911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

My 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Cattman.

Everything worked out well in the end. Fabspeed had just started fabricating a sport cup exhaust which is the exact sound I was looking for -- mean, throaty, loud. I coupled that with the sport cat, and Fabspeed air intake -- also keeping the chip.

The car runs and sounds awesome!!! I'll try to post some vids.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
You mentioning the aroma of a warmed up 911 motor and it made me smile. It is so true and you know you are in the 911.

Engine sound, absolutely nothing like it. Congratulations. I am going back to Houston and that will be the first thing I do is start my cars.

Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I just took my Targa home yesterday. The needed repairs are not done, but they do not compromise safety for me or for the car. Parts were on order, so I have the car for a couple of weeks to enjoy (at long last).

Some initial impressions:
* The aroma from the engine is divine. It's sort of an oily, metalic smell that really connects you to the machine.
* The engine note is classic 911. This is an obvious statement, but owning so many of the liquid cooled engines I've so missed the purr and rumble of the air cooled days.
* No power steering further connects me to the car. I feel every aspect of the road throughout my hands, arms and sholders. Just perfect.

When the weather improves, I'll try to shoot a vid or two.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
299moto is infamous around these parts
Not sure if you installed the chip or had it installed but the one I just got had instructions recommending to make sure the throttle body is opening all the way. Apparently many of the cars came from the factory not fully opening. The linkage then needs to be adjusted to allow it to open fully. The difference in HP is significant if it doesn't open all the way. Should have my car back saturday to report my chip & exhaust feedback.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Glad to hear everything worked out and you like everything Taylor. The Sport cat is just too quiet when grouped up with an exhaust system. We made it for guys who need to pass emissions in the states, so there really isn't much power gain with it. The catbypass pipe is the way to go for added power and sound on those cars. Enjoy the exhaust Taylor and let me know if anyone has any questions.
Thanks,

Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet ride.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
WOW!!! Congratulations! I am about a year away from getting my dream Porsche, particularly a late '80's 930 Turbo or a 963 or 993. I know, kind of a broad selection of choices, but what can I say, I would be very happy with any of the air cooled Porsches! Seeing your story as well as others here is very inspiring.
Enjoy your car in great health!!!

Abdon

Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 AM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Nice ride!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Paul K is infamous around these parts
Nice car, although I prefer the looks of the targa sans tail.

For those of you interested in 3.2 Carreras, the key is a pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) by an independent Porsche shop, preferably one that has never seen the car. The ~$400 it will cost you can save thousands down the road.

I'll probably pick up another (hopefully G-50) 3.2 in the next 6 months or so. Just need to decide if I want a targa or a coupe...

Cheers,

Paul.