911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Whats the best a/c upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Conaswr is infamous around these parts
Whats the best a/c upgrade?

I have a 86 cab and the whole system is not working. I have seen some ads in Excellence etc. Anyone have some advice?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Yeah, take all the old ac parts off the car and drive faster with the windows down.
I have a brand new compressor and the ac seems to work ok....but I never use it....and I live in Florida. Only reason I have not removed everything is because it works.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
I have an 87 Carrera and the A/C was always sort of IFFFY. I had to recharge the R12 every year because it leaked out.. I had all the "O" rings replaced in the pipe connections and then had the system vacummed to get rid of everything in the system. I then replaced the original oil with new oil and replaced the R12 with R134a. The new refrigerant isn't as good as the R12, but it works OK. I have to recharge it every spring, just like before, so the system still leaks, but I gets me through the summer months...which is guess is OK.

Last edited by Pipes; 03-04-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
GarnetRedCoupe is infamous around these parts
I haven't done anything to to mine yet, but it does need to be recharged. There are a couple after market systems out there, check in Pano; I think one of the companies is called Rennair??

Old 03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
When I had a 78 911 I had a company in Anaheim put a new system in with the upgraded AC compressor. I think Porsche put the new style rotary compressor in beginning in 84. It worked like a charm. I'll check out Pano and see if that company still advertises. You may need a need more than just a recharge.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Couldn't find them in Pano, but they did an excellent job. The company was called Performance Aire. Now I believe Scott's Independent Porsche repair at 714 634-2027 has acquired that company. They basically replaced the entire system hoses and all. The air came out ice cold, even when I was in Palm Springs in the summer where temps are over 110. You might have to redo your system. Maybe they can help you out.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
Right, its Performance Aire in Anaheim, CA. I dont know if they are still in business, but I put one of their rotary compressors in my 79 and a/c was much improved. also be sure to put in a different air vent in place of the "bowtie" under the middle of the dash. way much better air flow. and be sure the air flow is good with the front condenser. my front fan overheated and actually caught on fire when a rock bounced up and got caught in it. that's no fun...caveat.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
911 A/C upgrade that REALLY works.

I live in Central Florida so, needless to say, I had to do something about the A/C on my 1987 Carrera Coupé. I bought the system from Griffiths and it WORKS as a charm! I can vouch for it. My car now has to be turned down even in the Summer in Florida, otherwise, it's too cold. Try it, you won't be dissapointed. Yes, it is a bit pricey but, if you intend to keep the car a while, well worth it for, without this system, my car would languish in the garage during the Summer months. I bought from them a new evaporator, drier, A/C lines and their dual condenser system that puts two condensers on the driver's side rear wheel. I kept the original compressor and the original condensers also for a total of 4 condensers.