911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Need Help: 1971 911s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
Jared

If there is no rust, leave it alone and enjoy it.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Based on your pictures, I can't see why you would need to get your car repainted. Original paint is precious...my car has original paint...it has some stone chips and other minor blemishes but the factory paint can never be replaced. Think twice about the repaint......remember....keep your 71 as original as posible...that's just my advice....Pipes

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Did you guys catch the article on the silver 70 S Coupe with 700 miles on Excellence this mo? Definately worth the read.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Yugo is infamous around these parts
Take the advice of the board and leave the car as original as possible. I'm a member of the 911Sregistry and also been in the market for an early 911T, E, or S and I can tell you your car is in good condition based on the images you posted. Can you post pictures of the front pan, battery areas, floor boards, and underside of the car? Those are the main rust areas of early cars. Also the bottom of the door, the rockers, and the window sills are areas of rust. If there are no bubbles anywhere and its original paint then leave it alone - good original paint is worth A LOT.

I noticed that the door pockets are missing - there should be "map pockets" under the door arm rest. Original materials were cardboard so they did deteriorate quickly or stretch out easily.

Let me know if you have other questions - I've gathered a lot of info on these cars from a few friends who own early porsches and also from forums such as Pelican and early911sregistry.

BTW - be careful of people trying to offer to buy your car for a "good price" if the engine has original low miles and well documented by your family then I'd estimate your car to be worth somewhere in the 60's or more - it all depends on the right person. The early recaro leather seats alone are worth somewhere in the $4K range.

Have fun with the car!!

Last edited by Yugo; 12-21-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Jared'sDinan3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pipes
Your 71 911S looks great. You've done a great job with the detailing. I have a friend who owns a 71 911S w/a sunroof and he also owns a 73 911T Targa. Both cars are Concours condition, in fact he placed second in his class this year at the Porsche Parade in Carolina. Your car looks every bit as nice as his. Have fun with your project.
Thanks! Everyone keeps telling me it does not need as much work as I noted, but it really does. There are some paint flaws, and minor surface rust areas on the paint. It looks great from a foot away or at a glance up close, but once you open the door or follow the body line up very close you can see the problems. Everything that is a moving part needs to be checked out just because it has sat so long and the trim pieces are just too cheap not to replace to new. I am sure your friends 911's are in much better shape then my own. It is a big deal to rank that high at a Porsche classic event. I would love to see pictures of his cars if you have a way of supplying them. It would be cool to see what a true Concours 911s looks like.

Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Car is trashed.
I'll give you 10 grand for it

tw
Ya, it a piece of junk.

Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Jared,
That thing looks perfect in the pics.
Please go out and drive it/enjoy it.
Thanks! The pictures really dont show the problem areas. You really have to see the car in person and up close to see the problems. I try to at least warm it up every three days, and I enjoy even doing that. Every part of the car is full of classic memories so just sitting in it to me is very enjoying.

Originally Posted by Jgalt
If there is no rust, leave it alone and enjoy it.
Ya, there is a bit of rust. All of the rust seems to be only on the surface and not deep, so it should not be anything major.

Originally Posted by Pipes
Based on your pictures, I can't see why you would need to get your car repainted. Original paint is precious...my car has original paint...it has some stone chips and other minor blemishes but the factory paint can never be replaced. Think twice about the repaint......remember....keep your 71 as original as posible...that's just my advice....Pipes
Thanks for the advice! You can look above to see why I am repainting it. Another reason is because I am a professional detailer, and I cant stand one flaw in the paint. I know losing the original paint sucks, but I just cant live without perfect paint on a car like this. One thing is for sure though, I will make sure that the new paint job is very meticulous and perfect.

Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Did you guys catch the article on the silver 70 S Coupe with 700 miles on Excellence this mo? Definately worth the read.
I did, and I agree. It was cool to dive into the past, especially on a car that is similar to mine.

Originally Posted by Yugo
Take the advice of the board and leave the car as original as possible. I'm a member of the 911Sregistry and also been in the market for an early 911T, E, or S and I can tell you your car is in good condition based on the images you posted. Can you post pictures of the front pan, battery areas, floor boards, and underside of the car? Those are the main rust areas of early cars. Also the bottom of the door, the rockers, and the window sills are areas of rust. If there are no bubbles anywhere and its original paint then leave it alone - good original paint is worth A LOT.

I have checked all the areas that you have mentioned. The only rust on the car is from chips or small imperfections that left the paint to exposed to the metal.I just gave the battery areas a quick look and did not see anything major, but I will recheck and take pictures. The front pan, floor boards, and underside of the car looked exactly how they were supposed to be. Just a bit of grime from the past. The rockers and the bottom of the door do have some minor chips, but the window sills are great. There was also a bubble or two in a spot. I wish the paint was just free of the surface rust and chips, because anything besides that I can correct to perfection. But I am sold on repainting it, so I will disassemble everything, strip all the paint, and have the car repainted. I will take it to the best people I can find, and will not be happy with anything besides perfection. Attention to detail is my number one goal.

I noticed that the door pockets are missing - there should be "map pockets" under the door arm rest. Original materials were cardboard so they did deteriorate quickly or stretch out easily.

My father made some additions to the car. I like them and think they match very well. Will it help with value to change this back? He also had a new sound system put in with a CD changer under the hood. The sound system was done with class and it is hidden very well. To the right of the heater system on the consul you push in the dash and the deck pops out. Should I change this out as well?
A
Let me know if you have other questions - I've gathered a lot of info on these cars from a few friends who own early porsches and also from forums such as Pelican and early911sregistry.

I would love all the information you can give me. I really don't know anything important about this car. I would love some help if you could tell me the best way to go about this rebuild to make sure I do not sacrifice the integrity of the car. I want to keep everything as original as possible to keep the value as high as possible.

BTW - be careful of people trying to offer to buy your car for a "good price" if the engine has original low miles and well documented by your family then I'd estimate your car to be worth somewhere in the 60's or more - it all depends on the right person. The early recaro leather seats alone are worth somewhere in the $4K range.

Don't worry buddy, this one will be in the family forever!

Have fun with the car!!
Thanks! All this information help a lot. I would be grateful for more information and help if possible with the build.

Last edited by Jared'sDinan3; 12-22-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Talking

[quote=Jared'sDinan3;2184074]Thanks! Everyone keeps telling me it does not need as much work as I noted, but it really does. There are some paint flaws, and minor surface rust areas on the paint. It looks great from a foot away or at a glance up close, but once you open the door or follow the body line up very close you can see the problems. Everything that is a moving part needs to be checked out just because it has sat so long and the trim pieces are just too cheap not to replace to new. I am sure your friends 911's are in much better shape then my own. It is a big deal to rank that high at a Porsche classic event. I would love to see pictures of his cars if you have a way of supplying them. It would be cool to see what a true Concours 911s looks like.

Jared....go back a few pages in this thread and look for "Mini Porshce Parade" (page 9 dated 5/6/07). I posted a thread about an event I sponsered in Oxford, Maryland in the spring of 2007. You will find both a blue and silver 911 long hood parading down the street as well as the two beauties parked next to each other in a line up along the street. My car is the black 87 that has been lowered and leads the parade. Let me know what you think....Pipes.

Last edited by Pipes; 12-22-2008 at 07:14 PM.