911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

My 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
My 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa

Hello all.

Today I bought a 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa. I've always loved the air-cooled 3.2 engines and the red with tan leather interior is my favorite combo. Only dealer pics at the moment -- I'll snap pics of her late next week when she arrives.

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 03-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Gorgeous, congrats!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Really nice car...you will enjoy it...Pipes

Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Pipes -- saw you have a B&B setup. Any vids of your ride?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
nice...

Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 AM
endgame is infamous around these parts
If you don't mind me ask, how much did you pay for it? It looks like an absolutely mint example.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Sorry Taylor...no vids that I have. My son did one...I'll ask him if he still has it....

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by endgame
If you don't mind me ask, how much did you pay for it? It looks like an absolutely mint example.
Well, I suppose sharing purchase price is a good thing for the forum.

I paid $22,300. Yes, it's a very well maintained and cared for car. There were plenty of '87s to choose from but this one had everything on my must-have list as well as my nice-to-have list, along with the right price.

I haven't seen her yet because the darn truck broke down along the way. I think she'll be here tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
I had my Targa delivered to my dealer, where they will peform the $60K mile service .

I stopped by to see her and take a spin for the first time today. The first thing I noticed was the she's a cranberry color, not guards red. Turns out this color really sets the car off well and so I'm pleasantly surprised by that. It's officially called Carmine Red.

The driving experience was wonderful. Had the Targa top off and the 3.2 engine w/ stock exhaust was superb. Also the smell of that air-cooled engine along with a subtle (but normal) oil-like smell was intoxicating.

I'll probably pick her up next week -- since a lot of work as part of a 60K mile service had already been performed, I'm hoping for no big surprises. Surely things will crop up though. In fact, the electric windows went down just fine, but when I put the Targa top back on and tried to close the windows -- nadda. Perhaps just a fuse.

Anyhow, here are some pics:

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 03-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Beautiful.

Any specifics to look for when shopping for one of these?

Thanks

Last edited by RFFG; 03-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the 3.2 club! It's nice to finally see her in the pics. Mine is at the independent doing a complete brake job - rotors, pads, fluid change, cluth bleeding and perhaps caliper rebuilds if needed. When I had my Targa, I tried to drive with the top off as much as possible. Take it on some country roads! Enjoy!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 AM
911'Dreamin is infamous around these parts
My First Post

Hi- This car is the reason i cant sleep at night, I WANT ONE! Congrats on your new ride, looks soo-weet! I'm hoping to get one by next year or so, but i know theres alot to learn in the meantime. Quick question, sorry if i missed it but how many miles?

EDIT: "60k service"...nevermind

Last edited by 911'Dreamin; 03-21-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by RFFG
Beautiful.

Any specifics to look for when shopping for one of these?

Thanks
Just a good, trusted mechanic who knows old Porsches well -- that should do it.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by 911'Dreamin
Hi- This car is the reason i cant sleep at night, I WANT ONE! Congrats on your new ride, looks soo-weet! I'm hoping to get one by next year or so, but i know theres alot to learn in the meantime. Quick question, sorry if i missed it but how many miles?

EDIT: "60k service"...nevermind
You have great taste then, congrats on having your sights set on the 3.2. Year will be here before you know it and you'll have your car. I'm sure you will, but a friendly caution to pay for a thorough PPI before you buy.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 AM
I just took my Targa home yesterday. The needed repairs are not done, but they do not compromise safety for me or for the car. Parts were on order, so I have the car for a couple of weeks to enjoy (at long last).

Some initial impressions:
* The aroma from the engine is divine. It's sort of an oily, metalic smell that really connects you to the machine.
* The engine note is classic 911. This is an obvious statement, but owning so many of the liquid cooled engines I've so missed the purr and rumble of the air cooled days.
* No power steering further connects me to the car. I feel every aspect of the road throughout my hands, arms and sholders. Just perfect.

When the weather improves, I'll try to shoot a vid or two.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa