Lost dipstick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:15 PM
somoney311 is infamous around these parts
Lost dipstick

Has anyone ever lost there dipstick in their oil tank? Let me tell you that was not fun! Had to change my oil just to get it back out...yes I pulled it out of the drain hole.

BTW this is my first porsche it is an 89 930 Turbo. Thank god it is relatively basic engine.

James

Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Awesome 1st Porsche! I want a 930 also and 1989 is the only model year I'd consider!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah '89 is a great year! I found that out after I bought the car. I got lucky because it has the 50/50 trans in it so I don't have to worry about that aspect. It is moderately modified but I feel the bug hitting me. I think the next step will be to work on upgrading the fuel injection system.

i will post some pics when I get a chance and it is nice out.

James

Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Here are some of the pics I took today.

Attached Images      
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I read this thread before my 930 arrived (last Friday). A 1988 in excellent condition. But I wondered back then, 'how could you lose the dipstick down in to the engine?'.
Well, after checking the oil shortly after the car arrived, it was clear how that could happen. What an odd design. Is there a method or mod to prevent that from happening? A tight-fitting screen over the non-dipstick (oil filler) part of the hole?
Great great car BTW. I'm completely blown away by the quality and sturdy construction of the entire car. And it drives like it's 1/2 race car and 1/2 a sports car that was designed and built last week.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 AM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by somoney311
Has anyone ever lost there dipstick in their oil tank? Let me tell you that was not fun! Had to change my oil just to get it back out...yes I pulled it out of the drain hole.

BTW this is my first porsche it is an 89 930 Turbo. Thank god it is relatively basic engine.

James
I did it on my former '89 Targa- felt like a real dipsh__ - enjoy your car.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
In 20 years of air cooled 911 ownership, this has never, ever happened to me! Nevertheless, I've heard this happen to others many times so you're not alone. Enjoy your awesome car! After pondering for a couple of years what to do with my cars, I am keeping my X51 Carrera S and will be upgrading the 87 Carrera to an 89 930 in the future (near, I hope).

Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 PM
BadP930 is infamous around these parts
lost dipstick

have a quick cure w/o changing oil. have a extending tube magnet; wants to stick to everything metal, but will retrieve dipstick with a little work. enjoy