My Old School 930 Restoration *PICS*

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 AM
AzExoticLover is infamous around these partsAzExoticLover is infamous around these parts
very nice! I wanna see it when you are back in Az!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZLP
This is my street hot rod that can already reach is gear limited top speed quite easily so I just wanted to do a few subtle things to make it get there a little faster.
Do you have the 4speed or 5 speed gearbox? The 5 speed would put your top speed at close to 190mph at 6800RPMs and the 16" stock wheels! You must have a very serious engine in there!

Originally Posted by ZLP
If I was going all out I would mimic my boss' old car(in my avitar) which when we went out it did 230mph on the salt with the 3.0 liter engine and 217mph with the 2.0 liter engine! Good times! Does anyone sell and under body tray for the old cars? Could I chop up a 993 one?
Who is your boss? That is one amazing car!
Great work ZLP.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:26 AM
topgunq is infamous around these parts
wow looks good. Its alot of work but it will pay off in the end.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jean
Do you have the 4speed or 5 speed gearbox? The 5 speed would put your top speed at close to 190mph at 6800RPMs and the 16" stock wheels! You must have a very serious engine in there!
I have the stock 4 speed in there. I am not a fan of the 5 speeds. For the street the 4 speed feels stronger than any other Porsche tranny and the gearing is perfect for me. I have talked to Stephen a lot about this and there was a reason his yellow monster still had the stock 4 speed.
My engine is at the max for CIS(probably a little past the max) so it's making some decent power. It doesn't take much to make 2500lbs fast though...
Who is your boss? That is one amazing car!
Great work ZLP.
Denny Kahler. It truly was an amazing car with a lot of cool tricks. When we went out to the Bonneville there was a black 930 out there built by Bob Holcombe with 950hp, etc. etc. and that guy never came close to our little 2.0 liter with MFI in a 100% street legal registered car with full interior complete with upgraded stereo.

Last edited by ZLP; 01-26-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
SPEED RACER is infamous around these parts
Nice car I dorve it while its was at RJ's.
Just Kidding.
I saw the car and the work he is doing. It's gonna be like brand new. Very nice car.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SPEED RACER
Nice car I dorve it while its was at RJ's.
Just Kidding.
I saw the car and the work he is doing. It's gonna be like brand new. Very nice car.
Hey thanks! We are hoping to wrap it up this week. Anybody in the bay area should look up RJ's for paint, his work is second to none!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Keep us posted ZLP!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 PM
ZLP
Keep us posted ZLP!
The car is out of paint and being reassembled. I should have it back this week! I'll post up some pics soon. I am still entertaining your thought of an underbody tray. I like to do unique stuff like that but I have been reading that 964 and 993 guys take the engine tray off anyway because it holds in too much heat. I don't know how effective it would be if the whole car was covered then the engine open. Some of the 993 guys compain of high speed instability without the engine tray which is unacceptable since I see high speed often. I am moving back to Phoenix so needless to say I need the engine to be able to keep as cool as possible. What do you think?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZLP
The car is out of paint and being reassembled. I should have it back this week! I'll post up some pics soon. I am still entertaining your thought of an underbody tray. I like to do unique stuff like that but I have been reading that 964 and 993 guys take the engine tray off anyway because it holds in too much heat. I don't know how effective it would be if the whole car was covered then the engine open. Some of the 993 guys compain of high speed instability without the engine tray which is unacceptable since I see high speed often. I am moving back to Phoenix so needless to say I need the engine to be able to keep as cool as possible. What do you think?
I had no issues with high speed instabilty in my old 95 993 with the tray removed. Many track weeekends and several wide open 170+mph runs.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 PM
ZLP
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
I had no issues with high speed instabilty in my old 95 993 with the tray removed. Many track weeekends and several wide open 170+mph runs.
But what did it do at 190+? There is a commercial plastic place in town so what I was thinking about doing is mocking up something like the 993 4 pc. tray but for the suspension of the 930. Some heavy duty plastic should do the trick.

Last edited by ZLP; 01-28-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM
ZLP

The way I see this is the following. I have seen race 996 RSR P-cars have it as late as a couple of weeks back during the 24Hours race, and I mean full underbody CF panel, not diffuser at the back, when asked, Franz Konrad said that it was custom made for him, and he knows a thing or two about racing Porsche cars.

Now to aircooled cars, I have seen the fastest 993GT2EVO to ever run at the 'Ring have a custom made one for it in CF at Manthey Racing, going all the way from the front to the back and ending in a tail diffuser, Manthey also knows a thing or two about racing, and more specifically about Porsche handling, they did not give him the first 997RSR to test it only because they like him .
Porsche fitted on stock air-cooled cars for a few reasons but mainly because of sound emissions control, and improve aerodynamics/reduce lift. I lived in the hottest countries on Earth and have seen 120k mile 993s with the tray never removed, running as strong as when new. So the question is, does it improve aerodynamics, definitely yes. Does it hurt your engine? Watch the temps, but I hardly think so, as long as you are not caught daily in heavy traffic in 120F.

If you drive at the US speed limit all or most of the time, I would say forget the tray. You might have as many opinions are there are POrsche cars in the world, this is just one of them

Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
ZLP
ZLP

The way I see this is the following. I have seen race 996 RSR P-cars have it as late as a couple of weeks back during the 24Hours race, and I mean full underbody CF panel, not diffuser at the back, when asked, Franz Konrad said that it was custom made for him, and he knows a thing or two about racing Porsche cars.

Now to aircooled cars, I have seen the fastest 993GT2EVO to ever run at the 'Ring have a custom made one for it in CF at Manthey Racing, going all the way from the front to the back and ending in a tail diffuser, Manthey also knows a thing or two about racing, and more specifically about Porsche handling, they did not give him the first 997RSR to test it only because they like him .
Porsche fitted on stock air-cooled cars for a few reasons but mainly because of sound emissions control, and improve aerodynamics/reduce lift. I lived in the hottest countries on Earth and have seen 120k mile 993s with the tray never removed, running as strong as when new. So the question is, does it improve aerodynamics, definitely yes. Does it hurt your engine? Watch the temps, but I hardly think so, as long as you are not caught daily in heavy traffic in 120F.

If you drive at the US speed limit all or most of the time, I would say forget the tray. You might have as many opinions are there are POrsche cars in the world, this is just one of them
I asked my boss about them today and he actually tried one at Bonneville. As far as top speed and stability there was no difference with or without it. Maybe if I needed downforce it would make sense to do one with a diffuser but I don't since this is a street car.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
NaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really nice
What is the predicted rwhp with the EFI system? Also anything else besides the bodywork you are doing?

chris

Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
ZLP
Originally Posted by NaplesBound
What is the predicted rwhp with the EFI system? Also anything else besides the bodywork you are doing?

chris
Don't know, I'll post up dynos when I tune.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 PM
mclaren55 is infamous around these parts
I would think that if you wanted high speed stability some splitters and a larger wing would work. I know I got sideways at around 165mph in mine, wasn't a crazy kick, but enough to make things slow motion. Asked around, general concensus was lack of downforce. As for the diffuser, sure, but with 930's ground clearence, especially when launching, I wouldn't want to. That is of course if I was using stock torsion style suspension.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Old School 930 Restoration *PICS*