Bucket List: Goodbye Turbo S, Hello GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 AM
jlee504 is infamous around these parts
I'm dying to drive one, I want to trade mine in for a GT3..or a Turbo S coupe

It would seem like the Turbo S coupe still makes for a good track car, not as great as the GT3 but the ride to and from the track will be far more enjoyable.

I know the setup and tuning is different and more on edge and visceral with the GT3 but all the technology is the same..

Jeff

Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Traded my 997 GT3 on the 991 TT.
That edgy visceral GT3 experience while a ton of fun at first, really did get tiring on the street.
No major regrets here.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:39 PM
2fast4exotics is infamous around these parts
in my opinion it is a direct downgrade going from a 200k car to a 150k car! I've driven a gt3 and for the street it definitely feel slower, with girly torque and I always have to look out for that front end being too low when comparing it to the turboS.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:58 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2fast4exotics
in my opinion it is a direct downgrade going from a 200k car to a 150k car! I've driven a gt3 and for the street it definitely feel slower, with girly torque and I always have to look out for that front end being too low when comparing it to the turboS.

Torque and mod potential were the deciding factors in my buying a TT. Driving my wife's MB with a V8TT is really a treat. The car never feels like you are pushing it. Overtaking on the freeway is effortless rather than frenzied. Granted, not everyone cares about that or will be doing much freeway driving in their GT3 but it was important for me. Someday, when I'm rich I'll just have both!

- Patrick

Old 11-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Cherryblock is just really niceCherryblock is just really niceCherryblock is just really niceCherryblock is just really nice
I'm very fortunate to have a 991 GT3, 992.2 GT3 RS and a 991 TTS. All very different and all have something unique. The RS is visceral and makes my pulse accelerate- the 991 GT3 is special, drive it like a DD in regular mode- way more compliant than the RS and when flipped to the Sport setting incredibly fast/quick- track beast that makes me a much better driver than I really am. As for the 991 TTS- its the perfect all around GT- fast as a comet- compliant- and sophisticated!

Congrats on your purchase you will love it!!

Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 PM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
It must be a special beast to want to trade a TTS. I didn't think it got any better than that!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 AM
Dlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the rough
I have driven both on a track. IMHO the GT3 is bang for bucks especially if you are a tracker. For a week end car it can do as well but you must take it at least above 4,000rpm to get any thrill & enjoy the sound. It feels more nimble & agile than the TTS. For road use the TTS's power is more accessible as you don't have to wring it to over 4,000 to 9,000rpm. Power comes in around 2,200rpm all the way to 7,000rpm. For sheer driving enjoyment it has to be the GT3. For more practicality is the TTS. If the GT3 is a F18 Hornet then the TTS is a Stealth A-117.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
You may have read the post on the 6speed 991 board by a guy who traded in his 991 X51 for a 991 GT3. I found some interesting comments in his superb write-up that really support my personal decision to go with the turbo s as a DD, rather than a GT3. For example:

"The car shifts better, sounds better, feels better above the 6K line. It is clearly built to spend a lot of time there. I used to feel badly about taking my car to redline too often, like I was abusing it. Well, the opposite holds true here. You feel like you are abusing the GT3 by driving around town. It begs you to let it loose. Wait until the first time you have the windows down, hit about hundred miles an hour with the engine howling, and your brain about explodes from the buffeting, sound of the engine, and connection to car through it's steering."

He also comments that the X51 has more grunt at lower RPMs than the GT3. Here in NJ, I value the near instantaneous response of the turbo in traffic. I consider torque a safety feature. I gladly sacrifice the "sturm und drang" GT3 for the comfort and immediacy of the turbo. On the track, a different story.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Dlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the rough
Long story short given a choice between a 2S & a GT3 I would go for the latter without a blink. To choice between a GT3 & a TTS would be a different matter all together. The TTS is an all weather car & as some of you have put it a better all rounder as a DD. I totally agree on that. Some may not like the characteristic of the turbo engine but IMHO turbocharged engines are here to stay. Ferrari will go turbo with the 458 replacement or is it that they will fit a turbocharged V8 into a revised 458 known as the 458M. They have done it with the 2nd gen California. As announced recently the 991.2 will make its debut in 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show in Sept'15 & commence selling as 2016 model. They will have turbocharged engine too but I guess it will be a detuned engine but with more torque as always the case with turbocharged engine. Interesting thing to watch out for is the 991.2 TTS & how much power it will produce. My money will be on 600+hp as competitors are all in the 600+hp region. Techart German tuning outfit has a plug & play Powerkit that produces more than 600hp for the existing TTS. Like before they will introduce the TTS together with the rest of the 991.2 range. Time is of essence here if they do not want to lose out on sales. Given the 991 replacement will be out in 2018/2019 & we have only 3 years or so of 991.2 production run if the launch date for the 991.2 in Sept '15 is proven correct. I think is a reasonable assumption given that the 991 has a 7year life cycle. Launched in 2012 - facelift in 2015 - to be replaced in 2018 or latest by 2019. Cheers mate!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Long story short given a choice between a 2S & a GT3 I would go for the latter without a blink. To choice between a GT3 & a TTS would be a different matter all together. The TTS is an all weather car & as some of you have put it a better all rounder as a DD. I totally agree on that. Some may not like the characteristic of the turbo engine but IMHO turbocharged engines are here to stay. Ferrari will go turbo with the 458 replacement or is it that they will fit a turbocharged V8 into a revised 458 known as the 458M. They have done it with the 2nd gen California. As announced recently the 991.2 will make its debut in 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show in Sept'15 & commence selling as 2016 model. They will have turbocharged engine too but I guess it will be a detuned engine but with more torque as always the case with turbocharged engine. Interesting thing to watch out for is the 991.2 TTS & how much power it will produce. My money will be on 600+hp as competitors are all in the 600+hp region. Techart German tuning outfit has a plug & play Powerkit that produces more than 600hp for the existing TTS. Like before they will introduce the TTS together with the rest of the 991.2 range. Time is of essence here if they do not want to lose out on sales. Given the 991 replacement will be out in 2018/2019 & we have only 3 years or so of 991.2 production run if the launch date for the 991.2 in Sept '15 is proven correct. I think is a reasonable assumption given that the 991 has a 7year life cycle. Launched in 2012 - facelift in 2015 - to be replaced in 2018 or latest by 2019. Cheers mate!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM
My apology accidentally posted twice here the same reply. Thank you.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:19 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2fast4exotics

I don't understand why $$ has anything to do with this topic? Just because a certain car is more expensive, it makes it a better car? I'm not arguing whether the 991 Turbo S or the GT3 is a better a car here. Both cars serve different purposes. I'm trying to understand your logic. The MBZ SL65 AMG has a base sticker price before added options of $215k. Does that make it an upgrade from the 991 Turbo S?

SL65 AMG Roadster

$215,250 MSRP*

I don't know which GT3 you drove, but I can assure you, the 991 GT3 is not girly torque.. Sure it's not the torque of a 911 tt, but it holds it's own in my opinion. I'm coming off of back to back modded turbos myself and the GT3 sure feels quick enough for me.

As far as the lowered stance on the car goes, anybody that lowers their turbo S would have the same ground clearance issues. That is where the front end lift system comes in handy..

Don't want to be overly critical of your opinion, but I just wanted to get that off my chest...

Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 PM
mezger is infamous around these partsmezger is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AJag
Congrats, so what are your impressions so far?
Well it's been a week now and I have no regrets. The Turbo in comparison to the GT3 would be like an SUV. What a difference. Nimble is the operative word.
I replaced the Dunlop track tires with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and am looking for some long Interstate road trips to pile on some miles. Can't wait to hear that motor wail. I had a 2007 GT3 with a GMG exhaust - what music! Life is good.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
mezger is infamous around these partsmezger is infamous around these parts
FYI: The GMG Exhaust has been sold and shipped out today. Thank you for the interest/inquiries. The Dunlop tires (dealer take-offs) 305/30ZR20 and 245/35ZR20 are still for sale.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Mezger throw up a few pictures. Would love to see the new ride. I had a chuckle over the SUV comment. I came from a 991 c2 and it felt much lighter on its toes as well. I got a chance to drive the new GT3 and its steering and PDK-s are spectacular. Everything is sharper. The car has the most presence of any car in the 991 line up and revving the motor to 9k was intoxicating. I'm just not sure I could live with everyday as a DD. I would miss the torque of the turbo. I actually have seen a few guys here in Dallas in the forum with the GT3. I'll have to see if they want to do a few runs around Dallas. I'll set up the go pro.

Btw why did you replace the dunlops so fast with PSS? I am a fan of the PSS as well, replaced my last P zeros with them on my 13 991. Those dunlops were the advantage to the GT3 being faster around the ring than the Turbo though.

Boost- That sl has matured into one of the ugliest vehicles over 100k. It looks like a tranny. Price aside the turbo is still faster. I wouldn't bite on trolls looking for a reaction either.

Last edited by tommyboy214; 11-18-2014 at 09:01 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bucket List: Goodbye Turbo S, Hello GT3