TiAL F46 wastegate and vacuum at idle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM
WMP
WMP is infamous around these parts
TiAL F46 wastegate and vacuum at idle?

Good Morning Fellow 930 Enthusiasts,

I fancy myself somewhat knowledgeable of the earlier 911 Turbos, but I'm hoping we have a few 930 aficionados who can help me with a couple specific questions, if possible. Away we go!

We're bringing an earlier 930 Turbo back to life in the Czech Republic, and the factory wastegate is cracked. TiAL offers the F46 in Narrow Body fitment for early 911 Turbos, but is it a direct bolt-on replacement?

Next, the factory bypass valve is junk. We want to run the new TiAL QR recirc blow-off valve, but I'm not sure which spring to get because I don't know how much vacuum a typical 930 Turbo pulls at idle?

Many thanks in advance for any help and guidance, I very much appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 AM
WMP
From what I've been reading, it looks like the TiAL F46 is indeed a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory wastegate.

In case anyone is curious, apparently the Blown Six intercooler comes with a billet bypass valve, so that's a nice surprise and added value.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
yep, the F46 bolts right up.

as for the QR you can probably get away with the -8psi spring to start then we offer swaps if it's too stiff or loose

Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
WMP
Originally Posted by TiALSport
yep, the F46 bolts right up.

as for the QR you can probably get away with the -8psi spring to start then we offer swaps if it's too stiff or loose
Whoa direct from the source, thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it! OK great, so the F46 is bolt-on.

My friend is convinced he wants vent-to-atmosphere with the Q instead of the QR, will that make a difference in spring selection?

The car is in the Czech Republic so unfortunately it won't be too easy to swap springs. Thank you very much once again for your time.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WMP
Whoa direct from the source, thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it! OK great, so the F46 is bolt-on.

My friend is convinced he wants vent-to-atmosphere with the Q instead of the QR, will that make a difference in spring selection?

The car is in the Czech Republic so unfortunately it won't be too easy to swap springs. Thank you very much once again for your time.
depends on where the air metering system is located, anything pre bov and you need the correct spring so it's shut at idle, anything after the BOV and it won't matter because the air leaking out of the bov will not have been metered before

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
WMP
Originally Posted by TiALSport
depends on where the air metering system is located, anything pre bov and you need the correct spring so it's shut at idle, anything after the BOV and it won't matter because the air leaking out of the bov will not have been metered before
Many thanks again for the feedback, I had not even thought about running a blow-through MAF set-up, but that will make things real easy and eliminate any off-boost inconsistencies.

DSM tricks on a P-car, love it!

http://dsm.dejonpowerhouse.com/edit/2-02B.htm

Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
2genT is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I replaced mine with Tial 46 HP, upgrade the spring to 1.0, and so far no problemo....79 930.

good luck.