911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Most bullet proof 911 to own??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hroussard
Mezger engined car... that means a 996 TURBO or a 997.1 TURBO.
This. If you factor in the fact that these cars are reliably running more than double the hp they had from the factory all day every day, and more on race gas. Pretty much the only time my car was ever in the shop was for upgrades.

Compare it w/ the POS Cayenne TT I had, (I know, not a 911, but proof that Porsche can make junk) that lived in the shop.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM
JFlow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dublinoh
1987-89 Carrera....but these cars need attention too, 25 years old
Yes, these cars are rolling tanks. Close the doors and you'll see what I mean (964, too).

Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 AM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
I've owned a few P cars, and I know some that have owned 10+. Seriously, you want bullet proof... Find a very well cared for 1988/89 Carrera. No major problems with engine/transmission/body/electrics. These are still hand built, and all the issues since the original (1960's) have been worked out. Sure there are benefits to going to a 964/993/996 etc... but these are all at the cost of more technology, more-to-maintain etc. I currently have both an early car as well as a 997. The early car is built like a tractor... it is extremely durable, but the techniques to apply that early technology hadn't been perfected. By 1988... it had been perfected, especially with the G50 transmission. Assuming you are not looking for a track car... my strong recommendation is to find a 1988/9 Carrera that has been maintained by someone who's religious about maintenance. The cars are easy to work on, parts aren't too expensive, great drivers feel... You'll be very pleased for many years to come. Cheers. Jason (FYI, my dad has a 1988).

Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
All 996 and 996TT have taken a terrible beating in the resale market and good low mile cars can be had for amazing low prices.
Music to my ears

Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu

Compare it w/ the POS Cayenne TT I had, (I know, not a 911, but proof that Porsche can make junk) that lived in the shop.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
nottoshabi is infamous around these parts
A bullet proof Porsche will be any 911 you can get your hands on, depending on your preference of style. And since Porsche has not changed its design much, you have a choice of round head lights or oval, if you can even call those oval. LOL. And an engine overhaul from these guys.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Naish is infamous around these parts
Read some nice info here guys!

Thx

Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 AM
too tall is infamous around these parts
Gents,
This thread is a great read, much appreciated. A friend loaned me his 2006 911Carrera convertible recently and fell in love and am now in the hunt for either a hardtop or another convertible. I've driven both the 911 and 911S with and without sunroofs and both fit me fine despite my height (6'7").
The dealer says he can sell me a CPO vehicle with 2 yrs. factory warranty. Reading here it sounds like these new(er) 911s are very reliable yes?
Alternately, I can take a chance and find a better deal via newspaper for sale ads etc. and take the car for a pre-purchase inspection and save the dollars for maintenance. The downside is no factory warranty.
Thoughts?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by too tall
Gents,
This thread is a great read, much appreciated. A friend loaned me his 2006 911Carrera convertible recently and fell in love and am now in the hunt for either a hardtop or another convertible. I've driven both the 911 and 911S with and without sunroofs and both fit me fine despite my height (6'7").
The dealer says he can sell me a CPO vehicle with 2 yrs. factory warranty. Reading here it sounds like these new(er) 911s are very reliable yes?
Alternately, I can take a chance and find a better deal via newspaper for sale ads etc. and take the car for a pre-purchase inspection and save the dollars for maintenance. The downside is no factory warranty.
Thoughts?
I'm selling my 07 Targa 4S, see link below. Definitely, if its in your budget get the 4S. Bigger engine, brakes, PASM, Sports mode, Chrono... You should consider a Targa, best of both worlds, panoramic and no wind.

Targa 4S

Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Don that's a real real nice car. I'm close to Washington, DC. Road trip!
You make a good point about Targa.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Just found a 06' 911 Carrera S Coupe with 41,000 miles for $38,000 and they will give it CPO for a bit more cash. Sounds really good yes?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
07' Targa 4S

What can you gents tell me about what to watch for with a 2007 Targa 4S? The particular car I'm looking at did have the rear main seal replaced and records the owner has shows it's nicely serviced. I've learned alot since posting my first question and am now pretty gone for these Targas. They have a bit more headroom not to mention for a tall guy like me is a bonus.
Long term anything to report wrt gotchas or things that will kill me in a few years etc.?
Don - Congrats selling yours. Nice car.

Last edited by too tall; 09-12-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
What can you gents tell me about what to watch for with a 2007 Targa S? The particular car I'm looking at did have the rear main seal replaced and records the owner has shows it's nicely serviced. I've learned alot since posting my first question and am now pretty gone for these Targas. They have a bit more headroom not to mention for a tall guy like me is a bonus.
Long term anything to report wrt gotchas or things that will kill me in a few years etc.?
Don - Congrats selling yours. Nice car.
Thanks! Porsche of Colorado Springs bought mine and has it for sale if you are interested. (I need to change my signature line) I can only tell you that as a tall and big guy I loved my 997 Targa 4S. I'm cramped in my 993 Turbo and am going to try the extend my seat bracket in it to see if it helps.

Targa's are the best of all worlds with the glass top. A very practical 911 to own.

A concern that you will hear from non targa owners is the roof squeaks and rattles. This is only true on below freezing days until the car cabin has warmed up, typically a rare time to be driving your 911. And not much of a trade off for the light and panoramic view as compared to a coupe. I suspect much like the trade offs associated with have a soft top.

The longevity of the Targa roof, which is probably re-engineered somewhat with each new model, is the supported by the full glass targa roofs going back to the 993's, 996's and 997's. No big concerns with any of them, with the exception that I have "heard" from a non targa owner that in the 993's the targa body was not as rigid and the top could pop out. Search the forums under the 993's for targa in the sentence if you are concerned with this comment. I never did, because mine was a 997.

Everybody that road in my car felt it was special and loved the glass top.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
What can you gents tell me about what to watch for with a 2007 Targa 4S? The particular car I'm looking at did have the rear main seal replaced and records the owner has shows it's nicely serviced.
RMS leaks are common on these cars when it's not driven, a 997.1 that sit months on the dealer's parking lot are prone to RMS leaks. Seals needs to be driven to lubricate, when it's not, it drys and leaks. It's no big deal as long as it's well maintained.

997.2 seems to be pretty reliable, I haven't heard much problems with the DFI engines.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Question for DoninDen or others who might know.
I drove this 07 targa 4S and fell in love what a car Stupidly I told the salesman that I needed to wait for a business deal paycheck to clear (should have winged it) in three days and he sold the car. That gave me time to consider fact that targas can't take a roof rack. I won't put a bicycle behind the car it's a showstopper for me. Back to hardtop Carreras I guess.

Here is the question. I fit VERY well under the roof of a targa infact it is roomy. How much less head room is there in a 911 with sunroof?

I'll go test drive one but don't want to be "that guy" at my dealership and figure you gents might tell me it is a no go.