911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Considering a 1980 911SC - help me decide?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
cyntaxx is infamous around these parts
Considering a 1980 911SC - help me decide?

Gents (and non-gents),

I'm considering the purchase of a 1980 911SC, dark brown with brown interior (not sure of the actual names, something like Hellrot Brown?). I'm based in Shanghai nowadays but would be back the end of August to pull the trigger, thus I'm front-loading my due diligence to the extent I'm able to.

- 94k+ miles
- original everything minus the duckbill spoiler
- 3 owners (I'd be the fourth)

Car is local to me and I'm very tempted. As such, I have a few questions for the Porsche aficionados in here.

- best way to verify mileage, maintenance records, ownership history? (eg., Marti report for Ford; STAR for Mercedes)
- reliability of these engines? Would the 95K original miles scare you away?
- other problem areas I should be aware of, or ensure have been addressed?
- how expensive are the engine / trans rebuilds on these?
- market price? I know the gap here could be an easy $10-$15K depending on condition - this one seems like an extremely clean driver, but not quite a garage queen / show car.

Thanks!

Charles

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Reliability of that 95k car will be up to how it was driven. My '85 911 Targa has 195k miles and still can rip the tires from a standing start. It does need new valve guides and burns a quart or more every 1000 miles but considering my mileage, it still runs great!

All of your questions seem to be relative to how the previous owner(s) treated and maintained that car.

Here in Atlanta, GA., I've gotten quotes of up to $10k to totally rebuild the engine (including clutch, cam replacement and new seals). Mine is currently for sale on Ebay ;-)