924/944/951/968
Sponsored by:

New member, recent 924 owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
CorsePerVita is infamous around these parts
New member, recent 924 owner... (restoration project!!!!)

Hey everyone. New here, got pointed in this direction by a friend. I'm on a few other forums but they are either really slow or not what I'm looking for.

I recently bought a 924 project. 1977, 1 owner car, badly in need of TLC.

Interior is okay, definitely needs shampooing on carpets but the carpet is actually in great condition.

The seats have some mildew from sitting, I'm thinking i can clean these without needing to replace them, we'll see.

The engine bay is rusty, lots of things are. HOWEVER, after looking through the oil cap the valve train looks like it has no rust. I'll pull the valve cover off to be sure, and also check other parts of the motor. The tranny goes into gear, clutch works, brakes work, etc... but the fuel system looks like it's toasted.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some resources for GOOD parts, actual well priced parts (lets get real, if you get a quote from a porsche dealership for parts you'll pay 3x as much if you bought it elsewhere for the same stuff, but hey, that's a dealer for ya.)

Does anyone know of any places that also make carbon pieces for the interior? interior replacements, gauges, etc?

The fuel system is my main concern. It appears that i'll need a new fuel distributor, fuel pump, fuel injector lines and fuel injectors (injectors may be able to just be cleaned, we'll see) and hope to god the combustion chamber is fine with no rust.

I've seen some universal fuel distributors, will these work on these cars? Does anyone have a recommended setup for the fuel system that is more reliable or easier to work with or something custom they've rigged up that is more cost efficient?

Also, my hatch locks are rusted to crap. The key works, the mechanism that uses the rods that twists and locks it and unlocks it works, but, the actual pegs that stick into the body and into the locking mechanism are rusted out. Anyone know where i can find parts for these? I've searched and searched and can't find a thing....

Here's some pics

The locks (yum!)

Dash

I'll get engine bay pics later.

Last edited by CorsePerVita; 08-20-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
welcome to the 6. well, it looks like you are going to have lots of fun fixing up that car.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Recent 924 owner (restoration project)

Now THIS is how you restore seats and door panels (I changed NOTHING, these are the ORIGINAL interior pieces!)

Pics of tonight's progress. All door panels turned out to be just fine. Here is a picture of the rear seat and door panels prior to restore.

All I can say is "HELL F***ING YEAH!"

Now check it out. After stripped and dressed.

Cleaned and stripped

After dressing

Last edited by CorsePerVita; 08-20-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 AM
kunkstyle is infamous around these parts
Wow! Looks like you're doing a fantastic job with the restore!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks kunkstyle.

Here's some more pics of some progress and more pics of the car.

First off, the exterior damage. Seems pretty easily fixable.

Light assembly and rear portion.

Front passenger fender

Porsche Emblem (Rest in peace emblem ..... i hate vandals)

Locking mechanism needs a new locking mechanism...

Fuel filter?

WTF is this thing, the wingnut is stripped.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Dreaded engine bay of doom.

Ok now I'm trying to figure out and ensure these tubes went into this. They were hanging near it and are brittle and busted. One looks like a vacuum line of some sort?

Now progress:

Took out the center console, took out that ugly *** shift boot and cleaned out the area a little. Marked my wires. Took out the gauges to work on them, recrimp and fix some of the wiring.

Before:

After:

The original radio. (i wonder if it still works...)

Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Gauges cleaned up, nothing powered by armstrong couldn't fix (and some meguiars plastix)

Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Ok more progress!

Well. Today was a pretty extensive amount of work to clean up the interior. And amazingly, it smells a lot better. It seems most of the stink is hanging out in the carpet and the foams.

I vacuumed it extensively today and managed to get a huge portion of the trunk cleaned out too. I found lots of crazy things. Old papers, old pens, dimes and nickels (Hey i'm getting paid by the hour now! sweet!), even a hair roller/curler thingy.

The carpet isn't actually bad at all, nor is it worn through or tattered or bad. The carpet just needs shampoo'd really really bad. I am going to try and pull all of the carpet out of the car and clean it and then put it back in, rather than just getting new carpet. I see no reason to actually replace something if it isn't bad and it's just dirty.

- Vacuum

- More alcohol

- Clean out the rust

- Clean out all the garbage

- Removed seats

The seats were actually a huge PITA to get out because even a 1/4 ratchet won't clear the seat and hit the bolt. The problem wasn't that the ratchet wasn't clearing it, but rather that the seat actually wasn't moving all the way back. I had to sit and rock a rusty seat back and forth, basically creating it's own path in the rusty tracks till they came loose and went all the way back so i could access the bolts. I eventually got them out...

Except for one... I had to get out my heavy cutting wheel on my dremel and cut through the bolt, which ended up smoldering in a pile of rust i didn't notice and smoking (thank god i caught that in time).

After i got it out i spent a hefty amount of time cleaning up all the crap in there and vacuuming it out. The results are night and day.

Now all I need is new tracks for the seats and we'll also reupholster them and i'll have gorgeous new black leather seats. I was considering racing seats, but these seats look so nice, I really can't say no. I think what I'll do is go ahead and embroider the oldschool porsche logo onto the seat heads. It'll look nice

Enough talk. Pics and progress.

As you can see.... The tracks are rusted.

Pretty nasty

Seats aren't too bad, just need reupholstered.

VERY dirty.

Is that a hair roller from the 70s?

Spent a while cleaning it up....

Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Todd157k is infamous around these parts
well, it's coming along. A lot of work. You must have great "vision". lol

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
It's coming along great! Can't wait to see it complete.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks to both of you on the comments I like sharing progress with others. You never know what you learn when you tear something down and put it together and restore it, not to mention you never know if it'll become helpful to others. (these cars are all assembled similar in fashion, the 924/944, etc... with differences of course)

I'll have updates and more progress later this week. A friend off of another board donated fuel system parts to the cause. I thought it was extremely kind of them to do so. I'll be working on getting it running sooner than expected. I've had a TON of stuff come up in my life lately so I have been absolutely insanely busy. However, more pics, more progress to come....I also have parts going to the glass bead bath soon with paint to come.

On and on she goes. As to the vision comment, I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Well everyone, i almost have this car running. I have a lot of worklogs and updates, however, they are all in html format as my own personal site has the worklogs and the rest of them are on another site i frequent. It's very time consuming to post up the worklogs due to my schedule. If you are interested in seeing the logs I have roughly 7 LARGE posts and worklogs, pm me and i'll show them to you.

I don't have much left to do and she'll be in running condition. then the fun stuff comes into play like performance and aesthetics.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
gwapo996tt is infamous around these parts
Keep posting pics on your progress. Very interested in the outcome.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks Gwapo996tt.

I will compile a list of all the work logs probably tonight and post them.

The car is now running and driving and is now in the process of being refined, restored and at some point it will finally get some goodies. It's running strong and happily. I will post up as much info as I possibly can from my other worklogs. I think it's time for me to start keeping a template as I keep a worklog on various sites, but mostly my own. Updates to hopefully come tonight for you all and for those who are interested.

I've also started the insane procedure of cleaning up the engine bay. A lot of pieces have been wirewheeled and cleaned up as well as polished up. Unfortunately, my friend decided to use a very abrasive wire wheel on my valve cover and i'm still working the metal out to be polished up (It ticked me off royally, i tried to pretend it didn't so he wouldn't feel bad, but i was pissed). Overall though it's really coming together.

I have a large list of parts from rockauto on the way as well as another center console, brakelight pieces, hatch locks, cleaners, interior pieces but am still looking for a passenger side fender.

The fusebox is a real hell hole issue right now, it has some real issues. But i'll work them out this weekend.

Last edited by CorsePerVita; 10-10-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:30 PM
gwapo996tt is infamous around these parts
I'm currently working on mine and have almost stripped every thing off the car. I will post pics when I return home next week. The car is a 1977 Championship Edition, but I have since removed the stripes and original seat covers. I would like to have the stripes added back after the rebuild.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New member, recent 924 owner...