Finally wrapping up my 951 project...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Flitzr951 is infamous around these parts
Finally wrapping up my 951 project...

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I thought I'd share my project. It's still not done (although finally in the closing stages) so I may need some advice in the near future and i thought it would be good to get my situation out there now. I have a 1986 944T, I bought it almost 3 years ago and I've made the journey from boost controller and bypass valve all the way up to now. Here's a list of what I'll be running once it's finished:

- Garrett Super 75 ball bearing turbo/ 8cm2
- Lindsey stage 1 racing head/high velocity exhaust
- #274 grindshaft racing cam
- Spec stage 3 hybrid clutch
- 55lb siemens injectors
- Bosch high volume fuel pump
- adjustable FPR
- Lindsey custom chips
- Lindsey wastegate
- Lindsey manual boost controller
- Lindsey hard pipes
- Lindsay stage 2 MAF
- Innovate o2 system
- Lindsey stage 3 intercooler
- 3" race exhaust
- Crossdrilled crankshaft
- Raceware headstuds/rod bolts

I also have a fiberglass hood and racing bumper. I'll be going to a lexan hatch as soon as I can find a decent setup with a 968 wing. I have crossdrilled rotors w/ adjustable koni yellows all the way around. Cosmetically I have 996 twist wheels (17x9, 17x7) red calipers and a momo race wheel.
And the ace up my sleeve is my custom 2.7L (all bore) block. I just had the Darton MID wetsleeves installed (see pics) and bored out to 104mm each to go with a set of custom pistons from Diamond racing. I'm hoping to do 400rhwp on ~15lbs. Anyways, I thought I'd share and I'm open to any input or advice from those of you who have already gone this route. Thanks,

-Paul

Old 08-17-2006, 03:26 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Nice work.
With all of that power, I would do some upgrades to the brakes like Big Reds or at least 944TS/928S4 brakes with some nice pads and slotted rotors.
I would also get rid of the rear torsion bar and do some coilovers all around (I used Leda's on my project and they rocked). Bushings all around etc etc etc. Another weak point in these cars are the A-arms which I replaced with the Billet Charlie arms. Lindsay has some sweet stuff for these cars. I like what you have done to the engine so far. That thing must fly!
Welcome to 6speed.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Well I intend to go to the big red brake setup once the stock ones go bad. the problem is that I'm 22 and about to get married...so... I wanted to make sure I got all the expensive stuff out of the way beforehand because obviously I won't have the disposable cash after the big day. I forgot to mention that I will be going to the M030 setup with new bushings etc as well as the brake proportioning valve so I'm 60/40. The a-arms are in the same boat as the brakes (and exhaust, I want 4")

Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Yes, I forgot about the 928 brake proportioning valve. I would go away from the MO30 suspension set up as you will probably want a more tuneable suspension. Contact Karl from Racers Edge for any suspension stuff, he helped me hook up my car and knows his stuff well.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:46 PM
well I'll definately make note of that as far as suspension goes, I haven't ordered the M030 setup yet so I'll look into it more

Old 08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Only 5SPEED
MPD47 is infamous around these partsMPD47 is infamous around these parts
Did you get the sleeves from Chris White?

Nice project!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:36 AM
To be honest I don't remember who I talked to at Darton. I spoke with them to make sure they had the slugs in stock and then I shipped my block to Custom Design Performance (CDP) in CT (they have a 4-cyl package - $1,399) and they did the ordering and installation. If anyone is dealing with damaged cylinder walls, this is the way to go. I recommend CDP highly, they guy who did my work was "Ken" and he as well as the rest of the guys over there are fantastic. It's a much more practical and bulletproof alternative to recoating the cylinder walls.

- By the way, I was looking at your car yesterday, that's an awesome setup you have. It also reminded me that I have a vented nose panel (standard, not the stage 5) as well as the MAF vent for the light cover. Although I don't think I'll be using it (unless it's for decoration) because I'm installing ducts into that fiberglass race bumper I have.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
ratherton is infamous around these parts
Did Diamond Racing already have the piston specifications for this application? If not could you post them? Did you look into other options such as Arias, Wiseco, J&E, Ross and why did you go with Diamond?

Thank You,

Old 09-02-2006, 06:13 PM
951porsche is infamous around these parts
Looks interesting, Nice piston....

Pete

Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Interesting title to the thread: "Finally wrapping up my 951 Project."

If so, then why in the world did you join 6speed? You do realize that this site is co-underwritten by Satan and the International Council of Divorce Attorneys, don't you? And that it is our job to make sure no project is ever finished . . .

Old 09-03-2006, 12:24 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Agree with Luis. Contact Karl, former neihbor of mine, and I've tracked a 944 with his suspension set-up. The car is neutral, you could be very fast in your car with his setup. BTW, Karl is ruuning World Speed Challenge this year in a 3 series BMW.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by DHinkle
Agree with Luis. Contact Karl, former neihbor of mine, and I've tracked a 944 with his suspension set-up. The car is neutral, you could be very fast in your car with his setup. BTW, Karl is ruuning World Speed Challenge this year in a 3 series BMW.
Yep, I saw his at Sebring in an S2, then Saw him at the St.Pete Grand Prix with the BMW. Good guy.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by ratherton
Did Diamond Racing already have the piston specifications for this application? If not could you post them? Did you look into other options such as Arias, Wiseco, J&E, Ross and why did you go with Diamond?

Thank You,
Diamond already had the specs for the 951. I went with them because the guy I ordered my bumper through also worked through Diamond so he was able to cut me a good deal as a "package". He claimed that he's had great success with their pistons in both n/a's and turbos. The pistons were suprizingly light, so I'm anxious to get everything together and running.

For now I have to make do with the suspension I have, I'll keep him in mind when the time comes. Thanks for all the input, I'll keep you updated as things progress.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
ratherton is infamous around these parts
Flizr951

Could you give us an update on the project. I noticed on the first photo of the machine work they are drilling the head stud holes. I assume this is for larger studs and more clamping force for the big bore. I am curious what size studs they use? Did you opt for this modification? If so, could you share the cost of the studs, hardware and machine work for this modification.

Richard

Old 10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Well "finally wrapping up my 951" was a bit premature, but I can say now that I'm only weeks away from driving. The drilling of that head stud hole was due to the need to helicoil it. At some point in time, someone helicoiled one of the threads on the front of the block. When the pilot hole was drilled they drilled into the head stud (leaving a bur on the stud). So when the shop removed the head studs the bur on that one stud stripped out the threads on its way out. So they helicoiled that one hole. I did change head studs though, I went with the Raceware set and it was in the $250-$300 range. As for the whole project, she just got a nice new coat of black paint and the clearances for my internals just got finished. So I'll be starting to reassemble this weekend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally wrapping up my 951 project...