some wrong facts-but gorgeous car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
canada964 is infamous around these parts
some wrong facts-but gorgeous car

new listing for an America Roadster (NO affiliation)
http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/81767/index.html?no_cache=1

the dealers facts not entirely correct....the global production was in fact around 1000, of which 250 were imported by Porsche N.Amer.

the color scheme (raspberry red over matching leather) was a special factory order....and there are (were) at least 4 identified as coming into N.Amer.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-17-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM
cobalt94T is infamous around these parts
[quote=canada964;2872458]new listing for an America Roadster (NO affiliation)
http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/81767/index.html?no_cache=1

the dealers facts not entirely correct....the global production was in fact around 1000, of which 250 were imported by Porsche N.Amer.

the color scheme (raspberry red over matching leather) was a special factory order....and there are (were) at least 4 identified as coming into N.Amer.

Actually No.

There were only 250 "America Roadsters" made. These were a US production run only car. There were no ROW America Roadsters.

You might be confusing this model with the US 1994 widebody C4. These were limited to US in 1994 but there were 911 made for the ROW market in 1993 known also as the Jubilee edition.

yes it is a nice car a little to raspberry for my tastes but still nice.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-17-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
canada964 is infamous around these parts
[quote=cobalt94T;2877949]
Originally Posted by canada964
new listing for an America Roadster (NO affiliation)
http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car...tml?no_cache=1

Actually No.

There were only 250 "America Roadsters" made. These were a US production run only car. There were no ROW America Roadsters.

You might be confusing this model with the US 1994 widebody C4. These were limited to US in 1994 but there were 911 made for the ROW market in 1993 known also as the Jubilee edition.

yes it is a nice car a little to raspberry for my tastes but still nice.
the global production run was actually 1183 (source wtl registry - german registry)...of which 250 were imported into n.amer. under an edition known as america roadster.
the ROW (rest of world) edition of the identical car were branded WTL cab (werksturbolook) or widebody cab.
so while you are technically correct, america roadster is unique from its wtl brothers only by the name on its backside.........there are numerous sources to so confirm america roadster was part of a global production run....perhaps most common is adrian streather's definitive guide to 964 ownership.
in ROW they were branded carrera 2 or left without a name on the rear deck.

Last edited by canada964; 06-17-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spell
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 AM
cobalt94T is infamous around these parts
[quote=canada964;2878393]
Originally Posted by cobalt94T

the global production run was actually 1183 (source wtl registry - german registry)...of which 250 were imported into n.amer. under an edition known as america roadster.
the ROW (rest of world) edition of the identical car were branded WTL cab (werksturbolook) or widebody cab.
so while you are technically correct, america roadster is unique from its wtl brothers only by the name on its backside.........there are numerous sources to so confirm america roadster was part of a global production run....perhaps most common is adrian streather's definitive guide to 964 ownership.
in ROW they were branded carrera 2 or left without a name on the rear deck.

True there were ROW TLCabs made I was under the assumption it was closer to 750 but I don't follow ROW market as closely, but they do not have the vin number or name of the US import so in fact there were only 250 of these made for the US market.

It might be a moot point but in the US we differentiate models based on US production numbers since it is difficult at best to import ROW models without it being an extensive and expensive process. More of these cars are leaving the US to find ROW homes.

So if you are marketing a car in the US you market the car based on what was imported, in this case 250. That would be like me saying there were 937 1994 turbos made when I go to sell my 3.6T. Why would I include the ROW info? The fact is there were only 466 manufactured to US spec. the first 60 were possible test mules which we are trying to determine there were also 39 Turbo S flachbaus and 17 Turbo S package cars. Nobody knows how many Porsche sold to race teams in the US whether they were some of the test mules or came from production cars. We do know the last vin number is 466 and that an undetermined number were sold to Canada, Mexico and other countries. So at a minimum we can fairly confidently say that there were as few as 350 stock 1994 Turbo 3.6's sold in the US. I know of 20 sold overseas in the past 2 years another 40 or so that have been totaled and another 20 with salvage titles. So in actuality there are very few of these cars to buy in the US and if I were marketing my car to sell I would impress upon buyers these fatcs. It is up to them to decide their value.

Oh and as far as the wtl registry goes I take his info with a grain of salt. On numerous occasions he has insisted that there were versions of these cars made in years as late as 1994 for US consumption when we have more documentation proving him wrong Yet he insists he has objective evidence proving otherwise but refuses to share it. Not saying it isn't a good reference but I would not call his numbers Gospel.