NEW 991tt and ttS laps Nurburgring under 7:30

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The GT-R (and now Track Pack) has the production car records (of those tested) at Streets of Willow AND beat the time of a '10 Ducati 1199R which is of historical significance.

However, at a faster track like Laguna, the TA Viper did a 1:33 and superbikes s/b around 1:29s. The GT-R Track Pack probably won't beat the Vipers, Vettes and McLaren lap times.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu
Theoretical best lap
thank you!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
... I thought the GTR was on racing slicks and thus "cheating"....
... And Obama wasn't born in the US.

People who were beat will say a lot, and stick by it until the end. Whether or not you agree, and validate its relevancy, is up to you.

The tires that the GT-R runs are up on display (there was a thread about just the tires, in fact).

Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 AM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light
If the tts had semi slicks we may be looking at 7.20. Potentially faster around the ring than the gt3.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
... And Obama wasn't born in the US.

People who were beat will say a lot, and stick by it until the end. Whether or not you agree, and validate its relevancy, is up to you.

The tires that the GT-R runs are up on display (there was a thread about just the tires, in fact).
ummm he wasn't according to many people, I didnt know there was evidence it was on street tires, its a cool car too

Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
actually I'm more concerned that Porsche says the new GT3 can do it in 7:25, wheras the S with nearly 100 more HP is a second slower?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Can someone with track experience clarify some things for me. I believe these tracks times are great for board discussions, magazines, etc...when you actually get to the track with your ride how often are you consistently beat by those cars listed on top of the list? Does it more often than not come down to driver's experience? I get the advantage one would have by the reported performance deltas but would like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PSTT07
Can someone with track experience clarify some things for me. I believe these tracks times are great for board discussions, magazines, etc...when you actually get to the track with your ride how often are you consistently beat by those cars listed on top of the list? Does it more often than not come down to driver's experience? I get the advantage one would have by the reported performance deltas but would like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks
Good question, and these are done in new cars, by professional drivers so it's a measure of potential, capability and engineering excellence. Lots of variance on the track when there are turns and braking points.

It's in a straight line where the numbers are a more common baseline when it's car vs. car.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

Thanks
I've only been passed by two GT-R's - one was by choice, so I could learn a new line through a certain corner, the other was because he was one better tires (I was running all-seasons, to see how well they worked on track).

When I was in the Miata, I felt like a moving chicane for the 'Vette's, 911's and GT-R's. But there is always that guy riding around in a Ferrari or other <insert nice car here>, with his pride getting in the way of a safe pass...

Basically - it does come down to the driver, but the some newer cars are making this less of a factor. My wife, for example, laps about 10-15 seconds slower per lap than me in the same car (depending on track). I've lapped faster in the Miata than she does in the GT-R. Admittedly, she says she drives with the fear of going off-track and ruining the car a little, so she says she is a little conservative (I have video of her running off-track exiting Oak Tree at 70MPH, with two tires off that would suggest otherwise).

Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
ummm he wasn't according to many people, I didnt know there was evidence it was on street tires, its a cool car too
I was just using it at as a basis of comparison. People for a given subject dismiss it, people against it dispute until the end...

The difference was - Nissan presented the birth certificate for the public to see, to quash the rumors.

Of course, when I go to the drag strip, and request only people with street tires line up with me, I get told,"Those are practically slicks."

Didn't meant to push your political button. Perhaps my example was poor.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
At the WAJ media days, I kept a C63 Black Series in my sight while hustling a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 around MRLS. Again, not representative.

Or another time, an SLS freight trained me when I was drivng a CTS-V coupe coming out of turn 11 and wasn't familiar with the car.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I was just using it at as a basis of comparison. People for a given subject dismiss it, people against it dispute until the end...

The difference was - Nissan presented the birth certificate for the public to see, to quash the rumors.

Of course, when I go to the drag strip, and request only people with street tires line up with me, I get told,"Those are practically slicks."

Didn't meant to push your political button. Perhaps my example was poor.
hahah no problem all is cool, thanks for the information!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of

Thanks
Based on my experience (about 75 track days), the short answer is yes, when you start talking about cars this advanced, driver's experience is the biggest factor, not an extra 50 horses.

Certainly anyone with at least a little experience is going to be fast in a GTR or 991S, because the driver's aids and horsepower is there in abundance. I would venture also to say that 90% of amateur trackday drivers would be faster in those cars than the hardcore "Ring-leaders" like the Ariel Atom and Radical... because those cars take more experience and skill to drive closer to their limit.

Also, tires and brakes make a HUGE difference at the 'Ring and a track day, where you are driving for 30 minutes (or longer) at a time (not 7:30 by the way). I would say that in the hands of the same driver, a 997.2C2S with R-comps and Pagids (easy mods to do in your garage before a track day) is roughly as fast as a 997.2GT3 in street tires and stock brakes. Likewise, you can be sure that a 991S in R-comps and Ceramics/Pagids would lap the ring sub 7:30. (I know the official time is on Ceramics but it is not on R-comps which I have to think is worth a minimum of 10 seconds on a track that long).

So in my mind, it's kind of silly to give these 'Ring numbers too much credit when they can be bettered with a few simple mods.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I agree its purely about bragging rights, not reality. The reason Ring times are important is it allows you to compare 2 cars and what they are capable of, not you. The track is so difficult you really need a well rounded machine to do well there or a totally insane barely legal track weapon.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Damn GT-Rs, lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NEW 991tt and ttS laps Nurburgring under 7:30