Turbo S or McLaren?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
This is what a used 12C will get you in comparison to a 911. (I have now owned 3, a 996TT, 997TT, and a 997GT2...the TTs were stock then modified over time.)

Good:

Sublime daily driver - very Toyota Camry like ride on pothole ridden streets with the ability to split a razor blade into two when you want it to.

Reasonable trunk space, enough to carry 5 fully filled grocery bags, or two travel bags for you, and a companion.

Excellent exhaust tone for a turbocharged car - will sound better than any aftermarket 911 turbo exhaust.

Incredible acceleration - quarter mile trap speeds in the 135 mph range.

Ingenius carbon fiber tub design and F1 technology in a user friendly package.

In general, good customer support - software updates, warranty coverage

The Bad:

Cost of ownership - very little DIY information to do self service. Yearly service costs from $700-3000 for everything from replacing the internal sound generator to replacing the hydraulic fluid in the suspension.

Rattles and creeks - many. Enough said.

Fit and finish - body panels not aligned perfectly, painting issues.

2011-2012 IRIS Nav/iPod/Stereo system is buggy - former company designing the system has closed - McLaren has a new system produced by Parrot, but an upgrade to the car will run $3500+.

The Unknown:

Long term reliability from a British motorsports company that has never produced a mass production vehicle. A 2012 will have about 1-1.5 years left on warranty, although rumors are that McLaren will offer an extension at a price in the future.)

FYI, the fellas at Newport's service department have a pretty good reputation from those who have posted online.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Another informative post bbywu. "The good" is good.
"The bad"... Cost of ownership is a given. Rattles and creaks are not cool and I didn't consider that as well as a buggy stereo system.
"The unknown" I can deal with although their F1 team is not doing too well this year, I think they have proven their ability to build a car that will hold up as compared to any other super car.
Thanks very much for you insights as they are very helpful!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thanks.

Here are a few other thoughts.

Intangibles:

There is absolutely no way to objectively quantify the intangibles. These are pure subjective impressions that are created by comparing my experience with the 12C versus previous 911s. And I have not been in a 991TTS, although the interior is basically a 991 (which I have rented over a few weeks.)

The interior leather trim and build quality is on par with Porsche. If not for the design style, you would not be able to distinguish the leather trim from a 911 to a 12C. The seats are very comfortable, and are available with heat and power (although at a weight penalty.) The carbon fiber quality trim is top notch, as is the LCD screen for the driver information. Push button start and RFID keyless entry are standard - I don't care what traditionalists say about the 911 - we're in the 21st century...physical metal interface keys are for nostalgia only.

Driver view - The front windshield bubble gives excellent visibility, but there is a significant blind spot on the sides - the mirrors are easily positioned to over come this. Rear window view is obscured with a medium rear glass panel to the engine bay, and is completely obscured when the air brake deploys.

Driving dynamics are on par with most mid engined sports cars - very balanced, very very different from my 911s, requires less driver thought through the turn (although it becomes second nature after driving a rear engined car for years.)

Brake pedal feel is very good - stiffer than the PCCBs, but excellent modulation. I have steel rotors and experience no fade either on the street or track, even after multiple sessions.

Transmission - I have not had the opportunity to drive a 991 GT3 or the 991 turbos. But in comparison to the standard 991s, the transmission is instantaneous - with PreCog, it the transmission will engaged and in gear before the paddle shift returns to its neutral position. Automatic is on par with 991 PDK's automatic mode, although on occasion, it does a few silly things to maintain a low RPM rate to maximize fuel efficiency (which came in at 29mpg on the freeway.)

Launch control - violent. Only fair comparison is to a tuned GT-R or a 997TTS. Does an amazing job to limit wheel spin for a RWD car, but some spin does get through (not so much so on Toyos.)

Ground clearance is easily better than my 997GT2 - although if you scrape the front on the 12C, it is the bumper not a plastic trim.

Hope all that helps.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
Interesting discussion, and it highlights what could become a bit of an issue for this car...price. Porsche has pushed the price point so high that real supercars with very different character and 'panache' come into the picture, as is depicted here. I guess we will see how it plays out in the marketplace. I've been in a 12c but never a tt, and all I can tell you is that the 12c is the most amazing car I've ever ridden in. The choice is a high quality problem, that's for sure.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:50 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I would probably do the MP4. I am seriously debating whether to trade in my GT2 for one. There is no other car other than a CGT that I have considered this for. For me it would be my weekend and rare track day fun car. Don't need all the comfort and usability of the TTS.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Agreed zzz and cohen, thanks for awesome input. bbywu one thing that I'm curious about: the rattles and creaks. Can you elaborate? Thx

Old 10-10-2013, 03:07 PM
There are a few rattles from the under tray - initially, re-torquing the panel bolts improved the rattle, but it's back. Sounds like a loose heat shield.

Under the main center console, there is an annoying rattle every time I run over a bump. Is not there at start up, only after driving a few miles.

LFSC is still working on hunting it down, but I asked for my car back and will have them work on it during the winter months.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Built to Blast
I actually had the same problem with Maserati and there was a service bulletin that covered it as it was a set of washers that needed replacing after taking out the dashboard. Drove me crazy for sure.

Thanks for the input bby. I'm waiting for Newport Porsche to call me back to see if there's an allotment in Jan, but really leaning toward the McLaren.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:08 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
991TTS for my $

Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedsterr
(With the McLaren) You are getting a 300k car for 190k. But with the Porsche u r getting a 190k for 190k
This

Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu
There are a few rattles from the under tray - initially, re-torquing the panel bolts improved the rattle, but it's back. Sounds like a loose heat shield. Under the main center console, there is an annoying rattle every time I run over a bump. Is not there at start up, only after driving a few miles. LFSC is still working on hunting it down, but I asked for my car back and will have them work on it during the winter months.
I thankfully dont have this issue in my car, comparing it with my TT, the rattles are negligible. Only rattles i get are from the plastic bits around the instrument cluster and cruise control lever when going over worn out roads (i.e. Caused by external vibrations). Not so much of an issue and nowhere near the noises I used to hear in the 997TT cabin (the 991, although had more upmarket fit and finish, still suffers from some).

Old 10-10-2013, 07:41 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
McLaren hands down. Mine is a late production 12 verging on a 13. Build quality is excellent so is panel fit, gap, alignment. Also no squeaks or rattles. Ceramic brakes are phenomenal.

Car is a work of art and worth every penny IMO.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Hturbo is infamous around these partsHturbo is infamous around these parts
MP4-12c

Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GFORCED
I actually had the same problem with Maserati and there was a service bulletin that covered it as it was a set of washers that needed replacing after taking out the dashboard. Drove me crazy for sure.

Thanks for the input bby. I'm waiting for Newport Porsche to call me back to see if there's an allotment in Jan, but really leaning toward the McLaren.
If you do go with a 991TT, you might want to talk with a few different dealers in the area. I have heard from many that the Newport store has the worst service.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GFORCED
I was at Newport Auto Center asking for an allotment for a turbo S build last week and found out I can't order until January as they are all taken. I've been struggling with buying a 2012 McLaren as they are about the same price and most have less than 2,500 miles on them that are for sale.

What are your thoughts on comparing the 2 and which would you prefer? The McLaren dealership here says most of their buyers are Porsche guys; not many Ferrari guys like the McLaren.

Thanks for your responses.
1) Is it a daily driver or weekend car ?

2) Keep in mind you are also comparing a new custom build to a used car . Even with low miles someone else did drive it .That leaves a few unknowns about a very expensive vehicle .

I like the Mclaren (many of the reasons stated on this thread) but it's a matter of how suitable the choice will meet your specific driving needs.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-11-2013 at 01:01 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S or McLaren?