911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Interested in Purchasing a Older 911 But Have Some Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
WickedGrip23 is infamous around these parts
Interested in Purchasing a Older 911 But Have Some Questions...

Okay lets start out with some basic info about me, as it could play a role in this decision. I'm a college student (19) and my previous car was a 04 Subaru WRX STi (sold a couple months ago). I always work on my own cars and love doing that, its a passion. I'm hoping this is possible with the Porsche instead of going to the dealership/shop because of issues.

I was originally interested in purchasing a 944 Turbo (951) but have heard they are unreliable and upkeep and buying parts are ridiculously expensive. So bad as to keep the car running perfectly and trouble free; it will out cost the car itself. This would be a problem. If these facts are true or not I dont know but it turned me off the 944 Turbo (951).

Now this gets me to the 84-89 911 Carrera. I know the 87-89 version is very popular because of the G50 transmission. From what Ive read these cars are very reliable and not bad maintenance and upkeep wise, parts are fairly "cheap". Ive heard of some people having 200K+miles on their original motors. Is this true and what else should I know about this car in terms of maintenance, parts, upkeep, reliability, and etc? Any other info is welcome, I need as much info as I can get.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. Hopefully a soon to be 911 owner.

These are the two Im looking at right now, opinions welcome:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=82

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=36

Last edited by WickedGrip23; 06-02-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Hobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really nice
That's a very nice price for an 87, I would like a little closer at that one.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:18 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
I've sent you a Personal Message. I'm selling my 911sc.... jl

Old 06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
speednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of light
Unfortunately the answer you're looking for is not that simple. while the two look like good examples each one warrants a closer look. If you plan to purchase please have a pre purchase inspection carried out(it will save you tons of money later on). No Porsche is cheap to own. If you compare it to some new cars(I know I used to own an 04 WRX STi as well and could not believe what they wanted to charge to replace the front brakes) than yes in a way they are but the STi was a special car. Your average car would not be so costly to run. The secret to a Porsche is proper maintenance. As long as every service(i.e. oil changes, valve adjustments, tune ups, etc..) have been carry out properly than your operating cost should remain low. Use all the forums and books to educate yourself. Rennlist, Pelican Parts among others have also very knowledgeable people. Keep in mind if it seems to good to be true, it usually is. That doesn't mean that a good purchase can't be had. But that is where serious due diligance will pay off. Some cars will be higher in price but long term operating cost will be low. So don't use the cheaper way out. Buy the best car for your budget.

I have owned 3 911(including a turbo which incidentally turned out to be very reliable..although I was told it would not be)in the past 13 years. I learned more with every one I've owned.

Good luck and happy hunting

Regards

Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
total agreement. my 911sc was a daily driver with 326k miles. obsessive maintenance and a good mechanic is the key. also doesn't hurt to have AAA+ road service just in case. and, um, it helps to learn how to change a fan belt on the fly....

Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM
WickedGrip23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by judgejonathan
I've sent you a Personal Message. I'm selling my 911sc.... jl
Gonna reply as soon as my post count hits 15.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 AM
BeastRides101 is infamous around these parts
PPI all the way. 915 tranny was a good trans too, the only problem is a lot of the sychros go bad and it will cost you roughly $2500 to get it fixed.

These cars are very reliable and pretty simple to work on, unless you have to get into the engine or trans.

JUST MAKE SURE TO GET A HARDCORE PPI DONE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
I have heard that the 944/951's are quite reliable. I have also heard that they are really cheap to get into and maintain...nothing like a 911. I would do more research on those cars before you dismiss them.

I do all the work on my 911. Its one of the reasons I bought an 83...for me it was one of the easiest 911's to do it yourself on. i have many other toys...but my SC is by far my fave.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah, me too. I've done lots of the easy work, but I'm not good enough to trust myself going into the engine or trans. I'm scared to even open the lid of my '03. I'll probably regret selling the sc...

Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
brain police is infamous around these parts
Wickedgrip. I've had no major problems with my 1987 911 targa. I drive it most days during the summer months, and store it in my garage over the winter. I change the oil at 3k miles, as well as just before putting her to bed for the winter and then again before my first drive in the spring. Where in the tri-state area do you live? I live in southern CT, and a retired Porsche master mechanic lives one town over from me. He is very helpful with the work that I can't do myself, and is very reasonably priced.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
KIka is infamous around these parts
for a first 911, the SC is a terrific value and a great car. I had a 1980 911SC Targa, and it ran beautifully. The SC is a great combination of raw 911, yet some creature comforts (electric windows, AC (though don't expect it to work great)
3.2 Carreras are a little more $$ but also great cars, as you state, the G50 Carrreras are the ones to get. Depends on what your budget is, but the SCs and Carreras are both good cars.

PPI is an absolute must.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
right on all counts. and, as a seller, I'm glad I've saved and filed all, literally, all service repair orders. caveat emptor... if you're buying an older Porsche and the seller cannot show you the service history of the car then walk away.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
I was just looking at that second link again on the 1987....$11,800 is way too cheap for a car with that low of miles....hell, that price would be too low for an SC with those miles. Something is wrong with the car.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Vintage Racer is infamous around these partsVintage Racer is infamous around these parts
Wait until you get a college degree and then a MBA.

If you have a Trust Account, please ignore me.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Craig Stone is infamous around these parts
Does anyone know why my brakes on my 911 stink ALL THE TIME? (when I drive) I only use it on the weekends. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interested in Purchasing a Older 911 But Have Some Questions...