924/944/951/968
Sponsored by:

New member, recent 924 owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 AM
CorsePerVita is infamous around these parts
Today I got the block hot-tanked. Got it back home, went after it with grinders, wire wheels, sandbits, you name it. Wiped it down in lacquer thinner to get all the impurities out and painted it. Still just doing one side at a time, but I finally decided my color combination I want for the car, I'm painting the engine to match

Here's what I started with.

Hot tank

More prep

And more prep

I didn't get any pictures of the total prep, was too excited. But here's one side finished.

Lots of wire wheeling, grinding, more grinding, more wire wheeling, and even pulled out the hand grinder. So mix of dremel, hand sanding and a grinder. Lots of lacquer thinner to get the rusty dust off and that's the end result.

Gonna go finish the rest here in a bit but am way tired, long day.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 AM
been a while since there was an update.

Interior is entirely stripped, sealed, and is at the point where i'm looking for a rollcage. racing seat is fitted and in properly now. and i am working on carbon fiber parts.

here is the most recent photo i have before the interior was all stripped and sealed..

Everything else came out soon after.

it is now all sealed up, painted it black and used something more tacky since the actual primer was too easy to scrape off.

Here is some of the parts that are currently a work i progress...

Officially there is no more dash in the car.... at all... it's all the way down to the firewall. Rewiring starts this week and will be working on a custom harness to fit the megasquirt system going in. The carbon fiber dash is 4 layer in most places, 2 layer in the rest and 1 layer where the switches were so they can easily be cut. It's quite rigid. Looks like hell but it isn't done yet. It will be replacing the old dash and is only there to hold the most basic of gauges and switches. The pillar above will house any remaining gauges if applicable.

Again, very rough, it isn't trimmed, sanded, or cleared yet. Straight off the dash as a mold.

I could not find any other carbon fiber stuff made for the 924 so I decided to make my own. It was less expensive that way and I got to do it to my own specification and make it how I wanted. Function over aesthetics.

Last edited by CorsePerVita; 09-05-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Apologies, I have not been on 6speed in a long time and figured I'd update this since I figured there may still be some people following it.

The dash is finished. Frankenstein looking, but it is functional. This is my first large carbon fiber piece done. I've made other stuff since then, and now I'm starting to get the process of making them look "a little more nice" but since it has a sentimental value of being my first piece of work finished I plan on keeping it in the car, even if it looks frankenstein. It's light light light.

I got all the parts for the harness on the megasquirt system I am building. At this point the engine just needs rebuilt, I just need to build the megasquirt on the engine and then start it and drive.

I am ditching the OEM intake manifold and going with a custom manifold. At this point I'm having a hell of a time finding anyone who wants to make it. Every time I ask I either get "i can't do that" or "well I dunno I need to think about it" or "well I need this and this" or I'm told they're interested then they never get back to me. If ANYONE has ANYONE they know who can weld aluminum and can make an intake manifold please let me know!

I am going with ITBs, I got these a bit of a while ago. They are GSXR throttle bodies.

Now... I have already removed the secondary bufferflies electronically controlled by the GSXR computer and patched the holes so the primary butterflies are the only ones present. This is exactly what I wanted, but I could not find any without those. The injectors are already pretty close to megasquirt spec on impedance, I will need to build a resistor pack but it'll be minor changes.

I'll post the updated ITBs when I get a chance.

I also bought a brake kit from a friend off of his track car. Converting from 4 lug to 5 lug and disc brakes in the rear.

Dirty but nothing that can't be cleaned up, media blasted and painted.

When I sold the 944 and bought my 911 I kept my BBS wheels for the 924 and let the 911 wheels go with the 944. That way the 924 would have some nice 5 lugs for it