991 Turbo S v. R8 V10 Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:15 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Same here. Why would you choose the R8? Because IronMan drives one?lol
Do you need any other reason?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 PM
FrstPorsche is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speedsterr
Do you need any other reason?
Alright, after thinking about it that is a valid reason for choosing the R8.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Alright, after thinking about it that is a valid reason for choosing the R8.
And don't forget the best line in Ironman 2 when Stark murmurs to Pepper, "I want one" after seeing the lovely curves of the R8. Or maybe it was those of Scarlett Johannson.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM
FrstPorsche is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan
And don't forget the best line in Ironman 2 when Stark murmurs to Pepper, "I want one" after seeing the lovely curves of the R8. Or maybe it was those of Scarlett Johannson.
I'm sure it was the later. Heard there is a movie out soon showing off more of those curves

Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
I'm sure it was the later. Heard there is a movie out soon showing off more of those curves
Lot of curves in captain america.

So maybe this battle should be won by which car would you rather pick up Scarlett Johansson in?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Saw it - "Under the Skin". One of the most bizarre films ever and actually she looks better with her clothes on - needs to hit the gym lol.

She dated a son of one of my friends for a while (Jack Antonoff, the guitarist for the pop group "Fun"). I met her a couple of times - seemed sweet back then, but I'm sure fame has changed her

Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebishman
I owned a 2010 R8 V10 for about a year. The car rides fantastically with the most compliant ride on broken up roads of any high performance car I've driven; handles incredibly; (granted I had a more aggressive alignment done and played with the tyre pressures); is extremely rapid; has an exhaust note to die for; (a V10 screaming at 8K rpms is epic); and looks very special; (unlike any 911 variant which if we're honest is just thought of by the public as 'another 911'). Mine had the R-Tronic gearbox which I liked, but the new S-Tronic equipped cars take the drivetrain to another level as the S-Tronic is almost as good as the PDK. In many ways the R8 is still very much an 'analogue' type car when most of its competitors are far more 'digital' in nature, although the new version will no doubt copy the characteristics of the GT-R and 991 TTS. God knows the electronics need a damn good revision though.

Bottom line for me is that in every performance metric, the 991 TTS will dominate the R8, but a car isn't just about 'the numbers', it's about the whole experience and in that regard the R8 still beats the Porsche.

Bish
What happened here? 3rd vs 1st place -- and this is from professionals !!

http://m.motortrend.com/features/per...t_drivers_car/

Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Very interesting conversation. I can't take exception to anything said here, but having owned the last three Turbos (last was 997.2 TTS), GT3, GT3RS and current 991 GT3, V10 R8, and a 430 F1 Spyder, I have my thoughts.

The car I got the most giggles and thrills from, but would never buy again, was the R8. I can see how anyone would aspire to own one, but the attention is just over the top. Super comfortable, fast as anything, sounds great, great ride comfort. The guy who said it's at the top of its game is probably right, but it just seems a little tired to me now, and the interior looks dated to my eye. Still, how could any car guy not want one? Still, the car got so much attention that it was bizzare, and became tiring and a PIA. You just couldn't park it anywhere. 430 was close in that regard, but R8 was insane. Kids taking pictures hanging out of their car window, passengers holding him up by his belt, so crazy. TTS, people don't even take a second look. 430 got attention but for some reason people kind of stayed back, kept a distance.

I have to agree with those who favor the TTS. I'm selling my GT3 for one I have on order. Overall, I think it's the nicest everyday supercar for street use for those who prefer to fly under the radar in any weather condition. Four season supercar daily driver.

Money no object, TTS>R8>GT3>F430. For street use.

No offense meant to any owners, they are all wonderful cars. Such good time we live in.

Last edited by Bluehinder; 04-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 AM
2fast4exotics is infamous around these parts
Porsche is the best!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Jonnydeep83 is infamous around these parts
I currently have a 997.1TTS and used to have an 06 Gallardo which I sold several years ago. I had both the Turbo and the Gallardo at the same time and I found myself driving the Turbo a lot more. To me the turbo is a great car and I preferred it. It's great to drive, it's really fast, still demands a certain level of respect, but can still be used as a great daily driver. What the Gallardo (much like the R8 I suspect) could offer over the 911 was that it was an attention getter and it sounded like a damn beast. It says.. hey you... look over here and check me out. Which I will admit is really fun at first but that excitement wears off pretty quickly. At the end of the day I went w/ what I felt was the faster more practical car that I could enjoy the most (get the most driving time in with). Hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Banned
geo0006 is infamous around these partsgeo0006 is infamous around these parts
I love both cars, but with the new 991 turbo technology I would have to go with the 991 turbo. If you asked me the same question before the 991 turbo came out I would say the R8. Plus the R8 is going to introduce a new version soon so its like getting a 997 turbo in comparison.