911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

My 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 AM
dhc3 is just really nicedhc3 is just really nicedhc3 is just really nicedhc3 is just really nice
Great car! You will love it!
dhc3

Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
gutterPIG is infamous around these parts
very nice, the paint still looks awesome

Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Today she went back to the dealer to get some things fixed. I'll post a list of those fixes next week. After much deliberation, I pulled the trigger on the Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust (single outlet) plus sport cats, with their ECU software to match. I'll also report on that soon as well.

The car is a joy to drive. Only complaint at the moment is the glaring lack of torque. I understand the '86 - '89 models have different software mapping than the '84-'85s and I think something changed a bit in the engine -- the net result is that torque is not as significant, but it makes for a smoother driving experience.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
I love my 3.2...she's awsome...great sound...great acceleration...looks great..turns heads....nothing like it...Pipes

Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ Thanks Pipes.

BTW, yesterday I had the Fabspeed Maxflo muffler, airbox & sport cat installed. I was surprised that the sound was not that much different, even at WOT. I didn't expect it to shake the houses as I drove by, but it really was a modest sound enhancement.

I presume it will take ~500 miles or so for the muffler to pack. Same thing happened with my Cargraphic exhaust on the 997.

So I'll give it another 500 miles, and if no significant improvement, I'll probably do the muffler bypass. Thoughts?

Oh, and the Fabspeed ECU chip should be here Monday -- I'm hoping that will improve some of the throttle response, torque and overall power.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Throttle response and torque are hard to get with a small block 3.2 unless you open up the intake throttle body and the exhaust. The 3.2 just doesn't have a lot of torque. It will explode at 3K RPM with more intake air and less back pressure. AKA overbored intake and open headers with no CAT. A chip that gives you maximum spark advance with full fuel flow (rich) will give you maximum HP/Torque. It helps to have a modified cam to allow max fuel input in the intake stroke. My B&B exhaust headers and single chamber muffler make the car loud....a sound I love. Pipes

Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Crap -- I'm just soooo underwhelmed with the Fabspeed setup. Truly very little difference in sound from stock. I thought for sure the race cats would ensure I'd have a sporty sound, but alas, no.

They may be FS soon If anyone is looking for more performance, but wants the sound to be close to stock...I think Fabspeed is for you.

Well, my Alpine system goes in this Wednesday -- at least I can jam to some tunes while I figure out what exhaust setup will suit me.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Axeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on the your purchase, you'll definitely enjoy the Carrera and it tools like a great example

Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
GTLegacy007 is infamous around these parts
congrats on the buy, very nice car!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Classic and looking good buddy!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I had stock headers w/heat exchangers, a CAT bypass and a single chamber ss muffler with dual 4" outlets for several years after I rebuilt my engine. This setup didn't do anything for performance and little for sound. It was louder than the stock setup but not an attention getter!!! I figured the problem was in the cross over pipe that was blocking the whole free flow of the system. I changed to B&B ss headers w/heat (it's cold in Maryland), with no CATs, and a single chamber dual outlet ss muffler. That made a huge difference in HP, torque and sound!!! IMO your change out only replaced the stock muffler with a new ss muffler and a new CAT which only made your engine sound a little richer, as you say. The new chip may help the HP and torque situation...let us know what happens. Pipes

Last edited by Pipes; 04-06-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
^^^^ great summary, thanks.

Got 911chips installed today. Not much difference, so little that I would not have noticed if done in a "blind taste test".

Sigh...

Cat bypass should be in next week. Going back to stock airbox, keeping maxflo muffler and adding cat bypass. I'm done with this mess and will simply enjoy my car for a while without fussing over it

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I think the K&N cone air filter inlet performs better than the stock air/filter box. The cone filter has more area than than the stock flat filter. The intake throat is still the same, but why restrict the air before it gets to the mass air flow meter??? Overbored intake throttle bodies are also available that allow more inlet air into the system. More air can hold more fuel....which equeals more HP....worth a try. It's worked well for me...Pipes

Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
300cd300sdl911 is infamous around these parts
Congrats

Hey, nice ride. The old Targas are amazing.....We have an '85 and 2007. Nothing really beats driving the air cooled's with the top off.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I would love an update here, Taylor!
Any news?
CATTMAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa