Glass roof, Sunroof or nothing ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 PM
TC M3 has a spectacular aura aboutTC M3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Southwest4S
I have metal roof on my 13 C4S. I like the alcantara lining for it but I've thought I might consider glass roof on next one. My only question is whether or not there will be more road noise with glass roof and how the black high-gloss plastic holds up compared to painted metal?
I had glass roof on my '10 E63 and now on my new'14 E63, love it !!!!!!!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:09 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
I'm opting for no sunroof. No noise issues, no rattling issues, and its the trend with all car manufacturers. It's nothing new. Just can't see having to spray window cleaner over half my car!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AJag
Gorgeous, making me regret not going GT Silver.
Agree...
Silver is the way to go with the new 991TT.
There are several white 991 C4S in my area that I've seen in the last 2 months.
There is a white '14 991TT on dealer lot sitting next to dark grey C4S Cab and the cab looks way better.
For some reason, white on the 991TT looks like a GT cruiser, rather than a menacing road machine.

Black would be my 2nd choice: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...iami-pics.html

Don't get me wrong, I like white and just sold my 997 Targa. But our next Porsche will be some silver/gray variation.

Last edited by mark12345; 11-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
I got the glass sun roof. My other cars have it as well. No downside really just a few more bucks. There is a serious downside to not having one at all. Resale.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 AM
TC M3 has a spectacular aura aboutTC M3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by carcommander
I got the glass sun roof. My other cars have it as well. No downside really just a few more bucks. There is a serious downside to not having one at all. Resale.
Good point!!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
If resale was a concern, we wouldn't be buying porsches'. Last thing I would do is try to think of what the next guy wants. I couldn't give a damn what the next guy wants.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Mine has a sunroof in glass. I love it...adds a whole other aspect when driving. I like the extra light you get in the cabin when it is closed, something you will not get with a sunroof in metal. The glass roof makes the inside of the car feel more open and spacious, even when it is closed.

Totally worth the extra money it costs vs the metal sunroof.
Even with the sun screen closed are you saying there is light coming into the car? I just ordered a black on black tts with glass roof. I was originally going to go with no roof but salesman convinced me otherwise. I'm not big on having the sun on me while driving.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zedosix
If resale was a concern, we wouldn't be buying porsches'. Last thing I would do is try to think of what the next guy wants. I couldn't give a damn what the next guy wants.
Me either but I won't have the car the rest of my life and I would like to have as much of my money back as possible when I sell it.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:57 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by zedosix
Even with the sun screen closed are you saying there is light coming into the car? I just ordered a black on black tts with glass roof. I was originally going to go with no roof but salesman convinced me otherwise. I'm not big on having the sun on me while driving.
Very little, if any, with the sunscreen closed. The glass roof is medium tinted to start with, and the screen is a close weave, like privacy screening. You can see out a bit, but sunlight doesn't penetrate, and you can't see into the car from the outside. Thought some pics might illustrate. Go with what you want, but whether you like the open airy feeling the roof gives is just personal preference. My first choice is glass sunroof, second would be solid sunroof, third no roof. I also agree that I'm not concerned about resale regarding the decision to get one or not. Great car with or without a sunroof, really.

You being from Canada, maybe there is less opportunity to use one up there vs in the warm southeastern US (Atlanta) where I live?

Gratuitous car pic.

Name:  CIMG5525_zps42bbb304.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  128.0 KB

Pic with roof closed, but no sunscreen. See the tinting?

Roof and sunscreen closed.

Roof and sunscreen closed, but with some of the solid area between top of passenger window and passenger side sunroof for contrast.

Name:  CIMG5527_zps4f157014.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  73.9 KB

Last edited by 991TurboS; 11-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for taking the time to show me how it looks, much appreciated! It doesn't make choosing any easier!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:59 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I'd recommend you go to your local P dealer and take a seat inside a 991 with the glass roof. You could see how much, if any, light penetration there is. No diff. between the glass roof in the 991 vs the 991TT.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Badknees is infamous around these parts
What is the difference in headroom between glassroof, sunroof and nothing?

Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Badknees
What is the difference in headroom between glassroof, sunroof and nothing?

I have no basis for this statement, hehehe, but I am guessing most headroom with a glass roof with no sunscreen engaged, comparable headroom to a metal sunroof and no sunroof with sunscreen engaged. The glass roof slides open over the back of the car, so I guess the metal roof does as well.

I've never been in a metal sunroof or no sunroof 991 before.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
GT silver is the classic porsche color. I have had several in this color. I ordered White this time, like the very first porsche I owned...when white was "different". And the last thing I want my porsche to like is a "menacing road machine" That's for the corvettes, IMO.

Originally Posted by mark12345
Agree...
Silver is the way to go with the new 991TT.
There are several white 991 C4S in my area that I've seen in the last 2 months.
There is a white '14 991TT on dealer lot sitting next to dark grey C4S Cab and the cab looks way better.
For some reason, white on the 991TT looks like a GT cruiser, rather than a menacing road machine.

Black would be my 2nd choice: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...iami-pics.html

Don't get me wrong, I like white and just sold my 997 Targa. But our next Porsche will be some silver/gray variation.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Here in the deep south, it's either Hard top or Cab. Having a hardtop does not hurt resale here, period.