Dead radio in my '78 turbo!!! Who can help me solve the problem???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
wolfturbo is infamous around these partswolfturbo is infamous around these parts
Dead radio in my '78 turbo!!! Who can help me solve the problem???

O.K. guys, I am fixing a few issues on my recently acquired '78 Euro Spec turbo before I out her to the board.

Let me tell you all about my radio problems.....

The original Blaupunkt lights up when I turn it on and indeed powers the antenna, but I am not getting any sound. I was originally trying to remove the radio to send it out for repair, but the more I thought about it, the more I suspected that the amp may be the problem.

When I was looking under the dash to try to figure out how to get the (#&$%^@*# radio out, I noticed a small box fastened underneath the dash that looked like an amp. Indeed, there is a grayish/white power cord that goes straight from the back of the radio into this small mystery box. However, I learned from Tom DeGorter on this board that there should be an amp fastened under a wooden panel at the front of the passenger side footwell. So I pulled back the carpet to take a look and whaddya know, there's a Blaupunkt amp under there!!!

So I am attaching the following 3 pics:

1) The front of the original factory Blaupunkt radio. Please ignore the missing ***** - I removed them the other day when trying to get the radio out.

2) The mystery box from under the dash, just behind the radio (i.e. towards the front of the car). Note that a grayish/white cable and a power cable go straight from this box to the amp in the footwell.

3) Two pics of the Blaupunkt amp fastened to the wood panel in the passenger footwell.

So my questions are as follows:

1) WTF is this extra box under my dash???

2) Anybody have any great ideas to get my stereo working??? Am I barking up the right tree by focussing on the amp(s)?

Thanks to all for any ideas or help!!!

Wolf
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Arnie1 has a spectacular aura aboutArnie1 has a spectacular aura about
That is the antenna amplifier. It is needed because you have a windshield antenna. Do you get any noise out of the radio. Theantenna amplifier is prone to failure but you would get static. Also did you check the fuses for the radio and amp?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Lt. Dan is infamous around these parts
Does the tape deck work?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
wolfturbo is infamous around these partswolfturbo is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the replies guys.

FYI, I have a power antenna on the right hand fender. It powers up and down when I turn on the radio.

I had previously thought the radio display would also light up when I turned the radio on, but I don't believe it is upon further examination. I will have to doublecheck in the dark tonight.

Lastly, I found one inline fuse in the cord going to the stereo and it was fine. I also looked at the fuse panel in the front trunk and all those fuses were fine. However, none of them were labeled as governing the stereo. Is there a 2nd fuse panel I should be looking at????

FYI, cassettes don't play either. Lastly, I only get a little bit of noise when I crank the volume at full blast. Short of full blast there is no significant noise or static.

So venture some guesses boys!!!!! Amp or radio??? Should I troubleshoot further or just send out all three components for inspection????

Your help is much appreciated! Best regards.

Wolf