Need help with Slant Nose headlight motors!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
bastardturbo is infamous around these parts
Need help with Slant Nose headlight motors!!

I have a '75 911 with a slant nose body kit on it and a 3.3 turbo motor. One of the headlight motors fails to open the headlight. I have taken out the motor, but the only markings are in Japanese. It is not a 86-94 Mazda RX7 motor (I bought one and it looked nothing like mine and mounted completely differently).

I am looking for ideas.....Can anyone help me out??

Last edited by bastardturbo; 02-22-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I believe you can use the motor from a 944 headlight... the factory slant uses one motor in the middle that drives a round steel bar to each of the light buckets. My motor burned out and IIRC, the indy replaced it with a 944 motor.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately, mine is not a factory slant, so it has a motor at each headlight. With this in mind, do you think it would still utilize the 944 motor??

Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The difficulty becomes one of not knowing how they configured the headlights. Some of the folks who did these conversions were masters at modifications and worked on the premise of necessity being the mother of invention. Most used the RX-7 motors becasuse they were readily available. I bought an extra motor for my slant just to have one on hand. I can't even recall who I bought it from, but I got it after about a 6 month search on eBay....and I'm sitting here looking at it. It has a rubber covering on the round metal case covering the motor and a relay with the numbers 944.616.202.00 which would make me believe that it came off a 944...but I can't find any other numbers, just the markings "SWF Germany" on the mechanism case. I'd venture to say that since they said they replaced my original motor with one from a 944....this one I have is similar.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I wish mine was a factory slant like yours. However, this motor is definitely not of German origin. Thanks for your help.....

Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Have you tried putting an RX 7 motor in there? Go to a junkyard and get one off a wrecked one and see if it might be able to be adapted....there aren't that many motors that were used in the conversions...and most of the DIY instructions called for the RX7 motors, so if you were to get one, I would imagine that it would work.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
6isenuff is infamous around these parts
yes the rx-7 motors will "should" work best of luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Bastardturbo: Go over to Pelican forum and take a look in the 911 Technical forum...there's a discussion going on over there on this exact issue along with pictures of the installation of the RX7 motors.....I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info from those guys who are just now involved in the same process....the pictures may help you out a lot. Best of luck in your quest.....

Chuck