it if you keep it?
I'm not to crazy about the wheels either. I'm not sure what they're off of and they're on there with spacers. I considered putting Fuchs on it but I don't have the cash to buy some original ones. Would it be frowned upon if I bought replicas?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Any suggestions or ideas on wheel choices? I don't want to spend to much if I can help it though.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:57 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Quarterracer
Any suggestions or ideas on wheel choices? I don't want to spend to much if I can help it though.
Welcome aboard. Replica Fuchs is nothing to frown about. I along with others prefer Fuchs on the pre 964 cars. Decide for yourself what you like. If you plan on selling the car, Fuchs will get you more money.

If you really want to learn about these cars....go spend some time browsing rennlist.com. They have tons of "911" traffic over there, with tons of great info and peeps.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks. I registered there a little while back. I just now started visiting it more often here lately.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally Posted by Quarterracer
I'm not to crazy about the wheels either. I'm not sure what they're off of and they're on there with spacers. I considered putting Fuchs on it but I don't have the cash to buy some original ones. Would it be frowned upon if I bought replicas?

There is a link on one of the threads here (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=104086) with a screaming deal on 7&9X17s reps, (for like $1,200) and they look good too. Looks like your wheels are 7&9X16 993 wheels either fully polished or chromed, if factory, they will have a part # inside the spokes.
I just shipped some deep 6s & 9X15s off to be refininshed, and you are correct, they are very pricy

Last edited by racerbvd; 12-28-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Welcome to the 6 Don! Always nice to have another Arkansan. We used to own a PVC pipe manufacturer in Siloam Springs, so I've spent a lot of time there . . .

Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
He stored it in the caves in Lenexa or is that Olathe KS huh?

Well congrats on the new car and welcome to the 6.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Welcome to the 6 Don! Always nice to have another Arkansan. We used to own a PVC pipe manufacturer in Siloam Springs, so I've spent a lot of time there . . .
I'm pretty sure I know what place you're talking about. There's practically only one PVC pipe manufacturer here. You can't really miss all the pipes stacked up from 412.

I've also seen a red 308 a couple of times. That wouldn't happen to be yours would it?

Last edited by Quarterracer; 12-29-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Pipes
Welcome to the 6. I can't imagine anyone who has ever owned a Pcar would think about selling it. Everyone I know has some kind of plans to improve their ride or add some horsepower. These cars can get under your skin. I have owned mine for 21 years.....not a chance I would sell or trade it.
The main reason for me considering it is because I'm a rather large person and it is really uncomfortable for me to get in and out of the car. Plus with the orginal shifter, it kinda digs into the side of my leg when I have it in second. I'm about 6'0" tall and well exceed 300 lbs. I'm sure I'm not the typical Classic Porsche owner. Here's a pic of me in front of my truck when I took my short trip down part of Route 66.

(Yes, that's blue tape on it. This was at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo)

I was also worried that I wouldn't have the time or money to invest in the car when it needed it. At this point in my life it really doesn't make sense for me to invest much money at all into a car that I rarely get to drive or enjoy. Like I mentioned earlier, my knowledge on these cars is pretty much zero but maybe that will change since I've registered on a few different forums now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie here from Northwest Arkansas