Turbo S or McLaren?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Milanno
I assume that my post is affected by this statement too Practicality, service costs and usability during all year seasons are not main goals for $200k cars. Most people who can afford cars that expensive own more cars in their garage (most often wife`s SUV, daily driver & sports car) and every car have its own purpose.

So, imagine yourself as a guy who is in market for 991 Turbo S, 12c & R8. When you open your garage on weekends what would you like to have in:

1. Audi Q5, BMW 5, Porsche Turbo S
2. Audi Q5, BMW 5, McLaren MP4-12C
3. Audi Q5, BMW 5, Audi R8
Given the three choices, I'd do choice 1 with the Turbo. I personally prefer the more stealthy Turbo over the other two. Not a big "look at me" type, and the other two would get a whole lot of attention.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Given the three choices, I'd do choice 1 with the Turbo. I personally prefer the more stealthy Turbo over the other two. Not a big "look at me" type, and the other two would get a whole lot of attention.
While I agree with you, this can be read a completely opposite way:

The styling of the 911 just blends in with the rest of the cars being offered at a MUCH lesser price point (or older cars that don't cost much at all). It just doesn't stick out as a different car. Just your average, run-of-the-mill, 911.

*edit: This line of thinking you mentioned may seem offensive to those who think the 911 Turbo sticks out, and garners attention.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 11-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all

1. Audi Q5, BMW 5, Porsche Turbo S
2. Audi Q5, BMW 5, McLaren MP4-12C
3. Audi Q5, BMW 5, Audi R8
4. X5 50i M-sport, 335i coupe (JB4 tuned), Porche Turbo, Ducati Streetfighter S

OK, I'm biased, but that is the garage at the primary residence and love going out there

Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
While I agree with you, this can be read a completely opposite way:

The styling of the 911 just blends in with the rest of the cars being offered at a MUCH lesser price point (or older cars that don't cost much at all). It just doesn't stick out as a different car. Just your average, run-of-the-mill, 911.

*edit: This line of thinking you mentioned may seem offensive to those who think the 911 Turbo sticks out, and garners attention.
Quite frankly, anyone that really knows the Porsche Marque or the 911 line knows what a 911 Turbo is. Anyone whose knowledge or awareness level goes no deeper than thinking the Turbo is just another 911 does not have a Porsche opinion that matters to me.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Milanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of light
^ 991TurboS Very nice thoughts, but you are in minority when it comes to $200k buyers. Most of them search something exclusive, rare, different in big crowd of cars on streets. Its not about getting to 60 in 2.9 secs (GTR does that pretty good).

Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
^ 991TurboS Very nice thoughts, but you are in minority when it comes to $200k buyers. Most of them search something exclusive, rare, different in big crowd of cars on streets. Its not about getting to 60 in 2.9 secs (GTR does that pretty good).
Oh well, that is a minority I am glad to be a part of. Whatever the Marque, if you got the scratch, then buy what you like.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Milanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of lightMilanno is a glorious beacon of light
I am glad that you are glad But with "minority" I wanted to point that wider audience probably have different goals with $200k cars than you. Cars shouldn't serve as status symbols, but unfortunately if that is not the case its pretty sure that Porsche and many other super-brands wouldn't exist nowadays LOL

Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I am glad that you are glad But with "minority" I wanted to point that wider audience probably have different goals with $200k cars than you. Cars shouldn't serve as status symbols, but unfortunately if that is not the case its pretty sure that Porsche and many other super-brands wouldn't exist nowadays LOL
Milanno, what is your point? You have an opinion and so do I. Opinions are not right or wrong, they just "are." I am trying to be as neutral in this as possible, but you seem to want to beat the horse to death here.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 11-07-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
No hard feeling over here

I am just discussing possible choices & market movements, not trying to argue. Sorry if you got that impression.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:58 PM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light
Actually I'm in the minority too..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by TTS
Actually I'm in the minority too..
You and I are the "Stealthy Minority."

Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
I'm also in that minority... Although I'm still not sure if my car will be a Turbo S yet, but it certainly will be a 991

However.... I do have to admit that I now understand a little bit more why the McLaren is such an exotic here in the U.S.
I'm on holiday in the the U.S. of A at the moment (enjoying a rental 911 C2S cab i.a.) and in contrast with Switzerland, I don't see much McLarens over here, so that's probably why people see the car more as an exotic than a 911 Turbo.
For me personally, the design doesn't appeal to me and I don't like the interior. I do however like the exhaust sound (for a turbocharged car), but the car in general just doesn't do it for me, for some reason.

But let's be honest, in the end, one can't really go wrong with either of these cars.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 11-07-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Quite frankly, anyone that really knows the Porsche Marque or the 911 line knows what a 911 Turbo is. Anyone whose knowledge or awareness level goes no deeper than thinking the Turbo is just another 911 does not have a Porsche opinion that matters to me.
There are 911 OWNERS (not just people who know the marque), and members HERE on 6speed (enthusiasts on some level), who don't even know the differences on THEIR OWN CARS!!!!

So that minority is a VERY small minority.

I'm sure you could find many threads where people don't know the differences between a C2 and C4, or C4 and Turbo, or GT3 and C2, or C2 or C2s, or C2 and GT2RS. Happens pretty often - and that's just on a Porsche heavy forum.

When you step outside these walls, those chances increase exponentially.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
There are 911 OWNERS (not just people who know the marque), and members HERE on 6speed (enthusiasts on some level), who don't even know the differences on THEIR OWN CARS!!!!

I'm sure you could find many threads where people don't know the differences between a C2 and C4, or C4 and Turbo, or GT3 and C2, or C2 or C2s, or C2 and GT2RS. Happens pretty often - and that's just on a Porsche heavy forum.

One of the big reasons I got a turbo. Most people cant tell it apart form a cayman. A supercar that blends in (as much as a porche can). I don't want want people following me around and taking photos like they do with my brother's R8.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Which is the case with any easily accessible internet car forum.

Thanks for stating the obvious again.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 11-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S or McLaren?