911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Need Help: 1971 911s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Jared'sDinan3 is infamous around these parts
Need Help: 1971 Targa 911s

Hi guys!

I am new to the forum and I hope to seek knowledge from the Porsche experts.

I have a 1971 Targa 911s that I am getting ready to do a full make-over on. It has been in the family since 1974 and really is in good shape for its age. I would know because I am a detailing fanatic and just gave it the full Swissvax treatment with Paul Dalton's CR wax. When my father figured it is time to drive a more practical car with a family, he stuck it in storage at his friend’s European auto shop for what seemed like eternity. Well its back home and I want to get this thing perfect. It has a huge amount of sentimental value.

Well the paint is ok, but just is unacceptable for my standards. I am working on finding the best body shop and will have a full--everything taken off--paint job. But before then I would like to replace all the moldings on the exterior, the lights, all chrome, and badges if possible. Basically everything that is not paint. Any ideas on where to find this stuff? I want every new. Is it possible to find these new, or will I have to get all this stuff made custom? I hate dealing with the salvage business.

The interior has been re-done and is in great shape. After a full detail on the interior I know I will be happy 95% happy, but not 100%. Still there are little moldings ect. that I want to replace. Any help on where to find this stuff?

I have the motor and tranny wrapped up, but I also need help for finding a good wheel guy. Is there anyone in the business that you recommend?

Well any help would be great. I have not a clue where to start. I need all the connections and help I can get. I know it’s not the coolest car to be throwing money at, but I love it and it means the world to me.

P.S. I will post pics soon.

Thanks,
Jared

Last edited by Jared'sDinan3; 12-01-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 AM
DougM is infamous around these parts
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
An early is is worth putting money into

Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Here are the pics I promised. Sorry for the bad quality for I did not have time to back out the golf cart to take a decent pic.

After a good polish, the wheels didn't turn out too bad, but they still need to be refinished.

I am going to detail the interior this weekend if golf permits. The interior is in the best shape out of the whole car. All it needs is a good detail, a couple of new trim pieces, and re-finished gauges.

Here is the original speedo. I can't be sure if the miles are right, but they do need to be re-finished.

Last edited by Jared'sDinan3; 12-01-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Please keep the connections coming.

Thanks,
Jared

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racerbvd
An early is is worth putting money into
I agree!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Your 71 looks great from your pics....go slow...repair, replace and rebuild as necessary to keep the car as original as possible....you have a prize most people would love to have...

Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by vivaleduc
Don't go crazy on redoing stuff, early original cars are on a class on their own...patina is a plus!!!!!

Pelican and the 911S site are best for advice but I can't stress enough not to go and paint everything to make it look like new...you CAN always restore to new or better than new...you WILL NEVER get the patina back and its originality.

I know what you mean.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pipes
Your 71 looks great from your pics....go slow...repair, replace and rebuild as necessary to keep the car as original as possible....you have a prize most people would love to have...
Thanks,

What I have started doing is ordering all new OEM body parts like taillights, headlights, rubber moldings, chrome, ect. Next up will be a couple of things in the interior like a spedo rebuild, and just a couple of new interior parts like the rubber shift boot, and the chrome trim peices. Lastly I will take the motor, tranny, and rear-end off the car, send the wheels to get re-finished, and send the body to get repainted. Like I said I am a detailing freak, and I just cant live with the paint that it has right now. Everything will be OEM. I will re-finish any parts that I cant find OEM. Lastly put some new tires on, change the suspension, and call it a day.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Vintage Racer is infamous around these partsVintage Racer is infamous around these parts
Nice car, Jared.

I don't think you should waste your time working on the car; you should sell it to me.

Good luck on your work.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey guys,

Well I finished detailing the whole car, and I thought you guys would like to see some better pictures. My camera is broken so I had to use my iPhone, but luckily they did not turn out too bad.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and comments are always welcome. I do not know much about the car, so if you see something cool or not stock please let me know.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a happy New Year!

Thanks,

Jared

[IMG]

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Old 12-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Your 71 911S looks great. You've done a great job with the detailing. I have a friend who owns a 71 911S w/a sunroof and he also owns a 73 911T Targa. Both cars are Concours condition, in fact he placed second in his class this year at the Porsche Parade in Carolina. Your car looks every bit as nice as his. Have fun with your project.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Car is trashed.
I'll give you 10 grand for it

tw

Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Jared,
That thing looks perfect in the pics.
Please go out and drive it/enjoy it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help: 1971 911s