930 near Rancho Cucamonga (So Cal)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
930 near Rancho Cucamonga (So Cal)?

I'm looking to pick up a 911 turbo in the near future. The problem is I can't decide on what model. I love the looks of all of them. I've driven a 996 and 993 but never a 930 or 965.

I've been asking for a while now without any replies so I'd figure I post this in something other than the regional forums.

Is there anyone near Rancho Cucamonga who will be willing to show me their 930 or 965. I don't have to dive it either. I'd be more than willing to buy you lunch, fill up your gas tank and you'd be more than welcome to drive my Esprit.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
I would let you drive my 965 if I lived near you. Coming form a 996 Turbo I enjoy my 965 way more. If I was using it as a daily I'd probably pick the 996 but The 965 has more feel to it, more nostalgic, is more appricated, better made, and will always be worth something (so will the 930s and 993s, unlike the 996 and newer). I also like the 993's but the 930/65's are more raw and have classic headlights and really pronounced rear fenders, and I prefer the exhaust note, especially on the over-run more then the others. If you'd like more insight into the car send me a PM! Happy hunting.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jrgatfh
I would let you drive my 965 if I lived near you. Coming form a 996 Turbo I enjoy my 965 way more. If I was using it as a daily I'd probably pick the 996 but The 965 has more feel to it, more nostalgic, is more appreciated, better made, and will always be worth something (so will the 930s and 993s, unlike the 996 and newer). I also like the 993's but the 930/65's are more raw and have classic headlights and really pronounced rear fenders, and I prefer the exhaust note, especially on the over-run more then the others. If you'd like more insight into the car send me a PM! Happy hunting.
Thanks Justin, from what I've seen, I'd agree with your post but what do you mean about a 965 being made better than a 996, how so?

Here's where I stand. I love the way the 930/965 looks. I find a 996 a bit boring in the looks department. Now the car will be a semi-daily driver. Because of this, I appreciate how easy the 996 is to drive and I feel it will be a nice compliment to the rawness of the Esprit. While I LOVE the looks of the 930/965, I'm afraid it will be too much even for a semi-daily driver. With the 996, I'm afraid I'll get bored although I do like the additional luxury/comforts. I can't decide!!!

What's your take?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
rgagliano is infamous around these parts
Decisions Decisions

I have both a 996TT and an 89 930 cabriolet. You cannot compare the two. The 996 is loaded with torque throughout the powerband, has all the modern toys while the 930 is more traditional Porsche, has a definite turbo lag, poor a/c, noisy, etc. People ask me which one I like the best and my answer is ..."the last one I drove." I love them both and plan to keep them til I can't drive anymore. It's kinda like ice cream, the best one is the one you like, only you can decide that so drive them both and make a decision. I also have an 85 whale tale Carrera with 3.4 barrels, Elgin cams, ported, polished, etc. It probably is more fun to drive than any of the three I have. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Well, I gave up on a RWD air-cooled Turbo. After not being able to experience one in person, I settled for a clean 996TT. I love the car but I still have a thing for the 930/965. Maybe one day....

Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 AM
BadP930 is infamous around these parts
Smile what to buy

what's that saying, "go 930, never go back". all Porsches great, but 930 is the ultimate ride.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Plexiform is infamous around these parts
930 all the way baby!

I'll start by saying my opinion is highly biased. I just traded my 2001 996 C4 for a 1978 930 with all kinds of mods - putting out 450+ RWHP and not sure about the torque but it feels a LOT "torky" (?is that a word) than any 996TT or 930 I have driven before. It has a K29 RUF turbo along with a lot of other stuff. Anyway I just took delivery on the car yesterday and I was so worried about getting an old car in return for my almost new car with less than 25k miles but I am very happy with the trade. Granted my 996 was not a turbo so it was going to be better than that without question but I have lots of test driving experience with porsche turbos and this one is simply better. Compared to a 996 X50 TT I drove with almost no miles on it, this one blows it away.

Why is the 930 better you ask?

My nonmechanic explanation is simply the 930 keeps me very connected to the road. I feel every bump in the road and it requires me to be thinking constantly of what I'm doing. With my 996, the AWD and porsche traction control I could literally not even think of driving while i was in there and it would drive amazingly. So I am not saying the 996 series cars are not good on the road...in fact I would say they handle a million times better than a 930. But if your goal is to feel like you're on a race track ALL the time, and if you want to throw the rear wheels out and go sideways around the turns, then the 930 is really the only choice unles you get into the GT3/2 cars.

Bottom line: I love this 930, and I agree with the guy who said - "once you go 930, there is no going back!"

CONS to owning a 930: I will let you know after my first mechanics bill.