Does the new 991 Turbo need to have the rear decklid with Spoiler on in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Does the new 991 Turbo need to have the rear decklid with Spoiler on in?

Working on another 911 Turbo Build. I'm wanting to get-rid of the rear lid that makes the Turbo a Turbo. The Rising and Lowering of the Spoiler, Rear-Wing what have you. Its not that I don't like it; it's just everyone has one.

Does the Turbo Absolutely need the Rear Deck Lid for Engine Requirements? Turbos, piping and tubing needed for one of "The Worlds" best daily driving cars?

To me when you look at the rear end of the 991, without the rear spoilers it looks like a plain Jane rear deck-lid.

What my motive is to get the Ducktail you can get with the Fascia.

Does anyone think I'm Ludicrous, which is silly because its just a straightforward switchroo with Parts.

On another note I was thinking on PTTS the car from a color the 993 model had, Arena Red. Yet Ruby Red is such a close Facsimile I figured to just go that route, tis close enough.

Also I already asked the Question over at Rennlist. Does anyone have suggestions replicating the 993 Turbo Wheel 3 piece. I was looking at keeping the spokes just a little thinner and Updated Looking. So if anyone would like to Photo Shop some older 993" Turbo wheels to a 20" diameter with thinner Spokes I would appreciate it. And who know, your design just maybe the one that is chosen. Thank you guys, I rarely come over to these parts but you do have a better 991 Turbo Forum.

Bueno Suerte.

Tim G

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
It sure would be possible, but I think you're in for a pretty difficult task. It means you want to get rid of the active aerodynamics and I don't think that is going to improve the handling of the car. The car is designed to be that way. The rear spoiler, like the vents, is also a signature design element that makes a Turbo a Turbo IMO.
Don't know if you seen this video, where the active aerodynamics are explained:

If you want a ducktail and a wider body, just get a C4S, with powerkit and the Sport Design package. Saves you a lot of money, which you can spend on custom made wheels

BTW... Ruby red isn't available. There are two colors red. Guards red and Amarant red metallic, which is this color:

Last edited by Suzy991; 09-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Anything can be done bodywise with money no object, I'm sure if you wait a bit after release there will be a plethora of body kits available. If you're going for the ducktail, I agree w/ Suzy, get the C4S w/ powerkit and ducktail.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
I was mulling over doing the ducktail with front Fascia since you have to order them together from the 50th Anniversary Edistion since the American Version comes with the Power Kit to Begin with.

I'm aware and seen all the research and technologies that go into making the new Turbo what it is today. But for being my Dailies Driver and rarely hit 85mph I don't see that great of a detrement of going with the "Duck Sauce"!

When I test drove the latest 991 C4S at this years Pebble Beach Zentrum I was hitting 100mph rather silly quickly. Which, again had me mulling, an auditor warning tied into the car tuT would alert me how fast I'm driving the car Since its easier for me to hear how fast I'm going vs looking at a Speedily.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Looking at a Speedo not a Speedily, whatever planet that is from.

If it were up to me I would plug up the side fender air-filter Inductions. I know they are there because that's about the absolute best place to put them. I just enjoy the look of the 993 Turbo and Turbo S especially. As far as I, and many other are concerned is the absolute Superlative of 911 design. Well and it being that last of the air cooled Lumps.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
You don't like the spoiler or the side air vents and don't want to go fast. Why are you buying a Turbo? That is an obscene amount of money to spend on something you don't like.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I was mulling over doing the ducktail with front Fascia since you have to order them together from the 50th Anniversary Edistion since the American Version comes with the Power Kit to Begin with.

I'm aware and seen all the research and technologies that go into making the new Turbo what it is today. But for being my Dailies Driver and rarely hit 85mph I don't see that great of a detrement of going with the "Duck Sauce"!

When I test drove the latest 991 C4S at this years Pebble Beach Zentrum I was hitting 100mph rather silly quickly. Which, again had me mulling, an auditor warning tied into the car tuT would alert me how fast I'm driving the car Since its easier for me to hear how fast I'm going vs looking at a Speedily.
First of all... The 911-50 or the 50th anniversary edition as it is called, doesn't have a ducktail and is not even available with ducktail. It would even be stupid IMO to give that car a ducktail, since it comes with a completely different rear deck with chrome wire.

Second... if you rarely hit 85mph, why the hell a Turbo??? Buy a Carrera 2 or 4 with ducktail. You don't even need the S and definitely not a powerkit. You could actually buy yourself a Carrera 4 with all the options you want and with it a Boxster S. That way you would have a coupe and a roadster for the same amount of money...

Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 PM
We're all different freaks. And I would put a ducktail on a 50th, doesn't mean anyone is stupid. Like some butthole who still wears Dakar and not Givenchy.

I'm a Teepee I'm a WigWom, I'm a teepee I'm a wigwam. No I'm just too tense; two tents.

And again I'm not the butthole driving too damn fast all the frigen time. 85 is plenty fast for Southern California driving when conditions are right. You could go on forever. Not like I won't go out for ****s and giggles a few times a year with the slower DE groups.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 09-16-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 AM
We're all different freaks. And I would put a ducktail on a 50th, doesn't mean anyone is stupid. Like some butthole who still wears Dakar and not Givenchy.

I'm a Teepee I'm a WigWom, I'm a teepee I'm a wigwam. No I'm just too tense; two tents.

And again I'm not the butthole driving too damn fast all the frigen time. 85 is plenty fast for Southern California driving when conditions are right. You could go on forever. Not like I won't go out for ****s and giggles a few times a year with the slower DE groups.
But why do you want a Turbo? Isn't a C2S or C4S good enough?

BTW... Do you always drink so much??

Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Ya know its that nostalgia thing. I fell in love with the Arena Red 993 Turbo right out of high school. I worked at a Starbucks in Belmont Shore and he would give me rides around The 405 and up to 605 and back to the Starbucks. He was a Litigation Lawyer. So thats what sealed the deal.

When I test drove the C4S at this Zentrum and I thought what the hell do I need a Turbo for? Its like just that Tool Man Taylor "Monkee Man" - "MOORE POWER". But guess what, I really don't need all that extra power. Maybe If I didn't live around all the damn traffic where I lived I would go for the turbo. I tell ya my mind is changing. Hell 20 years ago the 993 Turbo was squirting out 400 BHP. NOW the Naturally Aspirated flat water-cooled motors are hitting 400 BHP with direct injection and other technology tricks.

If I want to make the Interior the way I want it, with the leather and some custom crap; like adding the same color leather to the A, B and C post and covering up as much of the roof/ceiling with the leather color I want. Which will be Luxor Beige or that one Red Color. I Was wanting deviated stitching, but I don't like the cost.

I mean really how much they charge for the leather work on the AC flaps is silly!

I really hate this. You have the opportunity to finally purchase a Bespoke Automobile. Do I spend about $165K on a non Turbo or do I go back and buy a used Turbo for the same amount that was someone else's Bespoke Dream, A PCNA preconfigured car or some car that some dip$h!7 Sales Manager Configures depending on the market would bare. As in not over configuring a car to the point where no one will buy it. The guy who configured it put on Steering wheel heating and Seat heating, not even seat Ventilation. Can you believe that? Even if you want Seat Ventilation they mark in Seat heating too. Their 50th Anniversary came in at MSRP $141,695. My config with a lot more leather bits came in at $161,695. $20K more than their's and even at My Build they did not want to budge from MSRP. I have a great dialogue going on with Porsche DTLA. Each day someone else from that dealership said 'just ask me, the previous person has the day off'. With that much care I sent PCNA a note saying how good of a job they were doing. I know that Porsche DTLA is getting in 4 50ths. But I haven't talked to them in several days for all I know they could be spoken for.

The reason for getting the 3 piece modernized 993 20" Turbo wheels was for Nostalgia. I still might do that even if I don't go the Turbo route. There are so many options it makes me sick. Porsche tries to satisfy too many markets. And they do a damn good job too. Their Profit Margin in the industry is the highest you will find.

Back in the late 90s a lot of Porsche purist called foul when Porsche said they were going the route of the SUV. Well guess what? That car saved their asses and showed them the light way through Chapter 11.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Hmm. Is this thread a joke?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Hmm, you capable of more than one liner quips?

If you don't have anything really too add don't post.

Oh wait I forgot, we're at 6 Speed alas.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Hmm, you capable of more than one liner quips?

If you don't have anything really too add don't post.

Oh wait I forgot, we're at 6 Speed alas.
Given the ridiculous nature of your op question, and the purposeful nature behind the 991tt's clever aerodynamics, I thought I was being kind for not elaborating my true thoughts here. What could one possibly add to the obvious? The Porsche turbo, and dare i say any Porsche for that matter is clearly not for you given your posts. And, if you are suggesting that at 6 any rubbish goes then your thread/ question definitely serves as evidence of that. Removing the airodynamics for the sake of self indulgent aesthetics conflicts with the entire principle behind the car.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Given the ridiculous nature of your op question, and the purposeful nature behind the 991tt's clever aerodynamics, I thought I was being kind for not elaborating my true thoughts here. What could one possibly add to the obvious? The Porsche turbo, and dare i say any Porsche for that matter is clearly not for you given your posts. And, if you are suggesting that at 6 any rubbish goes then your thread/ question definitely serves as evidence of that. Removing the airodynamics for the sake of self indulgent aesthetics conflicts with the entire principle behind the car.
+1
No worth to say anything....

Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to give my$.02 here...OP, I'm sure a Ducktail could be massaged into place atop a 991TT. MOST people will think you're crazy for doing it because of the active aero. But honestly, I think people read too much into it. Yes if you're burning up the 'ring routinely, sure you may upset the aero of the car. But realistically, VERY few people actually take these cars to the limits in which aero becomes a necessary concern. I took my old '72 with a Ducktail up to 145mph, it was fine. Also, the 991 can do WELL above 170 without the Turbo tail. You like most here in CA, will rarely see 100mph. So I say, if you have the disposable money and really like the idea of going with a Ducktailed 991TT, then go for it! I think it'll look great! I also think that if you later decide you don't like it, then no big deal, swap back the original active aero tail. The only problem I see you may encounter would be a CEL light and code being thrown. But that could probably be circumvented with the fuse being pulled out. Good luck on your decision and if you do add the Duckie to a TT, POST PICS!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the new 991 Turbo need to have the rear decklid with Spoiler on in?