911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

Opinions of a 1982 911 SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
Opinions of a 1982 911 SC

I'm currently looking at picking up a 1982 911 SC as a second Porsche. I'm not really that familiar with the older ones, but I grew up always wanting one. I found one that seems to be a decent deal. It does have some flaws, but what can you expect for a 25 year old car.

Are these any major issues I need to look out for on something like this? The one I'm looking at has approximately 130k miles.

Any input I could get would be helpful.

Thanks,
David

Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
The head studs are the weak spot, but other than that, they are great cars, I have a 78 & 83 myself.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Had 82 and 83. They were great cars and I agree with racer about the head studs being a weak point. Man I miss those cars.

Aloha

Byron

Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
The 78-79 cars had larger port heads, just something to think about, and back dated exhaust is good for a real 20HP increase

Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Agree with all of the above. just be sure that whatever you seriously look at, GET A PPI DONE. It will save you some money if there are real problems to address. As far as the statement pertaing to flaws....If the car was well taken care of then it should be in real good condition. SC's will run you anywhere from under 10 grand to over 20 grand.....you will get what you pay for.

Good luck and let us know what your looking at and prices....we wanna see pictures.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Head studs are one problem, mechanical tensioners are another weak spot that need to be addressed. It's a simple matter of upgrading to the later Carrera hydraulic pressure-fed tensioners. Besides that, the 3.0 liter is bulletproof and the CIS isn't that bad once you figure out how simple it actually is. Mine's been in the family since new, just over 100K miles now and no real hiccups yet. Some small mods really bring the older cars to life and they're an absolute joy to cruise around in, they're just a little bit down on power compared to the modern cars.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 AM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Not trying to hijack this thread - more so elaborate it because I have this 78 3.0 SC I'm interested in. How much of a daily driver are these? Suppose I purchase one in May with 125K miles (although taken care of like a baby) and drive it all through the summer (to work every day and the occasional inspired drive) and sell it in October.

What kind of trouble would I get into?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by jox
Not trying to hijack this thread - more so elaborate it because I have this 78 3.0 SC I'm interested in. How much of a daily driver are these? Suppose I purchase one in May with 125K miles (although taken care of like a baby) and drive it all through the summer (to work every day and the occasional inspired drive) and sell it in October.

If the price is right, and it has been well maintain, you shouldn't have any trouble, but I'll warn you, may may not want to get rid of it and if you do, you will miss it. They are very spirited daily drivers, just plain fun

Old 03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
So the couple of SCs that I have been looking at all sold. I now have my eye on an 86 Carrera that has 113k miles. From the pictures, the car looks great. It's a 3 owner car and has all service records. No engine rebuild and no repaint. If the car doesn't sell before Thursday, I might be picking it up if all goes well. The only issue is that I need to find somewhere to do a PPI in the area east of San Francisco. I'm up in Seattle, but will be heading down to Cali for a vacation and I am planning on looking at the car on my way down.

-David

Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by David_J
So the couple of SCs that I have been looking at all sold. I now have my eye on an 86 Carrera that has 113k miles. From the pictures, the car looks great. It's a 3 owner car and has all service records. No engine rebuild and no repaint. If the car doesn't sell before Thursday, I might be picking it up if all goes well. The only issue is that I need to find somewhere to do a PPI in the area east of San Francisco. I'm up in Seattle, but will be heading down to Cali for a vacation and I am planning on looking at the car on my way down.

-David
Good luck with your hunt for a new/old car. I know its hard but dont feel rushed into buying something...or settling for a 86 3.2 if an SC is what you are looking for. Its all personal preference. I was looking to buy an 87-89 3.2 but after driving many dif year cars I fell in love with how the SC's felt and drove.

Something to think about....
You could get a kickass almost perfect SC for ALOT less than you could the same condition in a 3.2. One thing about these cars is that they may be cheap to buy (cheap compaired to newer), but they are not cheap to work on, (unless you do it yourself) and the parts are not cheap either.

Make sure to look at EVERYTHING on the car you plan to buy. You might overlook something that will not be cheap to change out. (oil lines, brake lines, window seals, lense covers, interior parts) Take a friend with you that knows the older cars....it can help alot.

Good luck.
Michael

Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by jox

I drive mine all the time. I have a truck that I use for most of my routine stuff, but if I am going somewhere that I can park the Porsche safely...its going with me.

The only time I did not enjoy driving my SC was when I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on I4 that was first gear for 2 hours. The clutch will wear you out in that kind of traffic. (I did enjoy talking to the guy in the Yancko next to me though)

I will agree with RacerBVD...you might want to keep it...they are addictive little *****e's!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 AM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your replies!

LOL, btw - I only just now realized you guys were two different people (flatsixnut and racerbvd). Your avatars are pretty much the same

Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by jox
Thanks for your replies!

LOL, btw - I only just now realized you guys were two different people (flatsixnut and racerbvd). Your avatars are pretty much the same
A coupe is not a cab.

RacerBVD is a good guy and has alot more knowledge of these cars than I do.

By the way... I meant to add the fact that not only do I drive my car alot, but I drive it hard. Once the oil temp has come up to its operating level its high charging redline runs till she comes to a rest back in the garage. She seems to really reward me for it.....I have friends that drive there cars less and do not drive them as hard as I, but they seem to run into more problems with their cars.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by jox
Thanks for your replies!

Is the car in your avitar not yours? I only ask because if it was...you would have first hand knowledge of what a 911 is.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
The car in mine avatar in my 1983 SC cab!! Last of the SCs, first fully toppless Porsche since 1965 (the year I was born) and just plain fun to drive!!! I find that my 83 SC is much quicker than my 88 Carrera. I'm about to start freshening up my cab as I have had it in storage for a few years and really miss driving it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions of a 1982 911 SC