911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

New Member - 1981 911SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned
Black911SC is infamous around these parts
New Member - 1981 911SC

Hey everyone - this is definitely the best Porsche forum out there, and since I finally have one, I had to join. Any members around south central PA?

Oh yeah, here's the car...

Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
GarnetRedCoupe is infamous around these parts
Welcome to the site, nice 911!

Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Welcome! Penn makes some good beer. My favorite is Victory hopdevil.... ok it must be quiting time here at work as I am thinking about beer.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Welcome aboard. Nice looking "Super Carrera" you got there.
I am partial to the clean lines of a spoilerless porker.

We gotta talk you through getting that girl down to at least euro ride height.
Got anymore pics?

Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
welcome to the "6"...nice SC...

Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Welcome to 6speed! Beautiful car.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Banned
thanks for the comments guys!

Flatsixnut - I am ALLLLLL ears about getting the stance the way it should be. I'd love to have about a 1 finger gap between the tire and fender all around. My dad's XK sits lower!

I'll get more pictures the next time I'm home...I have my old 74 beetle here at school with me, the Porsche would get keyed for sure sitting in a college parking lot.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Black911SC
Flatsixnut - I am ALLLLLL ears about getting the stance the way it should be. I'd love to have about a 1 finger gap between the tire and fender all around. My dad's XK sits lower!
First we need to get your height measured to see where you need to be.
Drive the car around the block a few times to settle the suspension.

Setting the car at what is generally called "Euro ride height" will give you a very pleasing car aesthetically, and it will work well for most of your driving needs. Park the car on a clean, level floor, and measure from the floor, vertically, through the center of the wheel to the closest painted surface. Your measurements should be approximately 25" in the rear, and 25.5" in the front.

Your car looks to be about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches above euro height. This wont cost you any money to drop, and is done just like the factory would do it.

Be sure to right down the measurments for each wheel and record the locations. These cars use torsion bars, so adjusting the ride height is very simple if you are slightly mech inclined.

Let me know if you get it measured and Ill post up some pics for you to use to adjust it yourself. (unless I find mine and post before you read this)

Michael

Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Banned
Sounds great - I'll do that probably this weekend whenever I can get home. I've wanted to drop the car a little bit for a while - but I wasn't sure how to go about it. I know you can lower a VW beetle by just turning the torsion bars a notch, but this also softens the ride which hurts handling. I thought the SC would experience something similiar, but I guess Porsche was a little smarter than that with the 911...

Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Black911SC
Sounds great - I'll do that probably this weekend whenever I can get home. I've wanted to drop the car a little bit for a while - but I wasn't sure how to go about it. I know you can lower a VW beetle by just turning the torsion bars a notch, but this also softens the ride which hurts handling. I thought the SC would experience something similiar, but I guess Porsche was a little smarter than that with the 911...
They were set at the factory for us over here in the US to meet bumper hieght reguierments. Nothing is changed on the car foir euro or US spec cars, just the adjustment of the torsion bars. It will actually be slightly stiffer on your SC as apposed to your bug. Older cars have a spacer on the shocks that need to be removed when dropping them this way.

Bugs are cool.

Make sure to only make small adjustments at a time. After everythime you adjust them take the car out and drive it around the block some, then remeasure. Keep doing this until you get the height you want. I would not drop it lower than euro height...mine is at least an inch lower than it should be, I will raise mine when I get time...I just cant stop driving it.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Pipes is infamous around these parts
Your new ride looks great...mine's an '87 and I've lowered it to the ground. I can't get my finger between the wheel well and tire on the rears with 9 x 16's. I just joined this site a couple of weeks ago....some great folks to trade info with.