buying 930 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Plexiform is infamous around these parts
buying 930 turbo

I'm taking the plunge in to 930 world. I have found one in Minnetonka, MN and was hoping to get some comments to help make a good decision. I am in California so will be buying the car sight unseen. Ofcourse I am getting a Porsche PPI from the local dealer which I think is going to be better than my own opinion...i hope. I just spoke to the service rep and explained what I want to get out of the inspection (i.e. make sure it works well!), and am hoping to hear from him later today with some good news. This is not a garage queen...1978 930 with mods and 90k miles. I'm trading my 2001 C4 Aero with 25k miles straight up for it. I've always wanted a 930 and this one has mods that I would end up paying for: Mahle pistons/barrels upgraded to 3.5L engine, RUF Cam, RUF K29 turbocharger, Garettson intercooler, bilstein coilovers, BBS 15x11s on the rear with 345 wide tires, 5speed transmission with custom short shifter, etc....Anyway, it has 90k miles so I am obviously concerned about it checking out OK. Any words of advice are appreciated. If you know of someone in the Minnetonka area who could help, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Last edited by Plexiform; 09-21-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
hrm
hrm is infamous around these parts
That is a beautiful car. I've been looking for one for a few months and have yet to find one in good shape. I'd be hard pressed to buy a car sight-unseen, it may be worth future headaches to fly out there for 1-2 days. If not possible, I am sure someone on this forum lives nearby...

Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor
Chris@Fabspeed is infamous around these parts
VERY nice, congrats. To me, its refreshing to see someone driving that 90K miles and enjoying it rather then it just sitting a in garage somewhere.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Ditto. For a car such as this (any used car actually from my pov) it's worth a flight out there.
V

Originally Posted by hrm
That is a beautiful car. I've been looking for one for a few months and have yet to find one in good shape. I'd be hard pressed to buy a car sight-unseen, it may be worth future headaches to fly out there for 1-2 days. If not possible, I am sure someone on this forum lives nearby...

Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Talking

well a trip out there is not gonna happen unfortunately but the inspection came out with typical findings and i spoke to the previous owner which was reassuring. overall, its a used car with lots of use and modifications. i'm taking the plunge....wish me luck! I have a very good mechanic waiting anxiously to start charging me tons of money to start working on any and every issue he can find. this is one of those moments in life when every ounce of sense in my body is saying 'keep the newer car with low miles and no issues' but i'm going to completely ignore the sensible side and go with my gut...i've wanted a 930 for a long long time, and this one looks awesome to me.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Got a porsche PPI and the car checks out OK. Now the waiting game. I will probably have it in a few weeks. Will post pics when it gets here.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 PM
the waiting game.....

Well, I've sent my car and am waiting to receive the 930. I will have it in a couple weeks. I will post more pics when I get it.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:59 AM

Last edited by Plexiform; 11-09-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 AM
SiNzz is infamous around these parts
Cannot wait to see some pictures, sounds like a gorgeous 930. Congrats!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Congrats, pictures aren't working by the way.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:16 AM
So I got the car. Was running great. Visual inspection was great. Took it to my mechanic to check it out properly and he found a 98% compression leak on one cylinder. So engine out service is underway...found to be a sticky rocker and turns out to be otherwise not so bad. Here's a pic of the engine on a stand in the shop...what a cool looking engine!

Last edited by Plexiform; 11-09-2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: adding a picture
Old 11-12-2010, 01:03 AM
ZOSIK is infamous around these parts
I can't resist but to tell you that the car you bought is the first 911/930 that i've ever driven in my life. I actually drove it in my wedding as it was loaned to me for the day by the previous owner who i'm friends with. I had many opportunities to drive a 911, but wanted to savor the moment for a day that I would either own one or drive in my wedding. I actually wanted to purchase the car at one point, but it wasn't for sale. I ended up getting one later, but I will always remember that car. You have yourself an amazing car... Congratulations!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks for sharing that story and pictures. "It is a small world after all." Congrats on the wedding. Hopefully the car was good luck for you. If you're ever out west on the central coast of California feel free to email me to stop by and see it again.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
ZOSIK is infamous around these parts
There's a small pic of your car on the NORD STERN PCA page under "Rally" also. I'll keep you in mind if I ever head out west. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
TTTerror is a jewel in the roughTTTerror is a jewel in the roughTTTerror is a jewel in the rough
Ppi

The PPI didn't pick up the compression leak...not good.

Originally Posted by Plexiform
So I got the car. Was running great. Visual inspection was great. Took it to my mechanic to check it out properly and he found a 98% compression leak on one cylinder. So engine out service is underway...found to be a sticky rocker and turns out to be otherwise not so bad. Here's a pic of the engine on a stand in the shop...what a cool looking engine!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buying 930 turbo