need some advise on a 951 im looking at buying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM
zackattk is infamous around these parts
need some advise on a 951 im looking at buying

i am looking at buying a 951 off a guy, he is having some issues with it and i am planning on buying it and fixing it.... i have alot of car expirence and turbo epirence. but porsche expirence.... none... so i am looking for some help...

while driving on the freeway, he went to pass someone and as the car went into boost it started to spudder and pop and a puff of smike came out... he drove it another 20 miles with very little problems unless he needed to stop, if he did stop he needed to keep on the gas for it to stay running. then it shut off and had problems starting so he had it towed back to his house. he then had the car running by itself at idle but it wouldn't rev up without giving him problems. he checked the boost pipes and they are all on and fine, checked the oil and coolant and they are both clear so we are assuming its not a head gasket problem.

i am thinking some other things to check but i am hoping you guys could help me....

i did search all the tech post and looked under 951 stuff but didnt find anything....

any advice that you guys can give me would be great. I do not have the car in my posession yet, so i need ideas for when i do actually have the car.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
The passing issue is more than likely a torn boost hose somewhere. Should be an easy fix. Sometimes the cracks are on the backside of hoses and hard to see. Almost anytime you get a spudder under boost followed by black smoke out the exhaust is due to a boost leak.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
I agree with that, one common piece to check is the underside of the hose that goes from the pressure side of the turbo to the charge pipe (which then leads to the intercooler).

Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned
ttlooking is infamous around these parts
+3 I replaced mine a few times.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned
ttlooking is infamous around these parts
Not real expensive either.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
adeeois is infamous around these parts
If it's blowing black smoke I agree with the boost leak. Pressurize the intake system to about 15 psi and you will hear and /or feel the leak. A visual inspection will not expose all leaks. Check all the hose clamps. A blown head gasket will blow white smoke when you let off the throttle.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
zackattk is infamous around these parts
I pulled th distributor cap cap and the rotor was cracked... It now runs pretty good with the new stuff... Turbo has an oil seal leak and the steering has some play and the rear seems a little bouncy but otherwise I love it