930 suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 PM
FiiT is infamous around these parts
930 suspension upgrades

I've been working on my 87 930 and I'm thinking about upgrading my suspension. Right now everything is 100% bone stock. I'd like to improve handling for track use but this car is not intended to be a hardcore track car. Any suggestions?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 AM
JBL930 is infamous around these parts
Everything you need is here http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/S.../Steering.html
Top stuff and you won't find it cheaper, i have the full RSR set up waiting to go on mine

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
_JD_ is infamous around these parts
I agree about Rebel Racing. I have their Bilstein-based coilover system as well and I like it very much. I did Rebels coilovers with a bunch of Elephant Racing add-ons like camber plates, polybronze bushings, de-cambered ball joints, bump steer kit, and rear monoballs.

Just be careful- once you go with coilovers, there's a whole bunch of other stuff you pretty much have to do to make everything work right.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Rebel Racing

Thanks for the lead. I've been looking for links like this and I don't know why they never showed up. The custom wheels look pretty sweet as well.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 PM
cherry930 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by _JD_
I agree about Rebel Racing. I have their Bilstein-based coilover system as well and I like it very much. I did Rebels coilovers with a bunch of Elephant Racing add-ons like camber plates, polybronze bushings, de-cambered ball joints, bump steer kit, and rear monoballs.

Just be careful- once you go with coilovers, there's a whole bunch of other stuff you pretty much have to do to make everything work right.
Hey JD, I just bought the bilstein shocks w/ coilovers, but wanted to know what you would recommend to make things go right. Everything on my suspension is pretty much stock except I have the Elephant Racing bushings in the front. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:53 AM
_JD_ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cherry930
Hey JD, I just bought the bilstein shocks w/ coilovers, but wanted to know what you would recommend to make things go right. Everything on my suspension is pretty much stock except I have the Elephant Racing bushings in the front. Thanks.
If you're talking about installing them properly, then check out this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...n-install.html

If you mean what other items you need to complete the suspension job, I would recommend talking with the guys at Elephant Racing. They can make some good recommendations.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 AM
gumbajv is infamous around these parts
For the rear, I would go with the Wevo/Ohlins single adjustable shock (does both compression & rebound), a coil over tender/helper spring to deal with turbo squat. This would let you stiffen the shock at the track for better handling, and soften it for the street. Works with or without coil overs. I would use the smallest torsion bar acceptable for the track, with large sway bars.
If you go to straight coil overs you will need to beef up the rear spring perches.
I used re valved Bilsteins (street/track) on our '73 targa, great for the track, but too stiff for the street.
I ran re valved bilsteins (race setting) w/coil overs on our race car, then swtiched to the Wevo's. This resulted in faster lap times due to the shock being more compliant over uneven surfaces.
'75 Carrera RS look race car
'79 930/DP935

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Ohlins suspension

I looked at the Ohlins website and more questions came up. Which shock did you use? What about the springs? Not sure how to figure out which shock and spring. Is there a recommendation of a dealer or shop that has details on the set-up for a 930?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
gumbajv is infamous around these parts
Talk to Hayden @ Wevo, http://www.wevo.com/WevoContact.htm. The shocks are made to his specs. He will be able to help you with spring rates.You adjust the shock by turning the black **** at the bottom. They come with an adapter for the top and install like a stock shock. Here is a shot of the shocks on my race car.

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 PM
930 suspension

Thanks for the lead. I'll give him a call and find out the details.